Difference in wheel quality - impact damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admittedly from an OEM industry group, but still worthy of note....It's NOT to say that aftermarket wheels can't be good...just knockoffs can be bad...

But I gotta bling! How will total strangers know you're capable of buying pointless stuff on a heavily leveraged credit card if you can't bling?!

Mercedes and their stupid low profile tires on these cars are the real problem. My friend has the same benz/wheels, he's replaced 3 on it in 50,000 miles...

Originally Posted by Colt45ws
Thats all well and good but this market wouldnt exist if they didnt charge an obnoxious amount of money for the genuine parts.

well yes and no. Some of these aftermarkets appeal to the lower half of the population....lol. Seriously though, some of these wheel designs are clearly sub-standard and bend like toothpicks when hitting pot holes.

Originally Posted by Colt45ws
Thats all well and good but this market wouldnt exist if they didnt charge an obnoxious amount of money for the genuine parts.

Quality costs money.

My gripe is that a vulnerable element like a car's wheels shouldn't be part of any fragile bling.

Wheels should be strong.

I met a guy who preserved his factory MB wheels by running aftermarket ones. I thought that was smart.
He chose wheels with spokes made from wire stock. They disappeared once the car moved.
A novelty, yes, but it wasn't horrid as many aftermarket wheels are.

Loved ones just bought a Genesis G80 with 19" wheels. We'll see how that works out.

"the whole industry is concerned with genuine parts being substituted for non-genuine parts"

Is that backwards or just Australian lingo? (about 10 seconds into video)

Overall this is a real issue made worse by the rubber band tires.

if those had a normal sidewall size such as you see on a equinox, or even a forester.. the impact to the wheel is much less.

That pothole doesn't even look that bad compared to Ohio roads after a winter of plowing and salting.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
But I gotta bling! How will total strangers know you're capable of buying pointless stuff on a heavily leveraged credit card if you can't bling?!
I'm not sure if it is just bling. Let's say you destroy a wheel or two and the OEMs are $1000+ per wheel and an entire set of fakes is $1200. Most people will not want to pay 300%+ more for wheels that they see as identical, especially if they are obviously cast off an OEM like the one in the video.

On Kijiji, there are more new BBS/HRE "reps" than genuine used or new. Only enthusiasts with deep pockets will pay for a genuine set of aftermarket wheels.

I've also seen the wheel weight argument used here on BITOG. OEM wheels are heavier because they are stronger, where a cheap set of aftermarket wheels will be lighter. This gives the cheapskate justification in selecting cheap, tacky TireRack wheels when they don't like their OEMs anymore.

some OE wheels are better but at triple the cost they should be!! going plus you can get tires with higher sidewalls that are safer + the curb protector styles are a plus. for the same money you can get better aftermarket wheels as most OE's are cast boat anchors IMO

Originally Posted by benjy
some OE wheels are better but at triple the cost they should be!! going plus you can get tires with higher sidewalls that are safer + the curb protector styles are a plus. for the same money you can get better aftermarket wheels as most OE's are cast boat anchors IMO

OE wheels are triple the cost because insurance companies buy most of them ... !!! And the manufacturer knows this ...

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Rota?

The FLOW FORMED Konigs (like the Dekagrams), are light, fairly strong, (no, NOT gravel rally spec strong, but better than most all but the fully forged and heat treated wheels), and decently priced.
But they are VERY limited in their offset/PCD offerings.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
.....little sidewall tires.....1 trip up our dirt road and she was headed back to the tire store.
My used wheel/tire purchase with 215x40x18 inch tires have been good for 20,000+ miles.. Like the wheels a lot. But three recent bumps (no damage) on fairly minor potholes, due to recent snowfall highway degradation, show that I've got to pay attention to road conditions more. Next I will put on some 215x45x18's, but also have some 215x35x18's to be used in the future sometime. Would have to be really careful....which I already am!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira

Loved ones just bought a Genesis G80 with 19" wheels. We'll see how that works out.

GM had the bright idea of offering 21" wheels as an accessory/LPO on a few years of Camaro. Quoting tires on those is always fun.

Lots of GM "replica" wheels are out there, but they are definitely not the same. We have a Silverado delivery truck at work that came from an auction already wearing a set of 20" replicas...I tried replacing the center caps with OE after they tell off, wouldn't fit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Reddy45
I gotta ding! You's got ta care that total strangers know as little 'bout what ya buy & yer credit card, as possible. Or your bling'll be theirs.

Last edited:
I don't doubt it. Last week, my wife drove over an extension ladder on the interstate (couldn't avoid), with our Grand Cherokee in sig. It has 20" OE wheels, with 265/50 tires. I thought for sure a wheel would be bent. There was 0 damage anywhere. I had the tires rotated at DT this week. They inspected everything, and said all was "OK" (except for a few scuffs on the tires).

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Originally Posted by PandaBear
Rota?

The FLOW FORMED Konigs (like the Dekagrams), are light, fairly strong, (no, NOT gravel rally spec strong, but better than most all but the fully forged and heat treated wheels), and decently priced.
But they are VERY limited in their offset/PCD offerings.
frown.gif

Be careful with the wording lots of wheel manufactures are using these days. Rotary,spin forging is just the barrel. The face of the wheel and where the lugs attached are still cast. Which what matters.

I had Konigs when I had my miata, I had scanned with a material analyzer both the OEM wheels and Konigs where made basically made from the same cast alloy. So to me that is good.

I've scanned some Chinese made parts and got basically pot metal. Such as cheap steering wheel adapters you can find on ebay for <$10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back