Do Double Clutch Downshifts Increase Synchro Wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mikeg5
what is double clutching? seriously.

I just explained it a few replies back, go back one page on this thread.

Double clutching properly as said, reduces wear on the tranny synchros. Increases wear slightly on clutch linkages, but minimal wear on the clutch if you're doing ti right. Slight decrease in fuel mileage since you have to rev the engine when double clutching down but I also double clutch all my downshifts. A habit from racing. My 3000GT's synchros are getting very difficult to find so preserving them is a good thing.

Yes, it's possible to double clutch up as well, but the only reason to do it would be if the tranny's synchros are shot (time to rebiuld or replace). To double clutch up, instead of blipping the throttle to raise rpms to where they should be when shifting into a lower gear as you do when doubleing down, you need to pause in neutral to allow the rpms to drop to where they need to for the gear you're shifting up into.

Max

i have never double cluthced. just ease into gear while gearing down for a top or just put in neutral and use the brakes.. i have never had tranny issues with any of my 5spds. and the lowest mileage was 186k miles

Last edited:
You don't double clutch on upshifts. The RPMs naturally lower and are correct.
It is for downshifts where the RPMs have to RAISE to match the speed of the gearset.
I only really do it when going from 2 or more gears up to a lower gear.

I rev match but dont double clutch syncronized gearboxes. Takes too long, never had an issue with gear grinding or jerking if I rev match on a downshift. What your dont want to do is downshift and put the "rev matching" job on the clutch. It wears it quickly

Originally Posted By: Dominic
I rev match but dont double clutch syncronized gearboxes. Takes too long,

If it's taking too long you need more practice
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back