Dumbest thing you have been told at a parts store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: tojo1968
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
0W40 oil is too thin for running in South TX

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with that had a late 70's Ford pickup...ran 20w50 because thicker is better.
Boy you should have heard the lifter clatter from that thing on a cold afternoon!!

In Florida ?

At that time, I lived in Pensacola. I have seen it snow there twice. P'cola hits freezing temps every winter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I walk in the store -- hand the guy the part number -- walk out of store with part. No chit chat.

LOL
I do my research as well. I once asked for a part from NAPA and they said they had no such listing. I had to pull it up on my phone and show them the part....

Originally Posted By: tojo1968
I do my research as well. I once asked for a part from NAPA and they said they had no such listing. I had to pull it up on my phone and show them the part....

I can totally relate. All the Napa employees here are total numbnuts.

image.png

Actually the cake was taken by a Employee/Customer shouting match.
I walked over to the isle with the huge breaker bars and wondered if I was going to have to use it on the Irate customer.

Employee:
"Sir, what type of car is it?"

Customer:
"It is an AUDI."

Employee:
"Sir. Yes, an Audi. What type of Audi?"

Customer:
"IT IS AN AUDI."

Employee:
"Yes Sir, an Audi, but what type? What year was it made?"

Customer:
"IT'S AN AUDI, YEARS DONT MATTER! YOU DON"T KNOW ANYTHING!"

Went on for a good 10 minutes with lots of cussing, several customers walked out.
I felt genuinely bad for the kid behind the counter.
I still wonder if the Manager was hiding in the back.

Oh, and all Auto Zone brand parts break within 2 months after their "warranty" expires. Stick with Brand names.

Fun thread. We've all heard some real doozies I'm sure. I remember a couple.

"STP oil filters are made for us by Wix". (Champ labs ecores at the time). To make matters worse this tidbit came from the manager.

And when a chain had the new Castrol Magnatec on sale in conjunction with Castrol HM, but of course they were out I was told "They are the same thing". Needless to say I left without any oil.

I was rebuilding a Ford Thunderbird with a 3.8 V6 and when we were cleaning the valves we messed up the seat's of one of the exhaust valves. We went to a Autozone and asked for a exhaust valve for that type of engine. The guy banged on the keyboard for 5 minutes and then said " is that something in the muffler?"

He said his last job was at Wal-Mart and he did not know a lot about engines. I forget were we got the part but it was not there. It has been a long running joke between my friend and I.

The Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter is good for 5000 to 6000 miles, even thou it says on the box, up to 15000 miles.

We should rename this thread to:
Dumbest thing you have OVERHEARD at a parts store.

I've heard countless whoppers coming from both sides of the counter. lol

I could go on... My favorite is when someone asks for an axle seal for a Ford truck, don't bother saying if it is a Ranger or a F650 because they are all the same. I have had many customers swear at me when I got get a F450 rear hub seal and throw it on the counter and say "they're all the same right?"

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I was told at a NAPA I believe, that my 1983 LTD was an LTD II.

Having owned a midsized 1983 LTD for many years, I am well aware of your consternation with that confusion.

I worked at Oreillys for a while. These are a few of my favorites that my old boss said. (He was as wide as he was tall, tattooed arms, slicked back hair and some huge 1980's era glasses topped off with a thick West Virginia accent.)

Switching from synthetic to conventional will wear your bearings. (I said we sell several blends. That won't happen.)

Lucas will fix your slipping transmission. (I told the guy to check his fluid level, top it off and if that didnt work, replace the filter.)

Mobil 1 is good for a Jeep requiring the ms-6395 spec. (I said nope, but the other big 3 major synthetics do.)

It was funny though because these were all guys that came to me with questions and he chimmed in, but if you so as talk to his customer about their vintage Land Cruiser for example, while he in the back pulling parts he'd come unglued.. in front of the customer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
A 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee does not have a tie rod or a tie rod end.

Oh reminds me.. A lady came in one day needing new a tie rod ends sleeve on her WJ because her husband used it as a tow point. In disbelief I asked again if I heard it correctly and she said "well its metal aint it?!".

The last one is an issue I had with a local AZ employee. I had bought a new fan clutch, but in only 750 miles, it would no longer disengage.

Told the guy what was going on and mentioned 750 miles again and he started laughing at me. Thought I said 750,000 and apparently tried catching me in a lie. After working in retail, I understand the frustration with dealing with the public so I am always super polite, but man I laid into the guy that day. He was an older gent too that I had previous great luck with. That was my first warranty exchange ever. Normally I don't deal with them because I go in with my needed part number(s) or purchase online and pick up in store.

It is always a shame when a good familiar face lets you down.

The dumbest thing I heard wasn't in a parts store it was at Mavis Tire a few years back. I was in for tires and an alignment and they were trying the typical hard sell telling me my E-150 needed ball joints. I said no it didn't, and the guy called me over to the lift and was pointing to the king pins, which have grease on them from years of greasing them. He told me they were leaking. I said learn the names of the parts and what they do and look like before you try and scam someone, those are king pins, and the front end is perfect. Then I stopped them from doing an alignment, had the tires installed and took it somewhere else for an alignment.

Not at a parts store, but at a dealership about 6 years ago:

You can switch from Quaker State to Pennzoil at anytime, but once you start using Pennzoil, you can't switch to any other brand after that.

That was the last time I had my vehicle serviced there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back