Diesel oil shortage on Walmart shelves in New Mexico. Is Walmart wanting to emerge from the pandemic and only sell or promote their house brand now.

I’m in the supply chain industry with “major players“ in our portfolio. It’s a raw materials shortage and/or plastics issue contributing to what you guys are discussing. It’s also affecting aluminum and steel. I know this isn’t related but the US Gov’t also recently banned a third manufacturer of nitrile gloves from importing into the states.
Thank you. What was the reason for the ban?

My brother is a fairly big farmer. He hadn’t heard of the 15w-40 shortage, but when I told him about it yesterday, he immediately called his oil supplier and got their last 55 gallon drum of 15w-40 Delvac. He was glad I mentioned it because his old drum of oil was nearly empty and his supplier had only one drum of 15w-40 left. One less thing to worry about with the planting season starting in a few months.

Nephew went to a Shell branded Jiffy Lube to get the oil changed in his 03’ Dodge with the Cummins and they told him “no Rotella but we have a no-name brand we can use if you like “. I don’t think they get their Rotella in jugs so I think there is more to it than plastic jugs or caps for them.

I don't think it's Walmart trying to push their own brand. There's not any Supertech HDEO locally - or at least the last time I went to Walmart. Same with gear oil. Just supply chain issues.

Was at Walmart this evening and they actually had a decent stock of Rotella 15W40 so they must have got some in recently. The tractor supply down the road had some as well. Neither has had any in months and both are still very scarce on the diesel oil in general. There was no T6 5W40 at either one.

I was at TSC for dog food the other day and had to check out the oil section. Very little HDEO on the shelves.

Zero Rotella.

In the Midwest you can get At Meijers Valvoline Premium Blue 5W-40 21.50 Gallon Approved fill for cummins. I bought three for insurance.

No 15W-40 at our local WalMart. Went to Tractor Supply to buy a 2 1/2 gallon jug of Traveller 15W-40 advertised on sale. Sold out but they did have 3 one gallon jugs of Delo 400 at $17 each. I bought 2 to use in my lawn mowers and left the last one. Crazy times.

The one we have gotten most frequently has been the Mobil 1 tdt 5w40. The rotella I think we get like 12 quarts a week only right now. Enough for 1 whole oil change. Have had some valvoline and delo being used too. When our guy filled our oil the rotella 15w40’didnt get filled I’m down to maybe 15 gallons

I just ordered 4 gallons of Mobil Delvac Extreme 15W40 at $19.47 each, and a gallon of Rotella T6 15W40 $22.28 from Walmart.
Two days ago I couldn't find anything.

Last edited:
Last weekend, the Super-Walmart in Wasilla, Alaska had one or two jugs of HDEO (forget which). Of all brands and viscosities, that was it. They were wiped out!

On the gasoline engine oil side, with the exception of most Mobil-1 oils in plastic jugs, that isle was stocked.

Mobil-1 box oils were available.

Sounds like serious supply chain issues. Or, both supply chain and production issues!

At Costco, no Kirkland-branded oils are to be seen at any Alaska store. They're gone. On the flipside, Costco's loaded with Mobil-1 oils of all viscosities.

Last edited:
Last weekend, the Super-Walmart in Wasilla, Alaska had one or two jugs of HDEO (forget which). Of all brands and viscosities, that was it. They were wiped out!

On the gasoline engine oil side, with the exception of most Mobil-1 oils in plastic jugs, that isle was stocked.

Mobil-1 box oils were available.

Sounds like serious supply chain issues. Or, both supply chain and production issues!

At Costco, no Kirkland-branded oils are to be seen at any Alaska store. They're gone. On the flipside, Costco's loaded with Mobil-1 oils of all viscosities.
Same situation in Delaware. I was able to find enough 15-40 for 4 oil changes after checking 4 stores.

This oil shortage has been going on for months. I think its an artificial shortage.... just like toilet paper.

There was enough toilet paper to go around, but once people saw a shortage, they bought way more than they needed. Which is happening now with diesel oil. When people find it in stock, they buy a few oil changes worth. Which leaves the shelves pretty empty.

This oil shortage has been going on for months. I think its an artificial shortage.... just like toilet paper.

There was enough toilet paper to go around, but once people saw a shortage, they bought way more than they needed. Which is happening now with diesel oil. When people find it in stock, they buy a few oil changes worth. Which leaves the shelves pretty empty.
Staff at the local Napa told me that they have no idea when more shipments of diesel oil are coming. They were originally told after the New Year but it never happened. They are even running out of 55 gallon barrels for commercial garages/farms. Same at Autozone, no shipments.

Back