Electric bicycle rules on walking path

My ebike came with headlite taillite brakelite and a loud horn. I'm in the sticks and just ride the roads. 25 on a bike is fast! And I've been 130 on a MC.
You should take on some of my hills. :) I'm not going to say they are huge but I have hit 45mph in the past--these days, my sense of mortality has been kicking in. I rarely go past 35 anymore.

Again, downhill!

We cycled parts of the Paul Bunyan and Heartland trails in north-central Minnesota in May, and would say that we were in the minority with our old human-powered bikes.

I agree that trails shared by walkers, runners, scooters, bikes, and e-bikes are not ideal.

Our newer local paved trails are marked with two lanes for bikes and one for pedestrians, which seems to work well.

When cycling and overtaking a pedestrian, I try to give lots of warning with the bell, and call out "Bike passing on your left".

Unfortunately, a lot of pedestrians wear headphones and don't hear me.
Those "old human-powered bikes" are what I call REAL bikes. All these electric powered/assisted bikes are NOT real cycling.

You should take on some of my hills. :) I'm not going to say they are huge but I have hit 45mph in the past--these days, my sense of mortality has been kicking in. I rarely go past 35 anymore.

Again, downhill!
My wife and I rode out on Friday evening, picked up some take-out food, and rode over to a nice park to enjoy a picnic supper.

The posted speed limit on the road entering the park was 30 kph (c. 19 mph), so of course I had break 30 for a brief time to say I'd broken the speed limit on my bike.

It won't happen on level ground when the speed limit is much higher, I'm sure.

With my mitochondrial dysfunction, I look like I'm physically capable, but I can't hike more than about 500 feet without running out of energy. eBikes are wonderful, and 500 watts ain't enough.

The Metro park system local to me allows class 1 EBikes. Class 1 is pedal assisted up to 20 MPH. The same park system doesn't allow electric scooters.

I use to ride a lot. The worst overall group of people on the trails are fit guys on road bikes in full tour de France gear.
They pedal as fast as they can and yell "on your left" one second before they pass you.

And maybe require them to carry insurance also.
This is the "hole" in everybody's insurance issue-mine included. And we are talking about both motorized and regular bikes. Many are under the false impression that their homeowners will cover them-it will not. But finding bike cycle coverage is both limited and expensive.

With my mitochondrial dysfunction, I look like I'm physically capable, but I can't hike more than about 500 feet without running out of energy. eBikes are wonderful, and 500 watts ain't enough.
They certainly have their place, if used responsibly (which I'm sure you do).

I'm not the biggest fan of regulation but there definitely needs to be rules related to devices that can do 20+ mph next to pedestrians.

No, what should be enabled is the beatdown/backhand slapping of stupid people that ruin things for everyone today. This is needed because of poor parenting.

It seems there's a large outcry that there's not much respect around anymore, but just like capital punishment, the average candy-___ US Citizen doesn't have the stomach to rectify the situation and just is more comfortable with more rules/regulations/legislation.

Once it's legislated, it doesn't go away....

Again, downhill!
7 or 8 years ago Wife and I took a van (supposed to be the Cog Train but it was broken) up to Pikes Peak and rode rental bikes down. They would close off sections at a time of the road to cars while a bunch of us wizzed pass. Fun!! Great views! Hot brakes! No oxygen at the top! No pedestrians!

E-bikes allow those of us that can no longer hike to enjoy the outdoors.
They also allow people that are too lazy to hike or to peddle to enjoy the outdoors. Just like the able bodied people in Walmart that ride around in the electric wheel chairs.

Last edited:
Once E bikes are allowed on walking/bicycle trails where does it stop? How about E ATVs?
Can I drive my Tesla there?

One more thing being ruined by technology.
Every bike path I have been on says "No Motorized vehicles". This generally accepted as cars, trucks, ATVs, etc. It is also generally understand this DOES NOT INCLUDE e-bikes. But again, throttle e-bikes are a problem.

They also allow people that are too lazy to hike of to peddle to enjoy the outdoors. Just like the able bodied people in Walmart that ride around in the electric wheel chairs.
They also let those of us who are in shape climb mountains/hills that would prove obstacles otherwise. My wife is 71-she can climb mountains on her e-bike-literally.

Every bike path I have been on says "No Motorized vehicles". This generally accepted as cars, trucks, ATVs, etc. It is also generally understand this DOES NOT INCLUDE e-bikes. But again, throttle e-bikes are a problem.
Where I ride, e-bikes are specifically prohibited. To paraphrase from their website: "Motorcycles, motorized bikes or gas- or electric-assisted cycles of any kind are prohibited". Note however these rules were written back in about 1970. I suspect at some point they will re-write the rules since there are tons of e-bikes there every day. But the proliferation of e-bikes has led to various other "gray area" bikes being present also; dirt bikes, quads, electric bikes with throttles, etc. I recently was behind a guy on an e-bike and he never pedalled one time in the couple miles or so I could see him; eventually he pulled away since he was doing 20+ and I was going full steam at 17-18 on the flats.

Where I ride, e-bikes are specifically prohibited. To paraphrase from their website: "Motorcycles, motorized bikes or gas- or electric-assisted cycles of any kind are prohibited". Note however these rules were written back in about 1970. I suspect at some point they will re-write the rules since there are tons of e-bikes there every day. But the proliferation of e-bikes has led to various other "gray area" bikes being present also; dirt bikes, quads, electric bikes with throttles, etc. I recently was behind a guy on an e-bike and he never pedalled one time in the couple miles or so I could see him; eventually he pulled away since he was doing 20+ and I was going full steam at 17-18 on the flats.
The argument for throttles is by those who are elderly or otherwise weak. Their feelings are when they need to cross a street and come to a complete stop-when they need to start moving again they use the throttle to get going and then go back to peddle assist. That's the argument. Yes-I would agree there are those "motorcycle looking" e-bikes that zip along (via throttle) without regard for anybody-it seems.

They also allow people that are too lazy to hike or to peddle to enjoy the outdoors. Just like the able bodied people in Walmart that ride around in the electric wheel chairs.
Nine times out of ten I see fat-a**, out of shape lazy people riding these E-bikes on the bike trails. Comical. They need to get a life and step away from that dinner plate.

Back