Does anyone know what year this buick hub cap is from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried searching the net and came up empty.
I plan on polishing it and keep it as a collector.

-

quote:

Originally posted by Oil stain:
I've tried searching the net and came up empty.
I plan on polishing it and keep it as a collector.

The script looks like a 1951 Buick's:

-

The 1950 used a block letter, while '52 and later had the Buick shield.

I have never seen the "hub cap" for sale, most collectors are looking for the full "wheel cover" as the illustration above

quote:

Originally posted by Oil stain:
[QB] So, it looks like that I only have the center section.

No, you've got the whole thing.

The version you have - a "hub cap" - was on the lower priced Buicks and covered just the center part of the wheels, hiding the lug nuts.

On the higher priced Buicks they used a "full wheel cover" which is a one-piece item as illustrated which covers the entire wheel.

Eventually Buick dropped the hub caps and used nothing but full wheel covers as GM repositioned the line just below Cadillac but above Pontiac.

You used to see the hub caps, though, on the lower priced Fords and Chevrolets and so on right up through the '60s. Similarly the lower priced cars had less chrome trim and a less deluxe interior.

These days there is a lot less differentiation within a given brand.

I think it would be hard to pin down. They used the same thing with minor variations for years. Bet it had port holes.

Note, My 81 Phoenix had hub caps. V-6, 4-Speed, air, cruise, and as little else as possible. Real runner for in those dark days. Great little car.

[/QUOTE]No, you've got the whole thing.

The version you have - a "hub cap" - was on the lower priced Buicks and covered just the center part of the wheels, hiding the lug nuts.

On the higher priced Buicks they used a "full wheel cover" which is a one-piece item as illustrated which covers the entire wheel.

Eventually Buick dropped the hub caps and used nothing but full wheel covers as GM repositioned the line just below Cadillac but above Pontiac.

You used to see the hub caps, though, on the lower priced Fords and Chevrolets and so on right up through the '60s. Similarly the lower priced cars had less chrome trim and a less deluxe interior.

These days there is a lot less differentiation within a given brand. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Now I understand...

Thanks for your input, Mickey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back