Doctor Death added to engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Snake Oil salesmen are at it again.
smirk.gif

Wow! This is probably the MOST dirty one I've seen yet!

First of all, the cash 4 clunkers fluid takes a while to affect an engine. So, the part where the minivan runs for 2.7 seconds is just absurd. Also, it sounds like the van had a pretty good rod knock.

Second, they picked an old inline 6. Probably an old american six that can idle for days with no oil pressure.

With no oil pan the [censored] just runs out. Wow

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
It's humor...BestLine's website refers to use of their product in "combustible" (sic) engines.

I think it's a "serious" product - AKA snake oil. From their Q&A:
Quote:
5. Will it gum up my engine like some products on the market?
No. BestLine’s synthetic patented formula will not gum up or build up within the engine. It penetrates into the strata of the metal surface and will never build beyond that metal surface.

http://www.bestlinelubricants.com/qa.html
And how does it displace the deposited oil already in that "strata?" Why do I bother.

I'm sure automotive metallurgists would get a cackle.

EDIT: I am not an expert on MSDS's, but have read a few. There's seems a bit odd?

http://www.bestlinelubricants.com/pdffolder/March2011/BestLine_MSDS2011_SyntheticEngineTreatment.pdf

Originally Posted By: NJC
It's humor...BestLine's website refers to use of their product in "combustible" (sic) engines.

I think it's a "serious" product - AKA snake oil. From their Q&A:
Quote:
No. BestLine’s synthetic patented formula will not gum up or build up within the engine. It penetrates into the strata of the metal surface and will never build beyond that metal surface.

http://www.bestlinelubricants.com/qa.html
And how does it displace the deposited oil already in that "strata?" Why do I bother.

I'm sure automotive metallurgists would get a cackle.

EDIT: I am not an expert on MSDS's, but have read a few. There's seems a bit odd?

http://www.bestlinelubricants.com/pdffolder/March2011/BestLine_MSDS2011_SyntheticEngineTreatment.pdf

This is probably a chlorinated paraffin EP additive. The chlorine reacts with base metal to form ferric chloride on the surface. These films are very slippery and resist scuffing and "cold welding". That is why they get the results seen here.

Acid formation is the big question when using chlorinated products in an engine. EP adds like this are normally used in heavy duty lubricants designed for sliding or metal cutting.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
There are sooooo many spelling and word mis uses on that web site it's horrible!
WARRANTY not WARRANTEE ...

Warrantee=the person to whom a warranty is made.

There are sooooo many spelling and word mis uses on that web site it's horrible!

Correct. On their website one of the questions is "Will it void my warrantee?"

Not the correct usage.

Second, they picked an old inline 6. Probably an old american six that can idle for days with no oil pressure.

I counted 4 spark plugs. Not sure what 4 banger it was but it definitely was old. And I think your point about the junk just running out hits the nail on the head.

I did not look very closely at the MSDS previously.

My notes:
UN1268 is petroluem distiallates in the US, UN class 3.3 is flammable liquid outside the US, flash point 83C(cc) means the item is combustible liquid in the US similar to diesel.

Since they left the US transportation information off I will add it here.

Assuming I had more the a consumer quantity(ORM-D) of this product I would list it as below for the US:
petroluem distiallates
UN1268
UN class 3
PG III

Last edited by a moderator:
they obviously used a different test for their product.
With no oil being slung to the pistons and oil passages, this is an embarrassing weak demonstration.
In other words, Pick a random unmodified car and change the oil with their product, then add the Liquid Glass.

So, the part where the minivan runs for 2.7 seconds is just absurd. Also, it sounds like the van had a pretty good rod knock.

I don't know what they did to kill the engine so quickly. It certainly wasn't killed by the sodium silicate. It probably had a fuel pump problem and was headed to the junkyard.

The engine on the stand was an old pushrod inline 4 engine with the oil pan removed. Pouring coarse sand over the rocker arms wasn't going to do much, no sand was getting into the working parts. And with no oil pan, any liquid poured over top just spilled out the bottom.

I saw a snake oil booth at the state fair a few years ago that had an old Chevy 6 cylinder engine running with no oil pan on it. I believe it had water circulating through the block, just no oil. I can't remember the product this guy was trying to hawk, but supposedly this engine had been treated with it. Anyway, early Saturday morning I saw the engine running and I passed the booth several times during the day, each time the engine was running. I saw the same engine running all day Sunday, just idling away with no oil pan on it. Now maybe they had put roller bearings in it, I don't know. But they were confident enough to have this engine on display, running for many hours at a time and they were pretty confident that it wouldn't seize up. I still wonder to this day how they did it.
No, I didn't buy any of their product.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I saw a snake oil booth at the state fair a few years ago that had an old Chevy 6 cylinder engine running with no oil pan on it. I believe it had water circulating through the block, just no oil. I can't remember the product this guy was trying to hawk, but supposedly this engine had been treated with it. Anyway, early Saturday morning I saw the engine running and I passed the booth several times during the day, each time the engine was running. I saw the same engine running all day Sunday, just idling away with no oil pan on it. Now maybe they had put roller bearings in it, I don't know. But they were confident enough to have this engine on display, running for many hours at a time and they were pretty confident that it wouldn't seize up. I still wonder to this day how they did it.
No, I didn't buy any of their product.

They probably made it idle so slow that it wouldn't hurt itself. If it's idling with no hood over it, no accessories and not being used (and there's water pumping through it!), it probably could run for weeks without burning up.

Last edited:
Quote:
No. BestLine’s synthetic patented formula will not gum up or build up within the engine.

I'd rather have a real patent than a synthetic one...

Correct. On their website one of the questions is "Will it void my warrantee?"

Not the correct usage.

If your engine seizes up at an inappropriate time from using the product, the 'warrantee' may indeed be voided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back