Electric lawn mowers

And you would lose that bet:

Lol! They will go broke replacing those batteries under warranty...

My 15 year old gas powered Toro Super Recycler is still going strong. But I secretly look forward to the day that it dies, so I can upgrade to a battery operated mower. As @Astro14 mentioned, I will not miss having to deal with stinky gas, changing plugs and air filters, cumbersome oil changes, worrying about spilled gas dripping from the deck onto my lawn. I won't miss the mower smoking after tilting it on it's side to put on a sharp blade. I won't miss having to wear hearing protection.

After my Stihl string trimmer engine wouldn't stay running this spring, I treated myself to a Milwaukee M18 string trimmer and leaf blower. Although my Stihl leaf blower still works great, the two tool package deal was too good to pass up. I don't miss the 2 cycle tools at all. The M18 string trimmer doesn't drip gas on me when I tilt it to edge the lawn. The muffler doesn't burn me. I don't have to wear hearing protection. No mixing 2 cycle fuel.

Since the Stihl leaf blower still runs good, I would, on occasion start it up and use it instead of the M18 leaf blower. But I do that less and less, as the M18 is so nice to use.

So no, I won't be nursing the B&S on my Toro, trying to keep it alive in hopes of avoiding a battery powered mower. Instead, I'll be giddy with excitement when the old Toro gives up the ghost, looking forward to enjoying a battery powered mower.

Tell your small engine repair man that he better be finding a side gig, because that bubble that he plans on enjoying, will burst.
You better hope you get a mower with good quality batteries, or you'll be wishing you had that old, noisy, messy gas mower back...

Lol! They will go broke replacing those batteries under warranty...

I can't relate to your claims that tool batteries don't last for more than a couple years.

My first battery operated tool was a Craftsman 19.2 volt 1/2" drill. Even thought he batteries were the old ni-cad type, they still lasted well over 10 years. All my current battery operated tools are M18. The oldest batteries are going on 7 years old, and no sign of stopping. They perform just as well as my newest batteries.

Does anybody here actually work in sales of lawn equipment at a dealer or a big box store. I cam see that the displays are about 3/4 electric now. But I would be curious what ratio of electric to gas equipment actually going out the front door is.

A new battery is $127, less than a trip to the lawnmower repair shop to have the carb rebuilt after forgetting to use Sta-bil over the winter.

I've never used Sta-bil in my riding mower, nor have I ever drained the 10% ethanol gas I use in it over the winter, and I've never had a carb problem with it. That's going on 7 years now.

Parts availability is likely going to be a problem at some point… what is the small engine repair guy going to do when parts pricing goes through the roof and lead times push out? Does he think there are going to be hoards of mower diehards out there willing to pay top dollar to keep their Toros and Troys Bilts going? Cause I sure don’t.

You better hope you get a mower with good quality batteries, or you'll be wishing you had that old, noisy, messy gas mower back...
Great heavens. So much angst. So much fear. So much hand-wringing.

How do you buy anything? How do you know your car is any good? Appliances? Cell phone? Computer?

I don’t wish I had that messy old gas mower back. Not one bit. I have eliminated all of the maintenance for yard equipment. Hedge trimmer. Leaf blower. String trimmer. Mower.

Pick them up, push the button and go. No starting. No fuss.

No gasoline to be bought or stored. No maintenance required. Sharpen a blade, now and then, load some string now and then. That’s it. It’s great! So easy. I spend a lot less time on equipment maintenance, and repair, and more time doing things that I enjoy more.

Hope was not my strategy, and fear of the unknown wasn’t an impediment.

This is a smaller purchase than a cell phone. Much smaller than a car. Do your research. Make your choice.

I've never used Sta-bil in my riding mower, nor have I ever drained the 10% ethanol gas I use in it over the winter, and I've never had a carb problem with it. That's going on 7 years now.
Wow lucky. I didn't have a problem for 5-6 years either. Then a couple of seasons ago my mower died. Tool it to the local repair guy and there was significant white build -up on the pick-up tune an float bowl.

Does anybody here actually work in sales of lawn equipment at a dealer or a big box store. I cam see that the displays are about 3/4 electric now. But I would be curious what ratio of electric to gas equipment actually going out the front door is.
That may be a regional thing or dependent on the retailer. What I'm seeing in my area is actually having more overall choices. Same gas options and the addition of electric options.

Wow lucky. I didn't have a problem for 5-6 years either. Then a couple of seasons ago my mower died. Tool it to the local repair guy and there was significant white build -up on the pick-up tune an float bowl.

One thing that probably helps is I keep it in my garage, so it's not getting rained on. I've seen small engines with fuel caps that have a vent hole in them. Leave one of those out in the rain and see what happens. It won't be good.

. . . Pick them up, push the button and go. No starting. No fuss. . . .

I didn't fully appreciate this until I bought my M18 string trimmer and leaf blower. When people would tell me this, I would think "It is no big deal to start my trimmer. Pump the bulb five times, set the choke, pull the cord three times, and it starts right up. Oh, and then I would have to nurse the choke for half a minute, maybe a minute.

But now that i use my M18 trimmer, I totally appreciate the difference. Snap on the battery and pull the throttle. Full power immediately. No worry about if the engine is warmed up enough, and if the throttle will have to be feathered back and forth. Just power when I pull the throttle.

I also have no desire to go back go gas powered tools.

Have had a cheap HyperTough 40v for a couple years - just trim and do tight areas ahead of the LT … it’s been great …

My Greenworks 40v mower just quit this summer. It lasted 10 years. The batteries are still fully functioning and hold a charge.

I will be upgrading to an Ego 56v push mower next Spring. I already have an Ego 2-stage snow blower and weed trimmer. The only gas powered tool I have is the Craftsman lawn tractor. I will eventually replace that also with an Ego riding mower as well.

...String trimmer...

Pick them up, push the button and go. No starting. No fuss.

I have a Makita trimmer, the thing is great and as you say you just pick it up and go. Zero maintenance.

Using a gas mower that the previous owner of my house left behind, it's a Craftsman which I assume is a Snapper. Works fine, smokes like crazy every 5th time I use it or so. Once it starts giving me trouble it'll go to the curb and get replaced by a Makita electric.

jeff

My Greenworks 40v mower just quit this summer. It lasted 10 years. The batteries are still fully functioning and hold a charge.

I will be upgrading to an Ego 56v push mower next Spring. I already have an Ego 2-stage snow blower and weed trimmer. The only gas powered tool I have is the Craftsman lawn tractor. I will eventually replace that also with an Ego riding mower as well.
What is there to quit working on an electric LM other than the batteries?

Back