Double-Super-Secret 5W-40 Audi RS4 Racing Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I call it pretty aggravating. Imagine my surprise when, in researching what oil to use for the first change on my new A3, that VW/Audi specifies oils that don't do the job and then, if I use a non-spec one that is up to the task I could invalidate my warranty. A lose-lose situation if there ever was one.

Yeah, no kidding. That's the dilemma I have with my Passat which has the same engine as your A3. I am going to get the factory fill changed out in couple weeks and I'm going to talk to my service advisor about HOBS. If he gives it the thumbs down, then my default is maxlife synthetic with that boat load of moly.

Guys, VW can't invalidate your warranty for using a non-recommended oil. If they chose to deny a warranty claim due to your use of a non VW approved oil, in court they would have to (1) establish that the claim was due to an oil related problem, and (2) the problem was specifically caused by the oil used.

Quote:

Guys, VW can't invalidate your warranty for using a non-recommended oil. If they chose to deny a warranty claim due to your use of a non VW approved oil, in court they would have to (1) establish that the claim was due to an oil related problem, and (2) the problem was specifically caused by the oil used.

G-man, you are correct....

BUT...going to court can be awfully expensive when fighting corporations with big wallets.

Hammer

Quote:

Maybe I overlooked it, but I dont remember anything specific regarding the oil keeping with the VW/Audi recommended drain intervals (10 000 miles).

Just wondering if this oil is able to go for that long, or will it have to be dumped prematurely?

In the RS4 it will not go 10K miles. But it does look like it will be good for 7K.

In other engines, we'll just have to see. OCI will depend on the level of fuel dilution.

Quote:

G-Man, you're correct. But court is a PITA. That's one reason that I've developed the lengthy analysis record for the RS4. Should any engine problems arise, we have a very solid long term record for many 502 oils and for BioSyn. This should short circuit the warranty claim process rather quickly. If those would the 2.0L TFSI engine in the VW and Audi's would do the same, there will be less worries.

Hammer, your point is well taken. See my response to G-man. There are two solutions to the problem.

1) band together with other VW/Audi owners who have the 2.0L TFSI engine and develop a long term oil analysis record for 502 oils and Biosyn.

2) Buy the cheapest 502 oil that you can find in gallon or 5L bottles. Use it in another car. Clean the bottles and refill with Biosyn. Then take it in whenever you have dealer service. As far as they know it's approved oil.

Well I finally went to the RLI website to see how much the BioSyn will cost me. $35 for the gallon of 5w40HD isn't bad, but then a whopping $20 for shipping!!! Yikes

Yes, with shipping that is on the rich side. I figure if it's the thing to use that's the price I'm ready to pay for peace of mind concerning the TSFI engine.

I'm definitely looking at the BioSyn. But cautious as I am I'd like to see some more experience from the guys that are trying it. RI RS4, yours and the other RS4 owners documented experience on this is much appreciated.

The suggestion of us TFSI owners combining efforts in using oil analysis records for these engines is a good one. I'm ready to participate and do my part.

As of now though I'm going to do a first change of the oem fill at 1k then another at 1k miles using one of the listed 502.0 oils followed by a UOA from Terry Dyson. This, to have a look at how much if any metals are in the sample. I know that's short UOA but I'd like to know at what stage the engine is at on break in. At that time I'll give a hard look at the BioSyn.

Quote:

Well I finally went to the RLI website to see how much the BioSyn will cost me. $35 for the gallon of 5w40HD isn't bad, but then a whopping $20 for shipping!!! Yikes

Yeah, they are going to seriously have to reevaluate their shipping charges. There is something wrong when shipping practically doubles the price of the product.

Quote:

Yeah, they are going to seriously have to reevaluate their shipping charges. There is something wrong when shipping practically doubles the price of the product.

Isn't there a hazardous materials surcharge when shipping motor oil via UPS or Fedex, thus driving up the cost? At Summit Racing there is a $21 hazmat surcharge on ground shipping of Redline oil.

Amsoil appears to not be aware of such restrictions on oil shipping. They start @ about $6 for the S&H ..but (IIRC) $8 covers to about a case of oil (24lb+).

Quote:

Quote:

It did practically double the cost of 2 bottles of the injector cleaner. I looked at it as an experiment ...a sampling. A lot of that could be backwards marketing, though. As though to say "It's not the price of the product ..it's the added costs that make it so expensive". Like when I didn't buy a full tower for $24 when the shipping was $21 (this was quite some time ago). I would have probably bought a $35 full tower (we're not talking Inwin here) with a $6-$8 S&H ...but they didn't agree. Some vendors will cite shipping personnel and this and that for justifying higher handling charges. To me, that's all included with the cost of doing business. Regardless of your commercial modality of bringing something to market, you've got to sensibly have warehousing and personnel to operate them. If anything it's a sign of success and profit. Naturally there's some cost to growth ..but
dunno.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Isn't there a hazardous materials surcharge when shipping motor oil via UPS or Fedex, thus driving up the cost? At Summit Racing there is a $21 hazmat surcharge on ground shipping of Redline oil.

They are wrong if they are charging a HAZMAT upcharge. We haul entire truckloads of oil and it is NOT considered HAZMAT. Basically, the flashpoint of motor oil is too high to be considered flammable by HAZMAT regulations.

Hammer

Quote:

The suggestion of us TFSI owners combining efforts in using oil analysis records for these engines is a good one. I'm ready to participate and do my part.

I just started a separate thread for TFSI owners. I just posted a spreadsheet with all BITOG UOAs I can find. I'll continue to update it as you guys post your UOAs. Please PM me when you have a UOA so I don't overlook it.

Quote:

Really? I usually get my Redline from Summit and all they charge me is the standard $8 handling fee. No shipping charges as long as the total weight is below 100lbs, so it's cheaper to order more than one oil change's worth of oil at a time. I usually order 10 quarts (currently 5 qts. per change, soon to increase with some added mods) and it's still just the price of the oil + $8.

Max

Quote:

Quote:

Motor oil is not classified as a hazardous material.

Quote:

Just wondering if this oil is able to go for that long, or will it have to be dumped prematurely?

In the RS4 it will not go 10K miles. But it does look like it will be good for 7K.

In other engines, we'll just have to see. OCI will depend on the level of fuel dilution.

Thank you for your answer. It seems like VAG is shafting you either way.
Buying such a car to just have additional headaches is certainly, ahhh, a headache
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back