educate me on filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to understand the inner workings of an oil filter. Pros and cons of different materials and designs. Thanks guy I look forward to learning
smile.gif

Last edited:
You should take a look around the oil filter forum. There is a lot of good information and discussions there.

Check back if you have any specific questions.
cheers3.gif

Simple

Buy major name brand

Change as per manufacturer interval

That's a good starting point and if you want to ask simple questions then that's an equivalent simple answer

You can easily learn more through previous threads.

Depends how you value your time. After a lot of learning, many people discover that the above is all you need to know.

Others get obsessed!

If you want to tap into knowledge, ask specific questions ESP for particular vehicles, and you'll get advice on what's best for your circumstances.

Oil filter brands have little if any effect on the life of your engine. All you need to do is make sure you follow the owners manual suggested oil change intervals. I use all different types and none are much better than the others. There is really no study out there that proves any meaningful difference in oil filter brands. Mostly all of the hype is marketing.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Oil filter brands have little if any effect on the life of your engine. All you need to do is make sure you follow the owners manual suggested oil change intervals. I use all different types and none are much better than the others. There is really no study out there that proves any meaningful difference in oil filter brands. Mostly all of the hype is marketing.

^^This

I agree that oil filter brand makes little effect on engine life, if FCI is within reasonable period. I may use Fram Extra Guard(if nothing else is available) oil filter up to 10-12k miles in a good/clean engine as long as a good air filter is used. If I do 15-20k miles OCI with 1 oil filter, I wouldn't use 1 Fram Extra Guard for that long, I would use something else that can handle extra long OCI.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I want to understand the inner workings of an oil filter. Pros and cons of different materials and designs. Thanks guy I look forward to learning
smile.gif

First lesson in oil filter 101; "One filter, One OCI!"

smile.gif

All you need to know is that every time you change your oil, just use the FRAM Extra Guard orange can.

What are the differences in the anti drain back valves and filter media? Like different materials ect.

Comparison of a good ADV and ADV failure...
Oil Filter Construction Faulty example
How it's made Fram- (TURN OFF the sound on how it's made, and listen to Powerhouse, correct background music for any How It's made robot... )

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: carwreck
Comparison of a good ADV and ADV failure...
Oil Filter Construction Faulty example
How it's made Fram- (TURN OFF the sound on how it's made, and listen to Powerhouse, correct background music for any How It's made robot... )

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
X 10!

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
smile.gif

All you need to know is that every time you change your oil, just use the FRAM Extra Guard orange can.

While I find KevGuy's continual shilling for Fram orange cans a mystery, you could do exactly as he suggests and you'd have no more likelihood of problems than you would using any other oil filter.
If you want something a bit better and a bit cheaper, just wait for the next AAP $5.00 online sale on P1s and combine it with one of AAP's many online coupon codes.
For that matter, there are oil change specials on a regular basis that feature higher tier filters.
When you combine these specials with an MIR, you end up with a quality synthetic oil and a quality synthetic media filter for cheap.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy

As much as I dislike the FRAM OCOD, I would do as KevGuy suggests as opposed to an OCI using a filter multiple times.
02.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back