Edelbrock supercharged Subaru FA20 (Built Block)

hey guys, long term lurker,

Looking for recommendations on what oil to run. Motor blew on the dyno back in December 2023.
Specs are as followed:

• stock compression 12.5:1
  • IAG spec forged rods/ARP 2000 1/2inch head studs
  • king XPG main and rod bearings
  • JE FSR Forged pistons
  • Closed deck case with CNC machined O-ring receiver grooves around the bore surface.
Setup is rated for about 700WHP but ill be aiming for no more than 350-400. Currently breaking her in on 10w40 Motul break-in oil for the first
1000 miles.

75E6F90C-C463-435F-BB0E-8A5FC7A844B6.JPG

What type of transmission are you running? That's some pretty big horsepower for a Subaru.

Tranny has been built with strengthened 3rd and 4th gear. Yeah I don’t really plan to run her too hard. She’ll be a street weapon.

40wt when running E85
20wt when running pump gas
Not really a fan of 20wt on these motors tho
@High Performance Lubricants has some no vii oil that would probably be a great one to look at. I would contact them. I like Redline High Performance 5w30 with its high hths of 3.8. Maybe @Pablo for some advice from our Amsoil dude. I would look at their 0w40 or maybe he has a hotrod oil or something that would fit the bill. Welcome!!!

hey guys, long term lurker,

Looking for recommendations on what oil to run. Motor blew on the dyno back in December 2023.
Specs are as followed:

• stock compression 12.5:1
  • IAG spec forged rods/ARP 2000 1/2inch head studs
  • king XPG main and rod bearings
  • JE FSR Forged pistons
  • Closed deck case with CNC machined O-ring receiver grooves around the bore surface.
Setup is rated for about 700WHP but ill be aiming for no more than 350-400. Currently breaking her in on 10w40 Motul break-in oil for the first
1000 miles.

View attachment 214424

Motor Blew on the Dyno, Wow!
How many quarts of Oil does this Motor hold in it?

What were the Dyno Numbers?

That kind of power requires a stout oil.
Some off the shelf WalMart stuff that will hold up includes:
M1 15W-50
M1 10W-40 4t motorcycle oil (a superb choice for race engines, high ZDDP, high HTHS, shear proof)
M1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck might be worth considering. (don't be fooled by the name, has plenty of ZDDP and good HTHS)
Valvoline V1 racing oil in various forms.

Last edited:
The $20,000 that the last owner spent to build the 450 HP motor in the WRX I had a few years ago, listed 10W40 if I recall. How much have you spent on it?
closed to that much, about 16k not including tuning 😣.But what can i say, gotta pay to play, right?

Motor Blew on the Dyno, Wow!
How many quarts of Oil does this Motor hold in it?

What were the Dyno Numbers?
yeah it was def an eye opening experience. The rods in the stock BRZ motor are too weak to hold boost. This platform was not meant to be boosted from the factory, hence the higher compression ratio and thinner rods. The WRX that shares the same motor is turbo'd and has thicker rods and lower CR to handle boost. Rod number 4 snapped in half and blew a hole the size of a grapefruit through
the top of the block. She made about 305HP with 198 FTLB of torque @ 10 PSI of boost. With the upgraded oil cooler she holds about 6.5 quarts.

Back