Do you buy professional tools or cheap ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Like anything some want the best and others like the cheap stuff. How about you?

I buy the cheap stuff.

I have a mix … used to buy more quality … but as my three sons grew up (and things walked off) … those $25 (made in USA) Craftsman screw driver sets became good enough …
(I’d hide my Klein stuff in my truck) …

A little O/T... I have a 15 year old Made in USA Craftsman mechanics tool set that has served me well. All the ratchets were replaced under warranty a year or two ago (mechanisms wore out), but with [censored] made in China Craftsman ones. Which I want to replace with something better made in USA. I dont need Snap On quality, but decent. Suggestions? Where to buy?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I use my Craftsman set that I bought 63 years ago. Used regularly for the first 40 years and I only broke one socket which was replaced. ED

That is cool

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
A little O/T... I have a 15 year old Made in USA Craftsman mechanics tool set that has served me well. All the ratchets were replaced under warranty a year or two ago (mechanisms wore out), but with [censored] made in China Craftsman ones. Which I want to replace with something better made in USA. I dont need Snap On quality, but decent. Suggestions? Where to buy?

The Harbor Freight Pittsburgh "professional" line are decent ratchets.

Armstrong.....Same as Matco
Williams
Cornwell
Hazet
Are some brand to look into.....Though they retail right around the same as Snap-on.

Originally Posted By: 9050lx
My tool boxes have tools collected since I was 12.Anything that works, wont easily break.Craftsman is cheap and available,in stock and usually fine for most things.Snap-on tools?Ya gotta be kidding on those prices.I don't care how well made it is.I love seeing the prices people will pay for them.

I'll never understand why most people are either "foam-at-the-mouth" Snap-on fan boys OR "foam-at-the-mouth" Snap-on haters??

In between. A lot of older Craftsman, some Klutch impact sockets. Channel-lock pliers. I did buy some snap-on flare nut wrenches. I can't justify spending to buy everything snap-on or matco etc. for home hobby wrenching. But i just don't want HF either. I do have some HF floor jacks/ jack stands. A couple of Blackhawk ratchets.

Last edited:
I am liking the Taiwan made stuff. Much better ratchets than those [censored] craftsman ones they have been putting in their kits for the last 15 years. The Taiwan ones actually stay in the direction you put them in.

I have a few snap on things that I wanted that are just like what my dad has but I don’t need full sets of the.

Have a mixture of Western Auto, Sears, Wards and any tool I find as well as a bunch of Navy tools when i would work on different Jets and Helos, you would be surprised of all the old tools that the Navy would throw away, now i can add Home Depot and Lowes.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: 9050lx
My tool boxes have tools collected since I was 12.Anything that works, wont easily break.Craftsman is cheap and available,in stock and usually fine for most things.Snap-on tools?Ya gotta be kidding on those prices.I don't care how well made it is.I love seeing the prices people will pay for them.

I'll never understand why most people are either "foam-at-the-mouth" Snap-on fan boys OR "foam-at-the-mouth" Snap-on haters??

Well … somebody has to hate something to like something else these days …

Originally Posted By: Trav
Add Stahlwille to that list for many tools they exceed Hazet.

I knew I forgot one.....Or two! How is Proto these days?

I have 2 blackhawk by proto ratchets. They are 72 tooth and feel very good in the hand. They seem pretty tough , but i don't wrench everyday like you guys do, so hard to say if it is up to professional mechanic quality. I like them over my 80's craftsman ratchets.

Last edited:

I keep wondering that myself since I replaced a small size open box wrench that got lost. The 20+ year old originals had a nice blasted finish with sharp broaching, this new one is poorly finished and the broaching is not tapered ground, if it didn't come direct from Proto I would swear its a fake. Made in USA it is.

Some other ones look great so I assume for some they are using another division for the stamping for some older models?
The sizing is fine and the steel is quality but finish is suffering.
I too notice a love/hate thing going on with Snap-On, they are in many cases way over priced but most of the tools are very good quality with excellent fit and finish. Their ratchets are really top shelf and worth the money IMO.

The thing to do with SnapOn (notice my misspelling of the name.
laugh.gif
) is to buy used.

I believe it was you who posted a gently used brake line wrench set that was on eBay for ~$125. I believe you were involved with the thread at least. It was a screaming deal and if not for my SK set, I would have jumped on it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
laugh.gif
) is to buy used.

I believe it was you who posted a gently used brake line wrench set that was on eBay for ~$125. I believe you were involved with the thread at least. It was a screaming deal and if not for my SK set, I would have jumped on it.

Id say that's rare.

Occasionally I can find a deal on snap on but people have delusions of grandeur about what their neglected old snap on stuff is worth often asking a few dollars off what I can buy brand new off a truck, and laughably sometimes more.

UD

Absolutely, that's where I get most of them. I bought a Snap-On 80 tooth 3/8 ratchet they guy listed as "pre owned but not used" only a little box rash, it was like brand spanking new. $40.
Got a set of USA made Armstrong 3/8 drive laser etched size sockets NOS 6-22 for super cheap (i wont tell you, that would be busting balls) free shipping (none left now). I need them like a need a hole in the head from a #2 Phillips head but for that money they have a home if they ever get used or not.

The trick is when you see a legit screaming deal jump on it as fast as you can hit the buy button, don't wait watching it and messing around it will be gone.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
laugh.gif
) is to buy used.

Trav and Clinebarger recommended the snap-on flare nut wrenches used. Clinebarger was kind enough to give me a link to a set, but i found a 6 piece wrench set that i bought for $100 plus $10 shipping. They were in great condition, i mean like almost new.

I used them last week to replace a gas line on my camper with the new refrigerator, They were sweet.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4790485/2

Those are very nice wrenches. I have these 8-22 mm from Stahlwille but would buy the Snap-On in a heartbeat also if I needed some.

I keep wondering that myself since I replaced a small size open box wrench that got lost. The 20+ year old originals had a nice blasted finish with sharp broaching, this new one is poorly finished and the broaching is not tapered ground, if it didn't come direct from Proto I would swear its a fake. Made in USA it is.

Some other ones look great so I assume for some they are using another division for the stamping for some older models?
The sizing is fine and the steel is quality but finish is suffering.
I too notice a love/hate thing going on with Snap-On, they are in many cases way over priced but most of the tools are very good quality with excellent fit and finish. Their ratchets are really top shelf and worth the money IMO.

I figured they slipped a bit, I've always viewed them as more of a industrial tool. MAC has also slipped on their finish quality over the last few years. I think my newest Proto tools are over 30 years old.

For others that don't know.....Proto & MAC are under the Stanley corporate umbrella.

Yes....I love my Snap-on ratchets, I could live without every other SO tool I own.

WELL....The ratchets & their power steering pulley service tools. Matco & MAC sell a rebranded K-D service kit, The Kent Moore & OTC tools are better but still wear out quickly. Every shop/dealership I've ever worked at had K-D, Kent Moore, or OTC & were barely usable within a years time, Granted they were being used by every tech in the shop....But every tech starts borrowing mine when the [censored] stuff gets wore out.

Puller on the right & the installer were bought in 1994, The puller on the left is a 1997 model. I had to get the nut & bearing replaced on the installer last year after one of my coworkers decided to take the bearing apart to grease it "as a favor to me", My Snap-on dealer replaced it no questions asked!

A4TlMX8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back