Dishwasher not washing as good as it used to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
No, I didn't mean to use Liquid-Plumbr or Drano as detergent to clean the glasses, plates, bowls and silverware but to use it to clean the empty dishwasher only, then do a second cleaning with water only to rinse it clean.

And you're *sure* that there wasn't any residue from the toxic drain cleaner anywhere in the tub, pump, water lines, etc?

No thanks. You can do that, I'll stick with vinegar.

My first post was asking if anyone had try it. I tried Liquid-Plumbr in my previous washing machine and it work very well. My current dishwasher is fairly new, I replaced the 20+ years old about 3 years ago, I don't need to do any cleaning for it yet.

I agree with you, Liquid-Plumbr may clean the tube, pump ... well but the residue may still in there for some washes and it may contaminate the plates, glasses ...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My first post was asking if anyone had try it. I tried Liquid-Plumbr in my previous washing machine and it work very well. My current dishwasher is fairly new, I replaced the 20+ years old about 3 years ago, I don't need to do any cleaning for it yet.

I agree with you, Liquid-Plumbr may clean the tube, pump ... well but the residue may still in there for some washes and it may contaminate the plates, glasses ...

They sell dishwasher cleaner, maybe that would help.

I suspect Drano and the like would wreak havoc on parts of the dishwasher - seals, pump impellers, that kind of thing. If not the plastic or metal itself.

Don't forget that restaurants use real dishwasher detergent with phos. You can order it online without problems.

I've done this with superb results. Cheap too.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Don't forget that restaurants use real dishwasher detergent with phos. You can order it online without problems.

Locally, we have a Gordon Food Service (GFS.com) retail store.

I'm going to check there for detergent with phosphorus.

Run CLR (Calcium,Lime,Rust) through the empty dishwasher once a month. Initially you may have to do it several times in a row. That revived a poor performing dishwasher for us and we've used it for years now, same dishwasher. You can buy it practically anywhere and it works.

Did a little research on dishwasher detergents.

I did discover that Finish brand powder detergent still has some phosphorus in it. I'm assuming that was it does have in it, must be at or below the maximum allowed by the government... otherwise, it wouldn't be available.

I bought a box, and yes, it does seem to clean much better than the non-phosphorus detergents that I've used in the past.

So... this may be the best solution that is easily available for now.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Cujet

Locally, we have a Gordon Food Service (GFS.com) retail store.

I'm going to check there for detergent with phosphorus.

And found it. Cascade "Professional Line" detergent with a full dose of Phosphate. $8 for a 5 pound box.

I'm going to alternate this, every other load, with the Finish brand detergent that I found that has *some* phosphate in it.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Some people put Tang or citric acid in their dishwasher periodically to help prevent deposits from building up. Susposed to work well. You can google it for more info.
YES.....this seems to be extremely popular among the "green living" or "eco friendly" sites.....hehe.

Another thing I've heard is Lemonade Kool-Aid packets....? BUT, it has to be the 10 cent packets.....not the "just add water" kind that have the Koolaid already mixed with the sugar....obviously....makes sense when you think about it :p Cleaning the diash washer with Sugar doesn't sound good haha.

But yes.....I've noticed the white spots....in fact, it appears to be etching/marring the [censored] out of the detergent cup(s) in my dishwasher.....even to the point where the detergent cup was no longer OPENING! So.....I boiled a bot of water....not rolling boil, just "hot" enough to handle with my bare hands (elbow grease) and yea.....all sorts of chalky nasty white gritty substance was lodged in the detergent cup.....causing the cup to no longer "open" at the proper time...

So....I got the product called "Dishwasher Magic" I think it was called from Walmart......you put the product, cap-side-down in the silverware holder/rack.....and it has a wax ring on it....you run the dishwasher empty, with the Dishwasher Magic in there, with the washer on "Pots and pans" mode, and "Hot Wash" cycle (I learned the "Pots and Pans" mode is the hottest cycle....and also only agitate/clean the bottom rack....where the real "crud" lies for the most part....as mentioned, in that filter).

Anyways, after 1 run, the dishwasher returned to normal...sorta....but for [censored] and giggles I purchased another bottle, and did another empty cycle....and yes, 100% better the second cycle....the door now opens properly :p

I also noticed the door "catching" on something when I would close it after adding the detergent.....almost like sand paper sounding. After the dishwasher magic [censored], it slides freely...

But like any "maintenance" - it's due again :p

ALSO, another tip I've heard, is running White Distilled Vinegar in the Rinse Agent port.....the spot where you'd add your Jet-Dri - add White Vinegar instead.....trust me, you won't smell it on your dishes....but they do seem to come out cleaner, clearer, and stops the build up a little better.

I've recently started using Borax in my wash cycle, 1/4 cup....as per the Box label.....seems to work good too, as it is a natural water softener, and "cleaning booster" - for laundry, deodorizing, etc....

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Run CLR (Calcium,Lime,Rust) through the empty dishwasher once a month. Initially you may have to do it several times in a row. That revived a poor performing dishwasher for us and we've used it for years now, same dishwasher. You can buy it practically anywhere and it works.

That sounds like a viable option too.....I don't know how "health friendly" CLR is though....? Though, If I recall, I believe it did/does have dishwasher cleaning instructions on the bottle
wink.gif
Never actually used it for that application....but when my dishwasher was on the fritz, I was looking all over for possible solutions.....Kool-Aid seemed to be about the easiest, and cheapest.....just remember to use the "unsweetened" packets....that you're supposed to add sugar too....the premix stuff in the big tubs will not work haha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back