Does anyone here know anything about furnaces?

Status
Not open for further replies.
rand put it best -- "trollvette strikes again".
as I said earlier, natural selection will claim turtle. we in the group will miss his inane/hilarious posts.

rand, crazyoildude,pop,grampi,mtndew_dad -- always read one's sig line.
have a good night, guys.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I want to know what temperature 'vette has his hot tub hot wired up to.

Hotter than the Luke warm lawsuit adverse "kid friendly" baloney you find in hotels. Around 108.

Most every hottub is electronically limited to 104.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Hotter than the Luke warm lawsuit adverse "kid friendly" baloney you find in hotels. Around 108.

I don't know how you do it. At 102+ I can only be in mine for 15-20 min. I keep mine at 100 so I can spend an hour in it
grin2.gif

Grampi, you seem to still have confidence in your HVAC guy and even seem to be covering for him, yet you've been having this problem since 2010?? Seems like you've cut him a lot of slack even though he recommended the unit and installed it, and can't fix it, and you're saying you may have to pay for a replacement... at cost?

Just wondering when you decide enough is enough?

Hopefully 212F or higher....

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Grampi, you seem to still have confidence in your HVAC guy and even seem to be covering for him, yet you've been having this problem since 2010?? Seems like you've cut him a lot of slack even though he recommended the unit and installed it, and can't fix it, and you're saying you may have to pay for a replacement... at cost?

Just wondering when you decide enough is enough?

I haven't lost all confidence in him yet, but if this newest idea of his doesn't work, I'll have to give him the heave-ho...

Flame sensor is just a wire? Like an RTD of some sort?

On mine it's a photocell of some sort. I recall one year the guy sprayed a bit of silver paint in... someplace... so it would better see the flame.

If your guy can't get it fixed then it's time to go someplace else.

Originally Posted By: grampi
My HVAC guy seems to think it's because the secondary fan (not the one that pulls in air for the heat) is drawing in air from the laundry room (unfiltered) and is pulling in a lot of lint, which he says will carbon up the flame sensor...he wants to run an intake out the roof and thinks that will cure the problem...

This is a little odd. Why is it pulling the air from the laundry room? Unless the laundry room is the same room the furnace resides in, it would not make any sense to run a PVC pipe to a separate room instead of outside. In any case, my father's in law furnace draws the inside air from the room the furnace sits in. I had to clean the flame sensor about 5 years ago and it never gave any problems after that (and he's not good at changing the furnace filters either). I used 80 or 100 grit sandpaper and got it to the bare metal.

And the limit switch can be replaced on its own on most brands and should not require the replacement of the main board. This is another red flag about your HVAC guy, but perhaps your furnace is different.

Here is an extremely good source for HVAC info and troubleshooting. I'm sure you can find something here. One thing to note is first make sure you get the trouble code from your furnace. You can use that to search the HVAC forum I linked.

HVAC TALK forum

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: grampi
My HVAC guy seems to think it's because the secondary fan (not the one that pulls in air for the heat) is drawing in air from the laundry room (unfiltered) and is pulling in a lot of lint, which he says will carbon up the flame sensor...he wants to run an intake out the roof and thinks that will cure the problem...

This is a little odd. Why is it pulling the air from the laundry room? Unless the laundry room is the same room the furnace resides in, it would not make any sense to run a PVC pipe to a separate room instead of outside. In any case, my father's in law furnace draws the inside air from the room the furnace sits in. I had to clean the flame sensor about 5 years ago and it never gave any problems after that (and he's not good at changing the furnace filters either). I used 80 or 100 grit sandpaper and got it to the bare metal.

And the limit switch can be replaced on its own on most brands and should not require the replacement of the main board. This is another red flag about your HVAC guy, but perhaps your furnace is different.

Here is an extremely good source for HVAC info and troubleshooting. I'm sure you can find something here. One thing to note is first make sure you get the trouble code from your furnace. You can use that to search the HVAC forum I linked.

HVAC TALK forum

The furnace is in the laundry room...

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I don't know how you do it. At 102+ I can only be in mine for 15-20 min. I keep mine at 100 so I can spend an hour in it
grin2.gif

102 is a normal bath for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back