Early Triumph oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1956 Triumph TRW requires straight weight SAE 20 for the primary chaincase and SAE 50 for the transmission. I cannot find straight weight oils anywhere in my little town. Has anyone used multiweight oils in these applications with any success?

oils have come a long way + straight weight oils are seldom used or needed. you could call Redline + talk to a real person for their recommendations + although Redline is spendy its one of the best as it uses real synthetics in the blend. you could use their viscosity recommendations for cheaper oils as well

Great bike, the model has an interesting history.

Talk to the folks at Redline (Dave used to be the tech help guy), they were always very helpful with niche applications. I would also get on some Triumph or other antique MC forums. Yours is an older bike of an even older design and I would be cautious about seal and bushing/bearing compatibility with modern oils.

Extreme example, but I guy at the airport I used to fly out of had a hangar full of vintage European bikes and he used to use Aeroshell in one because it had silver plated engine bearings (Vincent....Matchless maybe...long time ago) which were incompatible with zinc additives.

Enjoy!

Back in the day we used engine oil in the primary and EP90 in the gearbox - 90 gearoil is about the same viscosity as 50 engine oil. The pre unit Triumph has a chain oiler built into the rear of the primary case, if you use it, a light oil will get everywhere.

Got this response from Redline today.

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your Triumph motorcycle the 10W40 Motorcycle oil would be recommended in the engine, the V-Twin Primary Case Oil in the primary also packaged as MTL and the V-Twin Transmission Oil in the transmission also packaged as ShockProof Heavy.

The V-Twin Primary Case Oil is a 75W80 gear oil, a broad viscosity oil, suitable for use in the primary with the wet clutch and just slightly higher viscosity at operating temperature than an SAE 20 oil. The V-Twin Transmission Oil is a very unique product, performing extremely well in these motorcycle transmissions, reducing the clunk, helping to find neutral and reducing noise. Due to it's unique characteristics it is difficult to put a viscosity on it, it would flow like, have the fluid viscosity of a 75W90 with the film and protection closer to a 75W250.

The Shock Proof Heavy/V Twin Oil is great stuff. I used it in my Buell and I have also used it to quiet and get some more time out of old differentials, an old Land Rover steering box.....

Any pics of the m/c?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back