Drills question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently replaced my 10 year old Craftsman 18V NiCd drill with a new Ridgid drill/impact 18V lithium combo. I used it for a deck repair project a week ago. It has good power and I was happy with how it performed.

I'm looking to get a new drill set for my dad. But I'm not sure what to get.

Here is my set:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Vol...R9601/203810442

I'm thinking of getting my dad either the same set, or this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18...-22CT/202951723

He uses Milwaukee at work and likes them. The Ridgid and them are made by the same company, and have the same battery technology and similar specs (Ridgid actually slightly better torque).

This is my question: The difference between the two is that the Milwaukee is a hammer drill function (it is also a half hour charge vs. one hour). What is the benefit of having this function? What types of tasks does this allow for or make easier that a regular drill and/or the impact drill won't allow for?

I have another two and a half months to return my set if I'd rather get the Milwaukee for myself, too. I just don't know if it is worth the extra money, because I don't know enough about hammer drills and their uses. I do like the lifetime warranty, especially on batteries, with the Ridgid.

A hammer drill can drill into cement/masonry better than a regular drill. An impact driver which both sets have is for driving screws.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
A hammer drill can drill into cement/masonry better than a regular drill. An impact driver which both sets have is for driving screws.

So can a regular drill go into cement OK, so long as you aren't doing it all the time (I'd presume that would wear the drill out since it isn't made for that, if it can even do it at all?)? I've never had to go into cement so I'm not sure.

Any benefit of a hammer drill for things like drilling larger diameter holes in, say, 2" wood or a 4"x4" post, for something like a dryer vent or to drill for lag bolts in a deck post?

An impact isn't just for driving screws. It works great for working on vehicles. If driving screws with an impact I suggest eye protection. I've shattered bits that weren't hardened with mine.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl

So can a regular drill go into cement OK, so long as you aren't doing it all the time (I'd presume that would wear the drill out since it isn't made for that, if it can even do it at all?)? I've never had to go into cement so I'm not sure.

Any benefit of a hammer drill for things like drilling larger diameter holes in, say, 2" wood or a 4"x4" post, for something like a dryer vent or to drill for lag bolts in a deck post?

A hammer drill if for boring holes in concrete or masonry. Using the hammer function in wood isn't effective nor recommended and I don't suggest doing it. Wood bits aren't made to be impacted into,just drill like we've done it for ages and you'll be fine

A hammer drill will drill more quickly in concrete or masonry than a regular, non hammer, drill.
Wear and tear on the drill is not normally an issue.

Are you sure the Ridgid has a one hour charger?
I think mine is quicker than that.

The big thing with me is the Ridgid Lifetime warranty.
I have already had a free replacement battery (after 2 years use) with no hassle.

I have the Ridgid set and I love it. I use the impact driver far more than I ever thought I would. Right now HD has Ridgid, Milwaukee, and Makita drill/impact sets all for $199. I don't think you can really go wrong with any one of the three. I'd probably go with the Ridgid because of the lifetime warranty, and you also get a radio with it.

As has been mentioned the hammer drill function is for masonry. It will drill into it much faster than a regular drill and your masonry bits will last much longer. All the hammer drills I have seen have a switch or button to switch between hammer mode and normal drill mode.

I don't own any Ridgid but i bought a few Milwaukee tools that Makita doesn't make.
The inspection scope and pipe cutter set with a free 1/4" driver with extra battery.

The tools are fine no problems at all but all three batteries failed shortly after the warranty was done.
None were left to drain totally and have been charged about 4 times in a year.
Milwaukee customer service was terrible, they basically said they made it through warranty so tough for you good for us.

I will sell them sans battery and never buy another Milwaukee tool in my life.
I will buy Makita and Hilti all day long. My brother left his impact driver out in the rain and the brushes got damaged.
We called Makita and fully expected to buy new ones. Even after telling them it was his fault Makita replaced the whole driver for free, it was long out of warranty.

I damaged a Hilti Hammer drill, my fault. When I called for parts, Hilti didn't ask me for date codes or anything else, they sent out a new drill which i had in my hands in 2 days.
I feel very comfortable buying these brands. Its not the fact i got replacement tools its the fact that even after the warranty was up they went the extra mile when they didn't have to do anything. Milwaukee told me in a nice way to go $hit in my hat.

As far as Makita goes, after 5 years they are all still running as strong as they day i bought them, no tool or battery failures and i use them every day.
Run time between charges is fantastic.

Thanks for all the advice.

So, Trav, you've had no problems with batteries with the Mikata? That's the thing I read about them prior to me buying the Ridgid set, is that the batteries are no good (fail a lot) and they are using five year old technology.

So.... HOW much quicker does a hammer drill go though concrete than a regular drill?

Just trying to see if it is worth the price difference and lesser warranty.

So.... HOW much quicker does a hammer drill go though concrete than a regular drill?

If you plan on drilling through concrete a hammer drill is the only way to go.

I agree.

I would guess, typically, 2-3 times faster.

However, Drilling concrete is never as fast as drilling wood. It takes time and time means Battery power. You will run down ANY battery with just a few holes.

My Hammer drill is Corded, for that reason.

Under ideal conditions when drilling concrete a hammer drill is much faster than a conventional drill. However if while drilling you hit a piece of aggregate in the concrete, that's what separates the men from the boys. You will NEVER get thru the aggregate with a conventional drill whereas a hammer drill will zip right through it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

If you plan on drilling through concrete a hammer drill is the only way to go.

Especially if it's low quality with a lot of rocks in it.

Cordless drills hammer drills also have limits on the size of bit you can use. Like 3/8" might be the max diameter? Anyways if you need alot of big holes, cordless isn't the way to go.
The odd 3/8 hole, or smaller holes into soft materials like brick, a cordless hammer drill is fast, and my theory is that they have to be tougher than the non-hammer version.

If you plan on drilling more than a couple of holes, a 1/2" chuck electric hammer drill would be a better choice than a cordless model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back