Ebola Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Yep, they'll sue. When I hear Jackson speak I typically change the TV station. He's at it again. Maybe the guy would have been treated better in Africa.

I saw the other day where some nut job on TV was claiming preventing flights from the hot zone is racist.
Now the justice brothers are in their best act, it was inevitable. Courts should refuse to hear this trash and throw these two crooks in prison.

Originally Posted By: Geonerd
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
uh oh.
http://www.kctv5.com/story/26693128/kans...a-stricken-area

http://www.dcclothesline.com/2014/10/04/cdc-un-forced-admit-ebola-airborne/

If you go to this area willingly please stay there.
It wont take long for this to overwhelm our health system.

Well, there are many different ways to define 'ariborne.'

As is becoming self-evident, the old platitudes about 'Only spread through direct contact of bodily fluids.' is not the whole truth. OTOH, if Ebola was 'airborne' like influenza, half of Africa would be infected by now. The virus does not specifically target the throat or sinuses, and thus does not produce the violent coughing and sneezing found in classic airborne diseases. That said, a patient's spittle IS contagious, and drops of it will contaminate objects in the immediate area with long lived bugs.

Combine this long held belief with a bit of the hubris western medicine is famous for, and I think we're in for a few hard, painful lessons. I can easily see small outbreaks - killing a dozen or so patients - occurring in 1st world countries.

I'm not yet ready to head for the hills, but do expect the situation in North America to get much worse before they get better.

What's the best way to prevent Ebola in the US and Europe? Invest the $ NOW and stop it in Africa. A few hundred million spent now will be MUCH more effective than billions later.

I agree

Seems waiting around until crisis' become HUGE is what we do best now.

Meanwhile, we can't even quarantine incoming folks from known epidemic areas! The response has been ridiculously tepid, this thing is ballooning into a real health scare.

Then, when it is finally recognized and acted on, we have to deal with the 'tin foil hat' deniers who simply ridicule anyone who does not believe the govt is the best at this stuff.

"We're from the Government, and we're here to help you"...

Quote:
The fearmongering over Ebola is ridiculous. There’s a reason, despite being an ancient virus, that its outbreaks are rare. The survivability (read: spread potential) of a virus, parasite, or other infectious agent is determined by 4 things:

How long it can survive outside a host (Ebola loses its infectivity within a couple days above or below 70 degrees Fahrenheit)
The stage of it’s infectivity in-vivo (Ebola is only transmissible from a host once their symptoms have begun showing)
The intensity of the nonlethal symptoms (Ebola has incredibly obvious and powerful symptoms, making it a huge warning sign that a person should obviously be avoided)
How fast it kills the host (if lethal) after the infectivity stage has begun (Ebola generally kills its host 4-10, sometimes up to 20 days after symptoms have begun, meaning the host will not have much time to spread the virus – especially considering point 3 above)

Given these factors, Ebola has evolved to be quite lethal, but quite inefficient at spreading itself. There’s not much to be worried about for the average person.

Quote:
The basic reproduction number R0 is the number of secondary cases which one case would produce in a completely susceptible population. It depends on the duration of the infectious period, the probability of infecting a susceptible individual during one contact, and the number of new susceptible individuals contacted per unit of time. Therefore R0 may vary considerably for different infectious diseases but also for the same disease in different populations. The key threshold result of epidemic theory associates the outbreaks of epidemics and the persistence of endemic levels with basic reproduction numbers greater than one. Because the magnitude of R0 allows one to determine the amount of effort which is necessary either to prevent an epidemic or to eliminate an infection from a population, it is crucial to estimate R0 for a given disease in a particular population. The present paper gives a survey about the various estimation methods available.

The number of people one person will infect is Ro.
Ebola has a Ro of 2. Measles at the high end of 18. Hepc 2. HIV 4.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
..The number of people one person will infect is Ro. Ebola has a Ro of 2. Measles at the high end of 18. Hepc 2. HIV 4.

They should have included influenza. It kills around 36,000 people/year in the USA alone.

