Does MMO Get Old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an opened gallon of MMO that my brother actually bought and used very little of it. It has been in the garage, unprotected from the temperature fluctuations for probably 3-4 years. It may not be the best bottle to experiment and record data with like has been done in other topics, but how "off" could it really be? Out of the gallon, I would estimate 3.5 quarts remain. The '86 Mazda is down for an early hibernation and was thinking of putting some in the tank and running it before she sits up. Also thinking of regularly using it in the '02 Maxima and occasionally in the '11 Corolla (perhaps every OCI).

Maybe pour it out into a clear container. If there is no sediment, trash, or separation of the fluids and it still has the normal bright red color and smells OK, it is probably OK to use. Shake it up vigorously for a few seconds before using it though. I know demarpaint has posted here before that he has a ton of it on hand in his stash and I would guess it takes him a while to use up a bottle too. I think he even posted a while back about how he bought a few opened and unopened bottles at an estate sale, who knows how old they were.

I keep my own MMO stash in my garage, definitely not climate controlled, it was probably 120 degrees in there today, plus I keep 6 ounces in an empty Regane bottle in my truck to use when I buy gas, it probably gets over 130 degrees in there right now. I have had no problems with my MMO being stored in the heat but the longest I might have a fresh bottle in my stash is a few months before it gets used up. I only buy a couple of quarts at a time. If yours looks and smells OK, it's probably OK to use it. If not, fresh MMO is pretty cheap at Walmart. If in doubt, throw it out.

Originally Posted By: cancov
I have an opened gallon of MMO that my brother actually bought and used very little of it. It has been in the garage, unprotected from the temperature fluctuations for probably 3-4 years. It may not be the best bottle to experiment and record data with like has been done in other topics, but how "off" could it really be? Out of the gallon, I would estimate 3.5 quarts remain. The '86 Mazda is down for an early hibernation and was thinking of putting some in the tank and running it before she sits up. Also thinking of regularly using it in the '02 Maxima and occasionally in the '11 Corolla (perhaps every OCI).

I had a stash of the metal qt cans burried from when we moved that were at least 20 years old. They were fine, nothing seperated, and it smelled exactly the same. Use it w/o worry.

i bought several quarts and a less than full gallon that might have been decades old from a couple estate sales. The mmo looks like new. I used it and it does the job.
How can 5wt oil go bad ? Maybe the can could rust ....
I doubt it.

i use mmo for a lot of things. but i learned that the gal jug that mmo comes in doesnt like the cold. it gets brittle and will crack very big. best to move it to a gas can.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i had some old mmo that seemed like it had metal flakes possibly from the can???

Interesting, I never had that and probably used hundreds of those metal cans over the years.

This is in the clear, gallon jug like at Wal-Mart. I will look for sediments and if none are found, will gently shake it as to not crack the jug and try it out. I've saved a few fuel injector cleaner bottles from past months and will measure out appropriatly, 4oz per 10 gallons. Thanks.

remember that if you get a couple floaties you do not like get a paint strainer or a pair of those panty hose that don't fit anymore. strain it out.

Originally Posted By: steveh
Yes, the MMO worshiping is getting very old!!!

Nice flip of the thread title, but I get where your coming from. We BITOGers beat something to death trying to analyze every detail to get that greatest effect. Senial, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back