Don't be a sourpuss - have a lemon!

Try some Femminello lemons, if you can find them. They are not supposed to be commercially available in California, but the three times I purchased them they were found at Monterey Market in Berkeley. They may have been from local trees of which there are a few in Berkeley. I know Alice Waters had some on her menu in the early-mid '80s, and at that time she was purchasing produce from folks growing items in their backyards in the East Bay.
I have lemon water daily. That’s far as I’ll go. Mom got me onto that

Thank you for clarifying.

I learned something new, thank you. I've been doing it wrong all these years; black coffee breaks my fast! Darn it!
You'd really have to check your blood sugar before and after having black coffee to know for sure. Everybody's different.

Ask your Doctor don’t ask some who plays one on the internet.
Doctors have very little training in nutrition. A professional nutritionist would be the best person to ask. And as far as metabolic processes are concerned an endocrinologist can clarify. No medical advice was given.

Last edited:
I am not aware of coffee and lemon water being antagonistic. Coffee with lemon seems to be popular for weight loss.

Because you mentioned not eating until 11:00 I presumed you were intermittently fasting and I wanted to point out that even coffee taken black before the time of your first meal may well raise your blood sugar via the described mechanism. One goal of intermittent fasting is to keep the blood sugar from going high enough to get the metabolism out of fat-burning mode. This is important because after a meal it takes about 12 hours for most people to get into fat-burning mode. Let's say you don't eat for 16 hours but you drink coffee after 12 hours of fasting your metabolism may not go into a fat-burning at all.
Would 0 calorie unsweetened iced or hot black tea, be OK for I6 hour intermittent fasting?

Would 0 calorie unsweetened iced or hot black tea, be OK for I6 hour intermittent fasting?
Generally, unsweetened black tea is okay but with one caveat. Caffeine "may" noticeably raise blood sugar in some people indirectly. Caffeine triggers the release of adrenaline. Along with adrenaline excretion comes a release of glucose into the bloodstream. I don't think most people will have a noticeable problem with that. If caffeine raises your blood sugar too much it will break your fast.

In the 1980s we were eating out with our one year old Daughter. Our Daughter grabbed a lemon wedge and before we could stop her, in her mouth and chomping away.

She eats lemons today like candy. How weird is that.

Back