Do you need phone service to run apps on a phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Torque does NOT work on iPhone. Come to think, there is NO cheap OBD device for iPhone

What is a good app for the iPhone/iTouch?

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Torque does NOT work on iPhone. Come to think, there is NO cheap OBD device for iPhone

What is a good app for the iPhone/iTouch?

Best iOS app I'm aware of for this use is Dashcommand from Palmer. The software/hardware is in $100-$150 range. It claims to do torque.

The OBDII pickings for consumer phones/handhelds are generally slim as this is not yet a mainstream commercial target market. Looks pretty for the shade tree tech impressing the neighbors, but not what I'd use to do hardcore subsystem diagnostics.

None of the smartphone/pad apps are going to be as featured/powerful as a dedicated PC suite, let alone the manufacturer-specific suites. For a Volvo, for instance, nothing betters Vadis/Vida/Dice. Ross-Tech around the corner here does aftermarket VW/Audi suites and he starts around $700. His customers don't play with phones and pads just yet.

Give it another year or so. Pads seem to be the future.

As long as you have iTunes installed, you can install and update apps on a phone without device provider service, and run them via local Wi-Fi/BT. I've got a couple "retirees" that I do that with. They make great local remote controls.

You can use it without phone service. It would be like an iPod touch at much higher price however. Unless it is for short term it is better to sell the phone and get an iPod touch instead.

Does Dynolicious do OBD-II ? The website does not mention it. If all you want to measure 0-60, you can get free BMW M Meter app for your iXxx device.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
You can run an iPhone or Android without phone service.

Sure. That's how all tablets with wi-fi only run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back