Don't be a sourpuss - have a lemon!

The benefits of lemon and freshly squeezed lemon juice are known and recommendations like having a glass of water with lemon juice in the morning are often made. I have no problem eating lemons or drinking lemon juice but many people won't do it because they find the taste just too sour. I find Meyer lemons are less acidic and taste less sour compared to Bearss, Eureka, and other varieties of lemons. You can mask the sourness almost completely by adding lemon juice to a glass of vegetable juice. Don't forget to rinse your mouth after drinking lemon juice or to use at least a straw when drinking it straight. Unless you don't have teeth, of course. Then it won't matter. Well, maybe lemon juice deteriorates dentures. I don't know. Take your dentures out and go suck a lemon!

Try some Femminello lemons, if you can find them. They are not supposed to be commercially available in California, but the three times I purchased them they were found at Monterey Market in Berkeley. They may have been from local trees of which there are a few in Berkeley. I know Alice Waters had some on her menu in the early-mid '80s, and at that time she was purchasing produce from folks growing items in their backyards in the East Bay.

Reactions: GON
Agree, it is a bitter fruit. The Romans believed the lemon dissolved.fish bones. They probably didn't care how it tasted.
The dilemma of the beautiful tree that produces such an inedible fruit is explained by this musical allegory by P P&M.🍋

You can buy Feminello lemons online. I eat mostly the mystery variety from my mixed citrus tree (grapefruit and lemons).

Agree, it is a bitter fruit. The Romans believed the lemon dissolved.fish bones. They probably didn't care how it tasted.
The dilemma of the beautiful tree that produces such an inedible fruit is explained by this musical allegory by P P&M.🍋

I was expecting someone to mention LED Zeppelin. Anything but Blood and Lemonade, please.

I forgot to mention that vegetable juice is useful for masking the taste of other unpleasant foods and supplements. Things like citrulline and powdered beet, both of which are excellent nitric oxide boosters, become much more palatable when mixed with vegetable juice.

I typically squeeze juice out of a whole lime and throw a tablespoon of chia seeds in it and chug it down first thing in the morning. Supposed to help with digestion, although that may just be a myth.

I seem to be the only one in my family that enjoys sour things: sauerkraut, pickles, kimchi, etc. Wife and kid won't touch anything even remotely sour.

I typically squeeze juice out of a whole lime and throw a tablespoon of chia seeds in it and chug it down first thing in the morning. Supposed to help with digestion, although that may just be a myth.

I seem to be the only one in my family that enjoys sour things: sauerkraut, pickles, kimchi, etc. Wife and kid won't touch anything even remotely sour.
If you add chia to water or other liquids you will retain the water longer in your stomach and you won't get thirsty very quickly. Before I go running I always have water with chia. That way I don't have to carry a water bottle with me. The Aztec and Mayans used this water-holding effect of chia when going on hunting excursions.

Everybody should eat more bitter and sour foods because the benefits are undeniable.

Wife does a similar thing with this
20230401_190847.jpg

Followed by a black espresso, has been my morning ritual for years, but I'm not sure if the chaser negates the benefits of the lemon water. No food until at least 11AM either.
Well, unless it is decaf, the caffeine in coffee will stimulate the adrenal glands which in turn will make the liver put out more glucose. How much does that negatively affect the metabolism being in fat-burning mode? Is it enough to trigger glucose-burning mode? It depends on your blood sugar level. If your blood sugar goes above 85 mg/dl your metabolism will burn glucose rather than fat for energy.

Well, unless it is decaf, the caffeine in coffee will stimulate the adrenal glands which in turn will make the liver put out more glucose. How much does that negatively affect the metabolism being in fat-burning mode? Is it enough to trigger glucose-burning mode? It depends on your blood sugar level. If your blood sugar goes above 85 mg/dl your metabolism will burn glucose rather than fat for energy.
Maybe, I wasn't clear or I'm having trouble understanding, please forgive my ignorance. Does having coffee (black) cancel out the benefits of lemon water when consumed immediately after? Thanks.

Maybe, I wasn't clear or I'm having trouble understanding, please forgive my ignorance. Does having coffee (black) cancel out the benefits of lemon water when consumed immediately after? Thanks.
I am not aware of coffee and lemon water being antagonistic. Coffee with lemon seems to be popular for weight loss.

Because you mentioned not eating until 11:00 I presumed you were intermittently fasting and I wanted to point out that even coffee taken black before the time of your first meal may well raise your blood sugar via the described mechanism. One goal of intermittent fasting is to keep the blood sugar from going high enough to get the metabolism out of fat-burning mode. This is important because after a meal it takes about 12 hours for most people to get into fat-burning mode. Let's say you don't eat for 16 hours but you drink coffee after 12 hours of fasting your metabolism may not go into a fat-burning at all.

I am not aware of coffee and lemon water being antagonistic.
Thank you for clarifying.
Let's say you don't eat for 16 hours but you drink coffee after 12 hours of fasting your metabolism may not go into a fat-burning at all.
I learned something new, thank you. I've been doing it wrong all these years; black coffee breaks my fast! Darn it!

Thank you for clarifying.

I learned something new, thank you. I've been doing it wrong all these years; black coffee breaks my fast! Darn it!
Ask your Doctor don’t ask some who plays one on the internet.

Back