Encrypting disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, bear with me a second. I was always told when backing my files up to keep a copy in a safe location as well as one close by. I would like to encrypt these disks, just dont know how. I tried to download an encryption program but couldnt figure out how to get it onto disk. Anyone willing to explain it to me like I am a dummy? Thanks.

Have you considered using say a 500 mb flash memory and really keeping it in a good location? You can wear it around your neck.
smile.gif

Yea, it was just a thought. I think if you check around you can get a gig for 50 bucks or so.

Hopefully someone will give you the answer you are looking for.
grin.gif

buy a 4 gig... last I checked that was the "sweet spot" of price vs size for USB flash drives.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
buy a 4 gig... last I checked that was the "sweet spot" of price vs size for USB flash drives.

JMH

Wow..I bought a .5G one in march ant that was like 37 bucks. Crazy.

Most backup software gives you the option to password protect your files which is what I do.

You will probably not be able to encrypt/password protect the disks you already made, epecially if they are write-once. I assume you're using CDs/DVDs, and even with the re-writables, it gets complicated once data with data already burned to the disc.

If you don't use backup software and simple drag and drop, there's plenty of programs that that encrypt your files prior copying them elsewhere. Winzip is still free (I think) that will compress and encrypt your files.

I agree that flash sticks are great for this purpose. I hope you still don't use floppies!

just save whatever you want onto cd's or whatever and store them in a safe bolted to the floor in a closet in youre house. thats what most people do. you can get a really good fire proof safe for a couple hundred bucks. you can also store papers, pictures, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back