Emailed Mag1 regarding their Euro spec oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I asked the Mag1 support team about using the following product:

http://mag1.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=feb26b17-c445-4631-ac06-5f688312182f (Euro Spec 5W-40)

Their response was interesting.

"You should not use our Mag 1 European formula in your 2013 Hyundai Sonata. It will void the warranty as it is the improper fluid. My vehicle guidebook states you need a motor oil meeting API SM certified by the American Petroleum Institute (starburst symbol). Our Mag 1 European formula does not have the "starburst" symbol, only the API "donut" as it is formulated for European vehicles. For more information regarding this topic please see this link : http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/categories/upload/motor_oil_guide_2010_120210.pdf
Regarding viscosity grade for temperatures you should follow your owner's manual.
Thank you for your question."

I don't think a 5W-40/0W-40 exists that carries the starburst symbol??

This is what Hyundai said about using that grade.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3356601/1

"The reason SAE 5W40 is also recommended for the Sonata and Genesis Coupe is because their engine management systems differ from the Santa Fe Sport Turbo and are calibrated more aggresively to obtain the extra Horsepower they possess."

I'm probably over thinking all of this, I honestly don't see the harm in trying 5W-40. Like I said before, I'm just experimenting to see how it does against 5W-30. I will not use it long term if UOA results yield poor results.

Has anyone received mixed recommendations like this before? By the way the manual even allows for API SL if SM isn't available. Not sure if that makes much of a difference.

-Thanks

Unless the used oil analysis shows poor results?

What results exactly are you looking for?
I'm sure your aware that wear cannot be measured by used oil analysis so if your just looking to see how the oil holds up I'm sure the euro blend will hold up as good as or better than most 5w-30 oils,unless the 5w-30 meets the Honda turbo spec then it's a toss up in my eyes.
Don't make the mistake of believing wear is measurable with a used oil analysis as many here do.

Originally Posted By: Swift101
I don't think a 5W-40/0W-40 exists that carries the starburst symbol??

Yeah, most of these are too thick to qualify for the fuel economy requirements as stipulated by ILSAC GF-5, which is basically what the starburst symbol is, especially if they meet Euro specs that require high HT/HS viscosity.

Quote:
Yeah, most of these are too thick to qualify for the fuel economy requirements as stipulated by ILSAC GF-5, which is basically what the starburst symbol is, especially if they meet Euro specs that require high HT/HS viscosity.

Ah, it makes sense now. Thanks for the clearing that up.

Looks like I got worked up over nothing, OCD kicked in. I'm becoming more and more obsessed with oil.
crazy.gif

I think you mentioned before how my manual contradicts itself, they recommend ILSAC GF-5 then go ahead and recommend 5W-40.

I think you mentioned before how my manual contradicts itself, they recommend ILSAC GF-5 then go ahead and recommend 5W-40.

Last time we had that discussion, I think someone mentioned that Eneos 5w-40 is ILSAC GF-5 approved; however, when you find a close-up of the bottle, you'll see that they only show the API donut and not the starburst, so I'm not sure what tricks they're playing there...

http://www.eneos.us/product/5

You got an honest and driect answer from the blender.
You and all of us should be very impressed to have seen this.
Most reponses to any question from any blender are full of weasel words and qualification.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You got an honest and driect answer from the blender.
You and all of us should be very impressed to have seen this.
Most reponses to any question from any blender are full of weasel words and qualification.

Yeah that's true, they did a good job. There main goal is cover their own behind just in case something happens. I think in this case though I could probably use their Euro 5W-40 if I wanted to since that grade is listed in the owners manual, even if it's contradicting itself.

Well, if you really want to use a forty grade, I'd be inclined to either use what you're using now or M1 0W-40.
At least the M1 is cheap and readily available at Walmart.
Covering their own behind?
They gave you an honest answer.
They didn't have to and could have left it to you.
That would have been covering their own behind.

Well, if you really want to use a forty grade, I'd be inclined to either use what you're using now or M1 0W-40.

I'm glad they gave me an honest answer, I know they could have given me a far worse response. I appreciate that they went into detail regarding the "starburst" symbol. I didn't mean to come off as being harsh with my statement. I just wanted to point out that by answering me the way they did they dint't leave any room for error.

Has anyone received mixed recommendations like this before? By the way the manual even allows for API SL if SM isn't available. Not sure if that makes much of a difference.

Further to what I mentioned in the 0w-40 thread, if what you're using is allowed by the manual, don't worry about it. What you're hearing from Mag1 isn't much different than what Shell states about using Rotella 5w-40 in the same application.

Contrary to what others have stated in this thread, I wouldn't let Mag1 off the hook so easily (I didn't let Shell off the hook either). The manual lists an SM 5w-40 as an allowable choice. Whether or not that is the optimal choice is another matter. The book says you can use it. Mag1 Euro 5w-40 and Rotella 5w-40 both have the SM specification. If either company is concerned with people using them in North American and Asian gasoline engines that call for a 5w-40, they should yank the SM specification and instead rely on the ACEA A3/B4, CJ-4, and ACEA E sequences that either product meets.

If anything, Mag1 should look at their sheet stating A3/B4-08, then take a look at their desk calendar, and then read through the ACEA dating rules and update things as needed.

I'm glad they gave me an honest answer, I know they could have given me a far worse response. I appreciate that they went into detail regarding the "starburst" symbol. I didn't mean to come off as being harsh with my statement. I just wanted to point out that by answering me the way they did they dint't leave any room for error.

I've used WPP's Euro 5W-40 and M1 0W-40 in my NA Jetta. It's really an overkill, but my manual requires VAG 502.00 oil, which both are rated for. Yes, both are not energy conserving oils so you won't see the starbust symbol.

Either one would be fine to use. I didn't notice that much of a difference in both. I just felt like my car liked the 0W-40 more as it was smoother in higher RPMs based on my butt-dyno.

PS. I'm using SynPower 5W-40 now because it was on sale at NAPA. It's a little quieter than the M1 at lower RPMs, but I think the M1 is still a better choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back