Does sludge in a filter weigh more than oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If sludge weighs more (or less) than oil, could you take a used filter, just taken off, top it off with new oil and compare the weight with a new filter topped up with new clean oil to get an idea about how things are going?

I doubt there is enough difference between oil and sludge to make enough difference to measure. Too more factors are the metal particles filtered out are much heavier than the oil. I have found big differences from one filter to another in the same brand and number, Purolator L10193, one with 152 sqin media, and an earlier one with 185 sqin. It might be better to carefully top up a filter, giving the oil plenty of time to soak into the media and refilling until it stays full, weigh it, record the weight, and then do the same when you take it off.

Sludge will not drain out as easily as oil, so if you know the filters are identical in the first place, that you used the same oil, both are changed at the same oil temperature (or at least close), and you weight them about 5 minutes after starting to drain them, you may be able to see how much the junk left behind in the filter weighs.

I agree that there are too many factors that would keep the results from being accurate, but if your willing to try, knock yourself out.

....because everyone has already done that and this is something new to try or better, yet, dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back