Eaton hydrostatic transaxle recomended Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the tractor manual on my 1984-5 Ford LGT-17H calls for 20w detergent motor oil for the hydrostatic transaxle. My local wlamart doesn't carry straight 20w oil.

Can I use ATF? Other recomended fluids? Tractor shows 8600+ hrs and is over 20 yrs old so I'm not wanting to destroy seals and such. Thx in advance.

-Motto

My eaton hydrostatic tranny specd "20w20 hydraulic oil" according to the Eaton website, but everyone told me to use a quality 5w20 motor oil or dex/merc univ ATF.

OK, bringing this back up because I too recently obtained a Jacobsen GT-14 tractor with an Eaton hydrostatic trans that calls for 20w20 trans fluid.

I'd prefer to run a true hydraulic oil...what would be the "20w20" equivalent?? AW32?

I did a little researching at the local Tractor Supply Company...Mystik JT-5 fits the bill about as close as you can get. I purchased two gallons of the JT-5 and I am currently waiting for a Magnefine I just ordered.

Should make a good combination...especially since this is likely the very first time the fluid, or filter, has ever been changed.

I would use a trans/hydraulic fluid since this most likely also lubes the final drive. Something like travellers trans/hydraulic fluid from tractor supply.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
I would use a trans/hydraulic fluid since this most likely also lubes the final drive. Something like travellers trans/hydraulic fluid from tractor supply.

When I made that statement regarding a true hydraulic fluid, that was meant to imply a hydraulic oil, not a substitute like ATF or motor oil. Mystik JT-5 is a trans/hydraulic fluid, at the correct viscosity; so it fit the application nicely.

I've had it in for about 10 hours worth of mowing with a magnefine filter...things seem to be working well (except for the blown hydraulic lift cylinder seals).

The old fluid drained black and had obvious signs of dirt...although there was little debris on the magnetic drain plug. The OE filter was a discontinued Fram, the reason I used a magnefine. Takes about a gallon...figure I will finish this mowing season, drain it again and replace the filter...should be good for several years after that.

This is what I used...

SU1HMDAwMzYtMjAxMDA3MzEtMTEzOS5qcGc.jpg

This is the filter that I replaced...

SU1HMDAwMzktMjAxMDA3MzEtMTE0MC5qcGc.jpg

that filter looks like the filter my dad had on a 1963 chrysler new yorker, 727 trans. the filter was in coolant/lube line, near the starter. iam not sure its the same one, it just looks like it.

OK, sorry for digging up such an old post. So the way I see it, Mystik JT-5 is the best replacement fluid for an Eaton 851 hydrostat that calls for 20w20???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back