do you equip your car with a fire extinguisher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Always had one in my vehicle. I helped put out a car fire back in '79. That was the only time, but you never know. Funny thing about fire extinguishers, they seem "big enough" until you use one, then they seem all too small... Be prepared.

I also have one at the steps from kitchen to basement and two in the garage.
Once one came in handy in the kitchen. Anpther time I heard a noise and looked outside. It was a pickup had gone off the road, into a deep ditch , hit the other side of ditch. Turned over and caught fire. I went out with an extinguisher, got fire out and it turned out be an ex boss of mine.

I put together a small Emergency Kit a few years ago.

It consists of:
1) Small Pry Bar that I could possible pry a door open / break a side window.
2) Razor Blade to cut off seat-belt
3) A dozen 'white' Wash Cloths (sealed in plastic bag) in case someone is bleeding.

There's nothing worse than not being prepared and having to watch someone suffer.

I am glad that other peps do as I do, I keep one as well. Lesson learned many moons ago. And have had some to say its nuts to carry one........ One day maybe they will learn theirs
smile.gif

20131005_163915_zpsbe52d1ec.jpg

I carry one in my Truck and for sure in my 43 year old MGB.

I have not carried one, and probably won't. Seen very few fires in my time, and I question my ability to make a difference in the event of a fire/accident.

But I'll have to think about it now.

Right in front of the drivers seat OEM placement on the old Benz.
First aid Kit in the rear shelf and triangle mounted in trunk lid. Cheesy carpet on dash not OEM but protects the pristine crack prone dash well.
DSC00153.jpg

As a matter of fact, I have a Black & Decker Flame Buster in my car that I have had for years. I give it a quick shot every now and then to make sure it has pressure. It is a halon extinguisher, so no residue. I have kept some sort of fire extinguisher in my car from day one of my driving career. I recall my uncle's car having an engine compartment fire when I was a little kid. My dad caused it. Funny how certain experiences shape one's habits.

in the late 50s my dad carried an extinguisher, in his car. and had to use it once on a car on the side of the road. in the 80s both him and i got some halon extinguishers. and mom used one in the kitchen once. the halon is good as it leaves no powder. well worth the money.

Hmm. I have never considered putting an extinguisher in my car until reading this thread. I have never seen a car on fire in real life in my entire life so that might have something to do with it as well as no one I know has on in theirs either.

not mostly. but in some industrial places it can be used. like a pit, but that opens other issues. my detactched garage, and atacthed both are full after 27 years. but a small one in a car ran out in 10 years. so check then often. i would NOT recommend one with out a gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back