Dual Oil Filter Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been running a Perma Cool dual Oil filter rig for about two years. Have alway utilized the same brand and size of filters. Bought a case of the Amsoil Ea015 filters and have another case or so of NAPA 1515's. Thought occured to me I could run one of each for the OCI/filter swap. In other words why wouldnt or should I say why couldnt I run one NAPA and one Amsoil filter at the same time? I think I would run the Amsoil first ( in the direction of the flow oil would pass through the Amsoil first) and the NAPA secondly.
For the record we put the dual filter setup more for the oil capacity than thinking we would get double filtering....
What do you guys think?

Sorry it is in reference to the 408 GTO. We run a Lingenfelter ported oil pump and a BM oil cooler. She runs 55lbs-65lbs of pressure consistently.

I'm a bit confused. The full flow dual filter setups I've used had the filters set-up to flow in parallel. Are you saying yours is in series?

(PS I love dual full flow set-ups)

Yep, they're in parallel.
2 different filters will have two different flow rates.

The only downside is that one of the filters will flow more then the other. As long as they both get equally hot, I wouldn't worry about the 1-30% flow difference between filter media types.

Since you have 2 filters in parallel, the measured flow rate through each filter is less compared to a single mount. Both filters will catch more particles easier.

"...I think I would run the Amsoil first ( in the direction of the flow oil would pass through the Amsoil first) and the NAPA secondly..."

That infers your filters are in series- IF so, I'd run the filter with the larger micron rating first as a "chunk" filter to get the larger particles.
IF you run the smaller micron rated filter first, the 2nd filter isn't really doing any filtering unless the first filter goes into bypass mode.

ASSuming a series configuration AND to increase capacity, I'd use a 51773 as a "chunk" filter first. It's a 30 micron filter about 7" long. About 2" longer than 51515. It should also have a much lower flow restriction than the other filters mentioned.

>>>You guys are right....of course they are parallel. I don't know what in the heck I was thinking!
Now that I have extracted my brain from my southern regions
smile.gif
You guys are right one would flow differently than they other.....I'll just stick with running the same filters at the same time. But a fella could put two single remote filter setups out there and run in series couldnt he?
HHmmmmm........And I like the 51773 "chunk filter" mentioned above...HHmmmmm...thaks fellas!

Well, let me throw my $0.02 in. Everything said is correct ..but I did use an Amsoil BP110 in parallel with a SDF filter on my Permacool dual mount. I had already had it plumbed and just swapped the fittings from my BMK-12 mount.

Initially, the 110 only had localized heating (little flow)..that was until the SDF filter got a little mileage on it. The thermal saturation of the 110 increased as the mileage increased.

So, although the notion of proportional flow is always true, the loading/holding capacity of the given filter will alter (or not) the relative resistance to flow and change the biasing of the flow. That is, that resistance isn't linear and therefore the flow won't always divide in the same percentages.

"That is, that resistance isn't linear and therefore the flow won't always divide in the same percentages."

I would venture to guess that may also occur "somewhat" from cold oil to hot oil.

Yes ..or so I've pondered. I guess the proper term would be "impedance" ..since it's reactive. The flow difference between two medias may be very wide with thick oil ..yet not all that much different at near 100C.

Well I think for now I will run the dual Amsoil Ea015 filters and not mess with it. Price isn't bad with the preferred customer program....

Well, if you decide to try a EaBP filter along side your EaO15, you can get an 1-16 adapter on ebay. You don't have to buy the expensive mount. The guy gets about $20 for the piece ...but it does allow you to use the bypass filters as long as you have a 3/4-16 nipple.
Just look up tmvtaylor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back