ELF is gone....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was announced in November of last year, and took nearly six months to occur, but ELF Excellium was no longer on the shelves at my local Import Car Parts store. In its place is TOTAL Quartz Energy 9000.

Same oil, from the same company, at the same price, but a different bottle, and a more cumbersome name.

Last edited:
Yes, there are cross reference charts available. ELF Excellium Full-Tech 0W/30 is now TOTAL Quartz Energy 9000 0W/30 - in an ugly gray bottle (my opinion only).

The "9000" indicates full synthetics, as "700" is the identifier for semi-synthetics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MI_Roger

Same oil, from the same company, at the same price, but a different bottle, and a more cumbersome name.

Not so certain about Elf and Total being completely equivalent. From what I can tell, Total doesn't have a full syn 10W50 in their lineup, as did Elf.

Originally Posted By: tilley
Originally Posted By: MI_Roger

Not so certain about Elf and Total being completely equivalent. From what I can tell, Total doesn't have a full syn 10W50 in their lineup, as did Elf.

Total does list a fully synthetic 10W/50. They call it a Racing Oil, but lists the regulat assortment of approvals/classifications.

Total 10W/50 Racing Oil

Given that Elf is simply a subsidiary of the Total Group, chances are that that the product range is closely aligned (and probably the same chemistry if push comes to shove). Think Shell and Pennzoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back