Does anyone need a truck like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find on the chrome on the GMC to be too much, but that’s it. The above truck or even a base Chevy 2500 with the 6.6 gas would be a nice truck.

I like Toyota, but if I towed a lot, the Toyota would be no good. We have a family friend who works for Toyota, but has a diesel Ford F350 for that very reason. He needs something to haul his horses.

At this point I'm surprised they aren't selling 16ft box trucks with 1000hp as commuters.

And it would matter to you because?

We have literally hundreds of 3/4 ton and up trucks in our work fleet. They work for a living, and do jobs the Tacoma (or 1/2 ton trucks for that matter) are not rated for or capable of.

From time to time you will find them in a parking ramp at an office building. Believe it or not, contractors etc... have offices too...

I find on the chrome on the GMC to be too much, but that’s it. The above truck or even a base Chevy 2500 with the 6.6 gas would be a nice truck.
Basically this is what mine is. It is a 6.6 gasser in the custom trim. So some nice options, but not over the top.

Of course but the real question is how many of these owners frequently utilize the features of a 3/4 ton. Need is proportional to the number of likely scratches, dings, and tire choice. Growing up we had a work truck for our property. The taillamps and certain body panels were held on with duct tape, I could see the ground through a hole in the floorboard, and a glasspack replaced the muffler. Yes it was 4WD.
How often does anyone use all the features of any vehicle? Do you use all the power your car makes everyday? Need is certainly what people are willing to live with. With all the idiots on the road today (see my totaled 2017 1 ton pickup), I want something modern and reliable when I am towing my 32 foot trailer, 22 foot boat or the parade float that I am custodian of for the Submarine Veterans.

My Sierra HD pulled the trailer on a 6700 mile trip earlier this year without drama. It probaby would have pulled the Tacoma behind the trailer as well. 75% of it's miles are towing.

Yeah, some people own trucks they don't use fully, 4wd SUVs that never see dirt, performance cars that never see a track, SO WHAT?

Maybe the OP can post the vehicles he owns so their suitability can be questioned? Silly to judge by your circumstance.

I mean, to OP's credit he has accumulated 30 posts of speculation. I'll go ahead and toss one in...

I dont need my truck's ac to work. It gave up awhile ago.
I dont need my truck's heater to work. It was bypassed a few years ago.
I wont need it to pass inspection either next year, Texas doesn't care.
I do need lights at nighttime, it was helpful.

1696438329088.jpg

How often does anyone use all the features of any vehicle? Do you use all the power your car makes everyday? Need is certainly what people are willing to live with. With all the idiots on the road today (see my totaled 2017 1 ton pickup), I want something modern and reliable when I am towing my 32 foot trailer, 22 foot boat or the parade float that I am custodian of for the Submarine Veterans.
I use all of the torque and when my wife isn't in the seat next to me I use a lot of the power. ;)

When I was working for ERM-Houston we had stripper fleet pickups to haul our stuff, and we always had stuff. They were clean but well used. Obviously there are certain professions which "need" certain vehicles like large pickups, but we all know that the vast majority of luxury trim versions revolve around wants rather than needs like the majority of new car purchases in general. Let's not kid ourselves.

I was just pointing out that a well worn truck is one that fulfills a need and may or many not fulfill a want.

Last edited:
I had an F350 for years. I towed a lot of stuff. When I got rid of my towable stuff I was looking to downsize the truck and a drunk driver decided to stick his sedan deville underneath the rear end of it at 50 mph while I was setting at a red light. I was still hospitalized but I’m sure that truck saved my life.

I have a 2006 Tacoma and a 2018 Ford F350. The Toyota does what the F350 can not do and the F350 does what the Tacoma can not do. Need is a personal thing. Who needs a vehicle when there is UBER?

I had an F350 for years. I towed a lot of stuff. When I got rid of my towable stuff I was looking to downsize the truck and a drunk driver decided to stick his sedan deville underneath the rear end of it at 50 mph while I was setting at a red light. I was still hospitalized but I’m sure that truck saved my life.
Like any honest woman would say [all things equal] bigger is usually better.

Some people just want to drive a big ostentatious truck. That's fine, not my money. I wouldn't mind having one. It sure would make me fill a bit safer driving around in it.
They have just barely better than average death rate of all vehicles, and some of them are much worse! 2018-21 RAM 2500 Megacab or crewcab have around the same driver death rates as a Prius.... They do roll more often I suppose and I'd rather have a blowout in a Prius at 75mph than a high CoG truck.
They do kill the other guy more often though, over double the rate of the average of all vehicles.... https://www.iihs.org/ratings/driver-death-rates-by-make-and-model
And I imagine the injuries from them must be higher too, than average, so there is a societal cost to having lots of them on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back