Do you think all paper air filters are the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although you probably chose the better filter, I feel that air filters are far less complex than oil filters so I'm far less fussy. Actually I'm not very fussy on oil filters either, as long as it's not Fram.

All the same? Probably not. About Motorcraft Air Filters- the last one I bought for my mother's '94 Grand Marquis had an *Orange* gasket on it. Mebbe Fram filling in the gap on that size?
dunno.gif

At the 6000 mile oil change, I noticed that the air filter in my Explorer was starting to get a little dirty. This weekend, at 9200 miles, I changed it, it was nasty. It was doing it's job though. I took off the intake hose and inspected the the throttle body and the mass air meter. Everything was clean as a whistle. I think that the key is the seal. The Motorcraft Filter had a contoured foam edge, that perfectly fits the airbox, where the Fram and Purolater had flat surfaces. I decided to go with a Motorcraft filter from the dealer, to keep this good seal. What are some of your thoughts, do you think that paper air filters are all the same? -Joe

Well, I think you changed you filter about 20,000 miles too early but anyway, no they are not the same. All OE filters I have seen have more media area than aftermarket replacement equivalents.

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
Well, I think you changed you filter about 20,000 miles too early but anyway, no they are not the same. All OE filters I have seen have more media area than aftermarket replacement equivalents.

Jason, if you saw this filter, you would not have waited another 20,000 miles. I drive down a dirt road about 5 miles every weekend to get to a boat ramp that puts me right at the ocean. I do agree with your comment about air filters. I was very disappointed with the Purolator air filters that I looked at this weekend. I looked at several that were missing some foam in places where the seal is, and the paper was loose on the edges. Maybe it was a bad batch
dunno.gif
-Joe

I just replaced a Purolator air filter with a Napa Gold, and the purolator felt fairly flimsy compared to the Napa. Huge difference, though I will add that the Napa gold was $4 more expensive.

I usually have to change my air filters around 4000 miles... they start to get totally black (no light goes thru the media)

your TB is most likely clean because there's no blowby coming out of the cam covers or crankcase.

If you look at a high mileage engine that wasn't maintained very well, you will find a LOT of gunk on the TB.

i have a 91 accord and i use fram..inside the intake tube after the filter there is a filmy substance. like dirt stuck to the housing. i can take it off with my finger. would that be a sealing problem?? should i clean that dirt out next time??

I haven't seen much info comparing paper filters, but concerning the sealing, I just started to put a thin ring of putty around the top of my Fram filters so that when the top is clamped on the airbox it makes a perfect seal. Some filters looked a little uneven, now I don't have to worry about the seal.

quote:

Originally posted by Sciguyjim:
I just started to put a thin ring of putty around the top of my Fram filters so that when the top is clamped on the airbox it makes a perfect seal.

What kind of putty? I like this idea as long as it cannot get into the air flow post filter.

It's just some generic, non hardening putty I got at a hobby shop or hardware store. It can't go anywhere, it's squeezed pretty tight between the filter and the can top. I'm sure it fills any gaps that might be present.

Plumbers putty works pretty well for this. I roll thin worms of it and make a line around the sealing surfaces. Let the mating pressure spread it out as needed. It if spreads past the gasket edge I use less. Warming it beforehand makes the job easier.

David

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
If you look at a high mileage engine that wasn't maintained very well, you will find a LOT of gunk on the TB.

Or any Saturn engine, no matter how many miles, or how it was maintained ...

Kev99

You maybe right with the dirty TBs on Saturns.

Several years ago my Saturns throttle started sticking. Being a mechanical simpleton I thought it was the actual cable between the pedel and the TB. I greased it several times with no result.

Was asking my son-in-law, an engine overhaul mechanic, what type of lubricant I should use on a cable. After explaining why I needed to know he was kind enough to not laugh. Took me down to the local parts store and bought some 3M Throttle Body cleaner. When we got home he pulled the breather boot and commenced to clean a ton of crap out of the Saturns TB. then proceeded to my even higher milage F-150 and discovered just a light coating of crap.

Sticking problem gone, new respect gained for the guy who stole my baby girl and knowledge increased.

If the filter is dirty it is a good sign. Only 5% of our roads are paved, so I deal with a lot of dust. A poor seal will show up with dust on the outlet side (carburetor or ductwork to the engine).
If it is getting oily or black, look for a bad pcv valve.
And be careful with putty. If a little of it breaks off and goes into the engine you've got trouble.
On my vehicles I don't go more than 18,000 km per air filter except the 4 with dual filters, where we lightly blow out the exterior filter when the presure sensor goes red. 5 cleanings of the outer filter and we change the set.

i went to napa and looked at their air filters and they were cardboard...i mean cardboard..they look like they were from a box. hahah thats funnie...it was brown thick and hard...crazy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back