Donaldson Endurance PLUS oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these filters worth it? Aweful expensive IMO.

I can get all 3 filters for my volvo D12 for $45 canadian, through a local guy, luberfiner filters. I see on the amsoil site:

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=246

$33 US each for the ELF7739, although donaldson actually recommends a different filter for my application, not listed on the amsoil site.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/expectmore/index.html

I guess the first site is the regular endurance, donaldson site is the "plus". Ouch, even MORE money I bet.

Didn't you add a bypass?

You don't really need a fancy full flow when you have a bypass scrubbing the oil.

Yeah, I don't think I'd run these filters. They're tailored more towards EGR engines anyways.

Just absolute overkill for my application.

Never overkill. But gain vs. cost needs to be considered.

The difference between those 2 filters is that one is an Endurance filter, the other is an EndurancePLUS filter. Both are synthetic media filters. The PLUS adds time release additives(hint probably TBN boosters).

If you didn't install the bypass, then the best fullflow should be used.

Since you have a bypass now, you don't need to have a superduper fullflow.

IMO, some of the higher end full flows are simply there to slowly kill off the bypass filter. Its already hinted that with certain fullflows, bypass isn't really needed anymore. My thoughts differ with that 'marketing'.

Quote:

Never overkill. But gain vs. cost needs to be considered.

That's what I'm thinking, if they do actually filter better and have better flow characteristics(filter bypass valve doesn't open when it's really cold), then yes it's worth it. If the gains in filtering and flow are marginal, then no.

Quote:

The difference between those 2 filters is that one is an Endurance filter, the other is an EndurancePLUS filter. Both are synthetic media filters. The PLUS adds time release additives(hint probably TBN boosters).

I figured that out while I was posting. I don't think I need a TBN booster, isn't that more for EGR engines? Plus now with the ULSD, TBN doesn't wear out as fast. My engine dropped the TBN about 1.0 after 52,000 kms, TBN is not an issue IMO. I wonder if there are other additives.

Quote:

If you didn't install the bypass, then the best fullflow should be used.

Since you have a bypass now, you don't need to have a superduper fullflow.

I actually have TWO bypasses, the stock Volvo one, and the kleenoil.

Quote:

IMO, some of the higher end full flows are simply there to slowly kill off the bypass filter. Its already hinted that with certain fullflows, bypass isn't really needed anymore. My thoughts differ with that 'marketing'.

I agree with you completely. There's no way those fancy filters can go down to 1 micron yet still flow properly. A well designed bypass system will work the best. You don't want to cut that flow!

So basically the "plus" ones would be useless in my situation, the oil would wear out before the TBN anyways. I'll look into the pricing of the regulars, but they might be made obsolete by the "plus"

Cool, I found a luberfiner premium filter, LFP3191XL, I use LFP3191. Maybe I'll just use that, it's probably the same thing as the endurance non-plus.

If the premium filter doesn't rob the bank account, by all means use it.

The benefit of 'any' brand premium filter is that they are usually using a synthetic media vs. a cellulose media. Supposedly its a triple win situation. Synthetic media flows better, filters finer particles, and holds more crud. If cost isn't excessive, that would be a good fullflow upgrade without trying to hunt among all the brands available.

BTW, my issue with baldwin, hastings, fleetguard, luberfiner, donaldson, wix,......is that they ALL have good, better, or best PN's for their filter lines. Sometimes trying to figure out what is what, gets confusing. They need to update their websites and give us some specifics on their broad filter lines.

You have a kleenoil bypass, a fullflow, and an OEM(screw-on) bypass? From what I understand, some of the OEM bypasses are lacking. Some aren't full depth type media, like your kleenoil. If the OEM bypass is just an orifice'd full flow pleated filter, its helps but isn't as good as a dedicated depth media.

Yes that's what I have, the kleenoil bypass runs off the air compressor line, so it's already pre-filtered(so it wont clog as quick) instead of running off the filter head.

There are two fullflows, I'm pretty sure they're in parallel.

From what I hear, many trucks nowadays do not have the bypass filters whatsoever. All volvo engines do though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back