Dry sump questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the basic idea of a dry sump system, i.e., the crankcase is mostly empty of oil, which is stored elsewhere and pumped from this storage location (oversimplification?).

However, in reading about various WWII airplanes, I wonder how the system works in say, an inverted vee like the Daimler DB605, or in radial engines. Somehow, the oil has to come "up" into the crankcase, and then be scavenged and sent to the reservoir.

I've not seen the inside of an operating engine, but I envision oil flying all over the place as it's flung off of the reciprocating parts, and returned from the heads and so on. In an ordinary "upright" automobile engine, the oil can just fall into the pan, and either be used from there or pumped to a reservoir.

But in the inverted vee in particular, gravity is against us. I'm thinking that there's still oil flying around everywhere, but how is it caught and returned to the reservoir? And what keeps it from pooling in the heads?

Last edited:
Exactly like that.

Dry sumps often have multiple scavenge sections. 3 to 5 stages is the norm for most. On "V" engines you usually have at least two scavenge pickups in the pan, one in the valley, and sometimes a couple on the valve covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back