Electric Vehicles and the Climate Conundrum: Unmasking the True Titans of Greenhouse Gas Emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who's always been passionate about the potential of electric vehicles (EVs), I've spent a great deal of time exploring their role as a mitigator against global warming. The allure of EVs is undeniable - they promise a future of clean, green transportation, free from the shackles of fossil fuels. But as I've delved deeper into the complexities of global warming, I've come to a sobering realization: EVs alone can't save our planet.

Global warming is a multifaceted beast, with its roots reaching far beyond the realm of transportation. The burning of fossil fuels for electricity and heat, industrial processes, and agriculture - these are the true titans of greenhouse gas emissions. Cars, while not innocent, are but a fraction of the problem.

The electricity that powers EVs often comes from burning fossil fuels, which contributes to greenhouse gas emissions. The production of EVs, particularly the mining of metals for their batteries, also has significant environmental and human rights implications.

The focus on cars as the main cause of greenhouse gas emissions is misplaced. It's an easy narrative to sell, but it's not the whole story. The real culprits - electricity and heat production, industry, and agriculture - lurk in the shadows, their contributions often overlooked in the rush to demonize cars.

The push towards EVs, while well-intentioned, is not without its problems. It focuses on a relatively small part of the problem - cars - while largely ignoring the larger sources of greenhouse gas emissions. This focus on cars can create the impression that replacing internal combustion engine cars with EVs is all that's needed to combat global warming. This is not the case.

Addressing global warming requires a comprehensive approach that includes not only a shift to cleaner forms of transportation, but also changes in our energy systems, industrial processes, agricultural practices, and consumption patterns.

As we move forward, we must focus on larger issues such as nuclear expansion, reducing reliance on gas, ending pointless consumerism and fast fashion, and avoiding the demonization of car and van drivers.

In the end, addressing global warming is not just about technology; it's also about choices. It's about the choices we make as individuals, as communities, and as a society.

I am disappointed that EVs can't save our planet. But I am hopeful that we, as a society, can. We have the knowledge, the technology, and the resources. What we need now is the will. So let's choose to make a difference. Let's choose to act. For ourselves, for our children, and for our planet. Because when it comes to global warming, there is no Planet B.

In the 70's LA, they used to say, "I don't trust any air I can't see!"
1687580217422.png

Flip side: I don't care.

1) They remove my dependence for daily use on foreign interests.
2) They are cheap as hell to drive.
3) They are cheap as hell to maintain.
4) Performance is next level. I'll never go back to ICE.
Houses, unnecessary overseas imports and Industrial sources make the most pollution.

One could argue due to the permanent nature of disposable plastic that is the #1 threat to life on Earth and is a unintentional genetic mutagenic test on all of life on earth, changes in males due to plastics solvents behaving as female hormones as one good example of a worldwide change from unteathered plastic production.

Any form of GCW discussion leads to political implications. As such any discussion of GCW and politics are discouraged as per the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back