Not quite...Influenza doesn't kill that many, complications like pneumonia kill a lot of people, but it's reported as influenza deaths to scare people into forking over money.

Got no problem with reporting it that way as long as they include things like chemotherapy similarly.(die of pneumonia during chemo, and it's pneumonia)

Hey Smokescreen, I got some information that may actually be useful.
grin2.gif

I was riding on the elevator today with a surgical nurse at the VA.

I asked her if she's had any Ebola patients yet.

She said no, but they got a new machine that kills the Ebola virus in the operating room.

She said the machine looks like R2D2 (from Star Wars) and costs about $120,000 Each.

She said it kills all the germs in the operating room by cooking them with UV light.

She said you can smell all the germs getting cooked when the machine is in action.

She said it's a very odd burning smell like no other.

She said the VA in Fresno has two of the machines and the Government will be shipping some to Africa.

Shannow has it right!

Follow the money.

There are going to be a number of people and entities that are going to get filthy dirty rich on the apron strings of this
ebola situation.

The pharma companies that are working on a supposed vaccine, and companies that provide equipment like those UV germ killing machines. I bet if we pull the curtain back a bit further we could trace connections to federal officials and politicians of both parties.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Not quite...Influenza doesn't kill that many, complications like pneumonia kill a lot of people, but it's reported as influenza deaths to scare people into forking over money.
Well, according to the CDC many do die from secondary complications brought on by the flu. However, what precipitated it? Primarily?

36,000 on average, is the statistical number reported by the CDC. Flu pandemics are nothing new either.

sleddriver, yes, you are correct...which was why I posted the REST of my post that they are using two scoring systems when it comes to getting money out of our wallets.

Flu kills people (mostly by secondary infections), but Chemotherapy gets away scott free...you don't die of chemo, OR of cancer if you die of pneumonia brought on by treatment.

From SurvivalistBoards.Com:

Originally Posted By: Badzero;6986248
I remembered something today. No matter what the crisis you are facing it could always be worse. The one we are looking at today could be worse, it might have happened so quickly we didn't have time to react. Enjoy and make the most out of the time you have left, you never know if today is your last.

Ebola Q and A.....

Following the death of the first person diagnosed with Ebola in the United States, concerns about the deadly hemorrhagic virus are running high throughout the country. Here is everything you need to know about Ebola:

What is Ebola?

Ebola is an infectious, often fatal virus. For more complete information, consult your own darkest paranoid nightmares.

How do you contract Ebola?

Ebola is contracted through contact with a health care system that vastly overestimates its preparedness for a global pandemic.

What are the symptoms of Ebola?

Severe flu-like symptoms that a CNN cameraman is filming.

How long does it take for symptoms to first appear?

Anywhere from two to 10 days after passing through U.S. customs.

How is Ebola treated?

The virus is eventually killed when the body begins naturally decomposing inside a coffin several feet underground.

Do I have Ebola?

Not yet.

How dangerous is Ebola?

Easily Africa’s fourth or fifth most pressing issue.

I come into frequent physical contact with Ebola-infected blood, urine, saliva, stool, and vomit. Am I at risk of contracting Ebola?

Yes.

Is there a risk of Ebola spreading further?

If Dallas authorities fail to properly contain the disease, it may spread as far as Plano and Fort Worth.

How are Ebola outbreaks contained?

Great question!

What are airports doing to screen passengers?

Questionnaire based on fundamental assumption that those in desperate need of medical attention would not lie to get out of western Africa and into the U.S.

How many people could die if Ebola begins spreading in the United States?

Projections are currently imprecise but range anywhere from 318.8 million to 319.0 million Americans.

When will all this Ebola hysteria end?

For you? At exactly 11:18 a.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 28.

Now back to our regular programming.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
She said no, but they got a new machine that kills the Ebola virus in the operating room.

She said the machine looks like R2D2 (from Star Wars) and costs about $120,000 Each.

She said it kills all the germs in the operating room by cooking them with UV light.

