Ecoboost with Mobil 1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the massive reduction in flash point and the indicated fuel I'd say most of the viscosity loss is due to the fuel dilution.

I would expect to see the other stuff trend down as the engine breaks-in.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I've been wondering what the effect of fuel dilution in motor oil would have on viscosity. So looking up the viscosity of gasoline from various web sources, and using the Widman calculator, I estimate that it would have a viscosity of .48 cSt at 100C, presuming the oil keeps it in a liquid state. (It's a bit past my chemistry knowledge to calculate the viscosity of what is left of gasoline when it is heated to 100C.)

So assuming that the 1.5% fuel dilution is true, and that the gasoline has a viscosity of .48 cSt @100C, and the M1 0w40 has a viscosity of 13.5, a final viscosity of the mixture can be calculated.

(Drum roll, please.)

Widman yields a number of 12.8 cSt with 1.5% fuel dilution in the oil. Since Blackstone got a viscosity of 10.5, there must be some shear occurring.

Keep in mind [censored]'s fuel dilution numbers are regarded as being quite low. The flashpoint was heavily impacted which leads me to believe that there is more fuel in the oil than indicated. I'm sure there was some shear but probably not as much as it appears.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Nice choice and a good example of why 5w20 just doesn't cut it in these engines.

A HDEO 5w40 might handle the fuel dilution better. Would be interesting to see, but no complaints from me on the M1's performance here.

The OEM oil recommendation is 5W-30 i believe, not 5W-20. On the dedicated F-150 EB forums there are several good looking 5W-30 uoa as well.

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6-f150-ecoboost-chat/978-oil-sample-testing-6.html

Wow, that engine beat the tar outta that M1 0W-40!

10.5cst, and 2.7 TBN at 7k???

It's yelling 'mercy!!!'

I think I'm gonna stick with the 0w40 , and keep changing the oil when the monitor is around 25% . I am tempted to try the rotella t6 but just refilled with Mobil . The winter warm ups were for defrosting but again , as I work out of town , I do t do that every day. I've owned the truck just shy of 2 years and am just under 17k. The truck runs superb and would beat the brakes off my 5.3 Silverado !

Originally Posted By: Quadrajet
I think I'm gonna stick with the 0w40 , and keep changing the oil when the monitor is around 25% . I am tempted to try the rotella t6 but just refilled with Mobil . The winter warm ups were for defrosting but again , as I work out of town , I do t do that every day. I've owned the truck just shy of 2 years and am just under 17k. The truck runs superb and would beat the brakes off my 5.3 Silverado !

T6 is really not good option. It's NOACK is high (12.7%) and in the ned, in Wal Mart it is even more expensive then M1.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I think if i had a di engine i would run a 0w 40 except maybe in winter.

Is that not the point to use an 0W-xx oil for winter? LOL

Maybe he is thinking of oil warm up. 0W30 would be def better option in winter.

Originally Posted By: Swift101
M1 0W-40 is a great choice for Turbo DI engines. I use it exclusively in my Sonata.

I agree, and have been converted (27K miles in)
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
On a side note , I have a fresh 420hp/485 ft lb Pontiac 406 roller engine ready for my gto , was gonna run Brad penn 10w40 but what do you folks think about 0w40 for this app ? The builder still suggested higher zddp levels even though it's a roller cam . Mobil 0w40 still has 1000/1100 ppm . I wonder what zddp levels were in the 60s & 70s ?

On a side note , I have a fresh 420hp/485 ft lb Pontiac 406 roller engine ready for my gto , was gonna run Brad penn 10w40 but what do you folks think about 0w40 for this app ? The builder still suggested higher zddp levels even though it's a roller cam . Mobil 0w40 still has 1000/1100 ppm . I wonder what zddp levels were in the 60s & 70s ?

Around 800-1000ppm

Extra zinc really isn't needed in a roller cammed engine...

Why would you even attempt to run 87 octane in a twin turbo performance engine such as this?? Of course the on board knock sensors will keep you out of harms way but this is not ideal for this engine, no way no how. I'd run a MIN of 91 octane at all times in it, especially if at the track beating on it!

Any time you want to raise ZDDP levels by about 200 ppm (taking M1 0w-40 from 1000 to 1200 ppm for example) just put in half-quart of Mobil1 Racing 0w-30. Raises moly too by about 150 ppm

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Pesca
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I think if i had a di engine i would run a 0w 40 except maybe in winter.

Is that not the point to use an 0W-xx oil for winter? LOL

Maybe he is thinking of oil warm up. 0W30 would be def better option in winter.

Thats my thoughts, i would be concerned about running a heavier than spec oil ( xx-40 vs an xx-30)in cold weather. not in warm weather though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back