Dual remote oil filter/ Best filter to use??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you HAVE to add a dual remote filer?? Why not just use Amsoil EaO oil filters and achieve near remote filter cleanliness and not have to worry about chaffed lines, oil leaks, and as in my 6.5TD diesel a totally destroyed engine due to a line coming lose while going down the freeway at 65 MPH... By adding a remote setup you bring a whole world of possible engine destructions along with it... With an EaO oil filter you extend the life without the imaginary horribles (real in my case).....
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Quote:

Zoomschwortz, you can add a heat exchanger if you're having trouble getting oil temp up. Any Ford pre-95 sandwich heat exchanger should work. It only requires a coolant bypass circuit to operate. Great little things.

They come in all shapes and sizes ..and are available at any DC dealer parts counter if you don't like used or NOS.

f11de289.jpg

They're getting scarce on ebay ..the junkyards have pretty much been picked clean. $40 delivered is a good price ..but, again, they're getting rare. I have a decent collection of them
laugh.gif
Here's one

Thank you Gary. I didn't know those existed. I'll tkae a look at my pickup tonight and see if there is an easy way to add one.

Thanks again and have a great 4th.
Ken

Quote:

Do you HAVE to add a dual remote filer?? Why not just use Amsoil EaO oil filters and achieve near remote filter cleanliness and not have to worry about chaffed lines, oil leaks, and as in my 6.5TD diesel a totally destroyed engine due to a line coming lose while going down the freeway at 65 MPH... By adding a remote setup you bring a whole world of possible engine destructions along with it... With an EaO oil filter you extend the life without the imaginary horribles (real in my case).....
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Hi George,
The filter on my truck is mounted on the side of the block and no matter what I do when I change the filter, I get oil all over the block. Also in order to change the filter, I have to remove a small panel inside the fenderwall and while reaching over the tire, try to spin the filter with one hand.

I know what you are talking about on the added risks and plan on adding some shielding around the hoses to cut down on abrasion.

I like the idea of having extra oil in the system to help keep things cool while driving in the mountains around here in the summer. The truck is pretty loaded when I go camping and 4x4ing.

My biggest concern with adding two large filters was the amount of time to warm the oil up in the winter and it looks like Gary has found an answer for me on that problem.

Thank you for your help.
Ken

Quote:

hank you Gary. I didn't know those existed. I'll tkae a look at my pickup tonight and see if there is an easy way to add one.

Yeah ..I'm full of useless information
laugh.gif

Keep in mind that you can throw one of these on your remote mount if you decide to go that way. It may make it easier to deal with. I don't think it will impact the warm up time line a whole bunch just because you have an exchanger only seeing half the flow. Dwell time/flow rate differential is a factor too. It's the high differential in flow rates that allows both systems to buffer each other.

The only Ford exchanger that won't work in your case is one for an SVO 3.8 engine. The extension bolt is 3/4-16 on the outside ..but some other male thread on the block side (I have one of these too - which is why I'm giving you this advice).

Again, if your wallet is thick enough, just go down to any MOPAR/DC/JEEP parts counter and coerce the parts guy to give you a deal on an oil cooler for a 2005 Grand Caravan with HD towing package. The nipples are slightly angled as opposed to straight, but it's basically the same thing that they used to offer in the MOPAR performance catalog a few years ago. Anywhere from just under $100 to around $140. Ford units, if they were available ..even when identical were anywhere from the $300-$400+ range. They seem to have refined the art of making common parts somewhat proprietary and charging really high prices for replacements. I believe that these are all obsolete as far as Ford is concerned.

oil pan heater will get the oil up to temp. This will be my solution for my dual filtered 99 dakota 5.2L. Similar morning start-up and only a 13-15 mile drive.

ww.kimhotstart.com/kimhotstart/sub.aspx?id=3815 manufacturer
ww.wolverineheater.com/ distributor
another distributor on amazon and cheapest price kats heaters.

all of the above have self adhesive backing

You could still benefit from an exchanger. Just put it where the original single filter was and then mount your block adapter. Your oil pan heater will warm the oil nicely enough, but it won't keep it at coolant temp under stress.

Getting back to the basics what are you trying to accomplish? use the mentioned Amsoil filter which will fit onto the stock filter mounting without the added complexity , as the more plumbing there is the easier it is to clog up the pipes.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Getting back to the basics what are you trying to accomplish? use the mentioned Amsoil filter which will fit onto the stock filter mounting without the added complexity , as the more plumbing there is the easier it is to clog up the pipes.

You're no fun at all, Steve.
55.gif

You can't tell me that you don't tinker with anything from its standard state. Your yard, your decor ..no "custom" to your life?
21.gif
If you do put some personal touch to anything, does it serve a purpose? If not, why do you do it?
54.gif

Gary ,I have run syn oil done the bypass thing built several 7,500 rpm big block Chev engines ,to go 100 mph in my boat.Hot rodded some cars, built up some trick firearms done several houses, yards, rental properties .Yep I have have some real nice horses acerage all the stuff to support them a John Deere tractor a 35 by 70 barn to keep them in. An ungrateful wife and 2 kids and I realize I am blessed by [censored] but all in all I realize I run and run to catch up with the sun, but it is sinking and and racing around to come up behind me again and I find the sun is the same in a relative way but I am older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death. "Pink Floyds Time more or less" All the oil stuff is fun but we will most likely never ever see a gain in anything from it unless the vehicle is in commercial use and then gasoline engines last as long as they are going to last with or with out bypass or dual filters. I need a nap.

You can buy oil lines that are really tough and hard to break through. Just make sure that you go someplace that specializes in industrial hoses and fittings. Don't take a chance on anything less that a good set of hoses.

Steve S
We must be about the same age and married to distant relatives! The BITOG is fun and it is an escape of sorts. Plus, I'm the only one in my family that knows what everyone else on the forum is talking about. Oh, and I have permission to look at the pictures.
Steve W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back