Disappointed in Mobil 1 Gear Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

I would consider the yellow metal thing to be an internet myth.

While this might be true, this is also NVG's reasoning for using GL-4 versus GL-5 fluids...the reason they require Syntorque and Synchromesh fluids...

steved

Quote:

Quote:

I would consider the yellow metal thing to be an internet myth.

While this might be true, this is also NVG's reasoning for using GL-4 versus GL-5 fluids...the reason they require Syntorque and Synchromesh fluids...

steved

It is more or less all mushed together - New Venture probably doesn't want old fashioned super high sulfur, high TAN fluids. Very reasonable. AND there is simply no need for the EP and FM's (or lack thereof) in a GL% diff. fluid.

(Fluids with potential to build/hold acids especially Cl- and -NO3 bearing fluids - ARE death to brass/bronze)

I'm also no fan of M1 gear lube. Royal Purple gear lube, on the other hand, is working very nicely in the several different rear differentials I've put it in.

For comparison's sake, here's a picture of the gear oil I drained from my BMW diff at 26k miles sitting beside some new Redline 75w-90 gear oil that replaced it in the diff.

I don't think it means anything, but it might give you some comfort that it is normal for a gear oil to change color in this type of environment.

IMG_1294.jpg

FWIW...Mobil1 75w90 did not hold up very well in our lab tests for differential gear/bearing tests. It does not handle high pressure applications like heavy towing. The best we tested were:

#1 GM synthetic 75w90
#2 Amsoil 75w90 severe high pressure
#3 Valvoline synthetic 75w90
#4 Mobil1 75w90 synthetic
#5 Valvoline 75w90 dino (Mobil1 barely beat it)

The issue here is mainly one of excessive viscosity at low temps. Most of the 75w-90, GL-5 rated gear lubes are formulated fairly thick in order to provide good protection in differential applications. This impacts their ability to provide good shifting in a transmission application at very low temps.

The API 90wt gear lube spec allows a lot of leeway in terms of viscosity. If you compare the GL-4 rated, Amsoil transmission/tranaxle oil to their 75w-90 Severe Gear for example, you'll see the Severe Gear is much thicker at all temps, but especially so at lower temps where shift quality is an issue.

Just to clarify:

NV4500 transmissions use the 75w-90, GL-4 rated Amsoil transmission fluid

NV5600 transmissions use the 5w-30, Amsoil MTF fluid, which does not contain extreme pressure additives, ie sulfur/phosphorus compounds.

TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back