Does mild coolant level drop signal coolant in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that the coolant level in my 97 Camry was down an inch or 2. It was probably last topped up 5K or more ago. Should I be concerned?

Could be down to temperature fluctuation. I wouldn't worry. Unless the exhaust is white or it keeps going down, then I'd be looking into things.

I've got a Buick 3800, so I have to keep any eye on my coolant level constantly. There's a cold mark and a hot mark on the reservoir. Every time I check the oil level, I also pay close attention to where that coolant level is in relation to those reference marks on the reservoir. A full two inches below the mark on a Buick 3800 would be cause for great concern.

Heat wave, right?

I'd be more considerate of a pinhole, excessive pressure condition or a bad seal someplace than it going to the oil. Any traces of whitish residue in the oil/cap/dipstick?

You could run a UOA to be sure, but I wouldnt be real worried.

I once had a leaky hose that would only drop coolant if flexed a certain way. Made for a hard time finding it.

^Conversely, would a head gasket leak allow for over-pressurization of the cooling system to the point of harming it? I had a confirmed HG leak in my DD in the last UOA, and sure enough just after my radiator's neck is cracked at the base of where cap goes on and the upper hose was splitting length-wise and has a small pin-hole.

Coincidence I believe, but it did make me theorize. lol

If you believe your radiator is dirty then you should not worry much, but if you believe it should be clean then you may check any hose connection or the cap that may start to give way.
if down 2 inch of coolant go to oil, your oil definitely change to milky color and when you start driving spiritly, the engine will quickly overheat.

If the coolant system is over pressurized from a bad head gasket, the radiator cap will 'blow off' steam. Somewhere around 12-15 lbs/in".

Coolant levels do go down over time in reservoirs when everything is normal [but rather slowly]. Hot conditions accelerate this.
I'd keep an eye on it. There are multiple places for a leak - internal and external of the engine.

My old El Camino has an overflow tank that's open to the atmosphere. It loses about a quart a year. Very consistent. Never any evidence of water in the oil. My 2007 DTS and my last Caddy have sealed systems and never went down.

How well sealed is the reservoir? The one on my truck uses a cap that's basically equivalent to a large Tums bottle. Needless to say it doesn't seal in liquid very well and coolant will sometimes splash out the top on rough roads.

You're probably just losing it to a leak to the atmosphere. I wouldn't get too excited about it unless you see some sign of milkyness to the oil, or excessive white milky stuff on the oil cap (really anywhere exposed to engine oil) unless the vehicle is something really special or is not driven regularly. Then you might want to spend the money for an oil analysis to see if the coolant is escaping into the oil system. If its something that isn't driven alot, then the water component of the coolant can lay in places where it can cause corrosion because it is not being turned to steam and evaporated and burnt off.

If you're really worried, a UOA will tell the tale.
M1 doesn't contain sodium, and if you have coolant leaking into the oil, you'll see a lot of sodium in a UOA.
You might or might not see potassium, depending upon what you're using for coolant.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll do a uoa next oil change.

Your example is one of the very few reasons to do a UOA.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
I noticed that the coolant level in my 97 Camry was down an inch or 2. It was probably last topped up 5K or more ago. Should I be concerned?

Engines do not use coolant. Coolant level shouldn't drop at all if all the seals are good. If the coolant level is dropping, there is a leak in the system, possibly at one of the various gaskets, seals, hoses, or the radiator. You can probably easily locate the leak, as it will leave a mark the same color as the coolant. Less likely is that you may have a bad radiator cap, allowing vapors to escape.

If there were an internal leak at the head gasket, you would see a lot of white smoke (water vapor) coming out of the tailpipe, even when the engine is hot. (Don't confuse it with normal condensation coming out of the tailpipe, especially after cold starts.)

The coolant level also changes with the temperature (cold/hot engine). Also, if you overfill, it will overflow through the overflow hose if there is one, and the level might drop because of that. Sometimes, it might take a while for the level to stabilize after you refill the coolant, as the air must be displaced.

I would have to assume that there is an acceptable amount of coolant loss due to evaporation.....??.....
I work as a tech at a Mazda dealership (mazda is not known for coolant usage in any of the late models) and I am forever topping up coolant resivoirs and inch or two (few hundred ml) during regular maintenance services!!

At the end of the day, coolant mixture in most models/manufacturers today are approx 50% water.... you have to allow for a small amount of evap.

Sean

Originally Posted By: superchargedx
I would have to assume that there is an acceptable amount of coolant loss due to evaporation.....??.....
I work as a tech at a Mazda dealership (mazda is not known for coolant usage in any of the late models) and I am forever topping up coolant resivoirs and inch or two (few hundred ml) during regular maintenance services!!

At the end of the day, coolant mixture in most models/manufacturers today are approx 50% water.... you have to allow for a small amount of evap.

Sean

I guess you could see a small amount of evaporation from the overflow hose, or the radiator cap if the pressure is too high, but the rest of the system is completely sealed. Coolant-level drop should be minimal if there are no leaks.

agreed that in a sealed system coolant loss should be a minimum.
But.... as you said there is some lost to steam from the pressure relief in the rad cap. Also most coolant resivoirs are not under pressure so over time a few hundred ml of loss is normal for sure!!

I wouldn't say that the reservoir seals particularly well. There is absolutely no milkiness on the dipstick; should that give me comfort?

exactly!! I would not be too concerned unless you are using a litre or more every 4-5 months!!!
evaporation is GOING to happen..... if there was something to worry about, you would likely have other symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back