Engine Hoist Cherry Picker recommendations.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May be doing an engine swap pull for my 22r Toyota.

Civic a rear main seal replacement.

Also I want the option of doing one man cylinder head pull.

I’d rather spend a bit more and have some better features.

Any input appreciated.

Is the Toyota a 4X4?
If so make sure your hoist has enough lift height.

A gizmo that allows you to tilt the engine is nice.

How many men does it take to remove a Cyl head??

If space is limited, it's nice to have a cherry picker that dissembles and packs away in a small space.

Don't use a cheapo come-along from China Mart. Just don't. Let's just say I had an experience that was almost a very bad one.

Cylinder head pull with a tweaked back is a two person job. For a Sasquatch even with a bad back maybe just one.

Chain hoist would require overhead anchor.

I was pondering the Harbor Freight ones....? Might sport for an engine stand as well.

I ended up getting my hoist from Northern Tool. Got the 2000 lb one so I had lots of excess capacity = safety. Check their ads; they do go on sale. The 1000 lb one probably is fine for capacity but doesn't extend as far. And the farther you extend the boom the lower the capacity becomes due to leverage.

Used it to pull a 3.0 V6 from a '91 Ranger. The height was close. As was mentioned, if it's a 4x4 it could be a challenge. However, you can always pull the front wheels and rest the axles on some stout lumber to make it more accessible by being alot closer to the ground. I did that with the Ranger just in case.

It sits now folded nicely on the side wall of my garage. Get the engine leveler, too as it allows you to adjust the tilt of the engine both coming out and going back in. I thought about not getting it, but when I used it I realized I'd have been crazy not to.

I ended up getting an engine stand from them, too, as I recall, though it might have been HF. It was so-so but for lighter engines works well. I had to grease the pivot so I could rotate the assembly more easily. Do that in advance as there isn't a grease zerk.

Re pulling a head, I think those heads are aluminum, but a bad back means be extra careful, like having a strong buddy to help.

I never needed someone to help me with a cylinder head (well just one on a straight 8) in 40 yrs of doing this, they are not that heavy even the the old iron straight 6 is easy enough to do alone without a hoist.

These little engines are light and easy to lift out almost anything inc the cheap Horror freight thing can do it easy.
If you do large iron V8's that's another story.

dont grab a low capacity one.. as was mentioned a larger capacity one just works better...

HF 2000lb one is OK any of the lower ones is flimsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back