She said you can smell all the germs getting cooked when the machine is in action.

She said it's a very odd burning smell like no other.

She said the VA in Fresno has two of the machines and the Government will be shipping some to Africa.[/font]

Yep, more money to be made there (plus the lawsuits when the workers get skin cancer).

The cleanest clean room on the planet (well rooms, there's a few of them), have nothing for bugs to grow on, use UV light, humidity, and sprays of peroxide to ensure that bugs don't survive and make it on spacecraft, and provide reverse panspermia.

And given hundred dollar pens, and thousand dollar toilet seats, I'll bet that these cleanest of clean rooms don't come cheap.

But they are infected with bogs that have never been seen before.

http://www.esf.edu/top10/08.htm

Ebola jokester did not see this coming...

Quote:
It was no laughing matter when a passenger's alleged joke lead to an Ebola scare on-board a US Airways flight from Philadelphia to the Dominican Republic.

For nearly two hours, US Airways Flight 845 was held in isolation on the tarmac after it landed in Punta Cana on Wednesday.

According to the airline, a male passenger on-board sneezed then said he had Ebola, which resulted in a chain reaction.

A flight attendant informed the captain and the captain alerted health officials.

Soon after, four workers in blue hazmat suits and protective masks walked onto the plane.

http://6abc.com/news/joke-prompts-ebola-scare-on-us-airways-flight-from-philly/344326/

Wow.

I long for day when there will be a post with just information on it. No jeering, no injected humor, just a simple informative thread. Why can't there be enough maturity to keep on topic?

This thread is intended to be about Ebola. Not the Flu, not anything else. There are other threads on small topics like a valve stem of a tire and it can be addressed with maturity and helpful information, yet we can't have a simple thread about a disease without it being corrupted. If the spread of Ebola petered out tomorrow...good. That is not the point of this thread. This disease is deadly, yet there are unknown elements known about its transmission that seem to break the boundaries designated by learned people. The different variants have specific traits, nature finds a way to be a little different each time. Sometimes things can be noticed by those that are not on the front lines.

Come on guys. If you can't contribute something helpful please go corrupt another thread.

Interesting Merkava_4 about the UV light. I recall from the documentation:

PHYSICAL INACTIVATION: Ebola are moderately thermolabile and can be inactivated by heating for 30 minutes to 60 minutes at 60°C, boiling for 5 minutes, or gamma irradiation (1.2 x106 rads to 1.27 x106 rads) combined with 1% glutaraldehyde Footnote 10 Footnote 48 Footnote 50. Ebolavirus has also been determined to be moderately sensitive to UVC radiation Footnote 51.

but I didn't not see anything about UV light. You mention cooking the germs etc, so are we to understand that this UV light reaches a temperature of 60C or is the UV light exposure itself cooking the germs?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Seems waiting around until crisis' become HUGE is what we do best now.

Meanwhile, we can't even quarantine incoming folks from known epidemic areas! The response has been ridiculously tepid, this thing is ballooning into a real health scare.

Then, when it is finally recognized and acted on, we have to deal with the 'tin foil hat' deniers who simply ridicule anyone who does not believe the govt is the best at this stuff.

"We're from the Government, and we're here to help you"...

So because some people put reality into perspective, we automatically believe the government. BEE ESS.

I think the government is doing a terrible job. In fact, 100 troops from my home town will be going to Africa. Stupid stupid stupid to send troops over there and not allow people departing from West Africa to the US (if that's even possible since all flights go through Europe).

HOWEVER, the likelihood of what is happening in Africa happening in the US is still not likely and I personally am not even worried about it. The fear mongering over Ebola in the US is now a profit center for fear mongers.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Ebolavirus has also been determined to be moderately sensitive to UVC radiation Footnote 51.

but I didn't not see anything about UV light. You mention cooking the germs etc, so are we to understand that this UV light reaches a temperature of 60C or is the UV light exposure itself cooking the germs?

That last line in your post says it all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back