Diesel additives for DPF/EGR longevity

I'm a semi mechanic. I work on natural gas and diesel semis. The best thing you can do for a modern diesel is not let it idle for prolonged periods. That includes warming the engine up, too. The old herd thought of needing to warm up a diesel won't gain you any miles. It will however net you less miles on $$$ components.

How much idle for cool Down?

I have a 2022 6.7 Cummins that I took ownership of in February of 2022.

In 16 months I’ve put 38k miles on it. it goes through an automatic regen every 500-600 miles or so. I haven’t monitored it in a while. I do a **** ton of highway driving though.

Idling is bad for any modern diesel. I work around hundreds of pieces of equipment and trucks with dpf and scr systems and the ones that idle the most, have the most emissions problems.

One other thing is if you do end up having dpf issues where it needs to be replaced, most times the dpf can be “ re-cored “ where they just cut it out and weld in a new one.

It’s significantly cheaper to do this vs replacing it and all the associated exhaust piping.

1. 120-150k miles

2. Additives help indirectly. Good clean injectors will help keep the dpf cleaner but they all will eventually load up with ash which cannot be burned off and has to be removed.

Archoil help the diesel burn more completely thereby lowering the ash load in the dpf. ive seen fleets that use it with a lot of idle time have very little trouble out of exhaust treatment systems.

I have a few questions about the DPF and EGR. The more I read about it the more worried it makes me. I have a 2017 LR Discovery 3.0l TD6 with 65k miles that I've owned as a CPO since 6800miles. I'm reading some horror stories about cost and part availability for people getting higher mileage on these with regards to the DPF/EGR system.

1) In general how many miles is a DPF filter supposed to last for?
2) Can diesel additives prolong the life?

There are some additives out there like Hot Shot Diesel Extreme I'm about to run through my tank then I purchase two bottles of the Hot Shot's Every Day Treatment to start running with all my fill ups. From what I've read on some LR forums and watched on youtube reviews the Diesel Extreme seems to make a noticeable difference cleaning things out and the EDT seems to increase people's drivability across the board.

I use to think everything was snake oil then ran a few bottles through an old diesel truck of my dads and it legit cleaned it up and got it running better. I had someone once say "If it worked they'd be adding to the fuel" but then had a counterpoint made that with as much fuel as they sell they're out there trying to make the best margins they can. It's why there's different tiers of diesel with the Tier 1 coming around that has the higher cetane levels. Unfortunately even in Houston, Tx there's only two Tier 1 places (Costco) and neither are anywhere practical to my home. For a EGR valve and DPF replacement at the dealership it's something like $7k based on what someone else is going through. So I'd rather do what I can to prolong things.
Cetane improver such as 2EHN (2–Ethylhexyl nitrate) and detergents which keep the injector tips clean.
2EHN is the most common improver used commercially and only a few companies use it in retail store additive packages (ex Liqui Moly). There are cheaper improvers used in other retail additives like PowerService but, IMO, 2EHN is the gold standard.

Note: If your diesel is blended with some amount of biodiesel then a cetane improver will have less of a benefit because it'll already be in the upper 40's/low 50s.

When I had a diesel I bought from the company blow in bulk and used my own jar for dosing. Call them and see what they recommend.

Basically you want to encourage as complete combustion as possible so excess soot isn't being sent to the DPF and through the EGR. How that translates into additional miles driven prior to servicing I have no idea.

Last edited:
To give a TL;DR answer.

There is no current technology that will keep your EGR and DPF clean.

Not all fuel additives work on all fuels. Not all fuels are created equally. Not all tanks are maintained to the same standards.

Keeping clean, fresh fuel is essential.

A basic fuel additive can help keep injectors clean, keep the combustion cycle cleaner. Etc.

But there’s no single miracle cure.

Source: I am owner of a company that manufactures fuel additives, have a few EPA licensed fuel additives. A fleet of trucks. A tank cleaning company. Etc.

In the fuel sampling I’ve done in 2023 so far - which is several major source points - cetane isn’t a huge concern. It averages now in the middle 50 points. 54-56.

There’s a lot of nuances to this conversation that is a deep rabbit hole. But that’s the TL;DR.

In my owners manual The 6.7 Cummins has a chart for time based on conditions. It's like 45 or 60 seconds or less for stop and go traffic, 1-2 minutes under a load in traffic, half load is 2-3 minutes etc.

Its not the best chart. I do a lot of highway driving, sometimes 80+ mph with 15 psi+ boost. I give it minimum 3 minutes (usually 3:30-4 minutes) when coming straight off the highway.

I still wont do a hot shutdown unless it isnt warmed up and I'm rolling into kum and go or caseys

i'm picking up a trailer in KC tommorow, its going to be my first 5 ton pull. I wont be running and gunning with a heavy trailer tho

I have a 2022 6.7 Cummins that I took ownership of in February of 2022.

In 16 months I’ve put 38k miles on it. it goes through an automatic regen every 500-600 miles or so. I haven’t monitored it in a while. I do a **** ton of highway driving though.
13-18 6.7 performs an active regen every 24 engine hrs. Miles aren't a factor. Not sure if this changed 19+ when they updated the engine internals/cp4.

I don't know that it helps. But I perform a stationary desoot once per year prior to an oil change. One thing it does is keep a lower % in the filter longer after the fact. I figure it can't hurt anything.

13-18 6.7 performs an active regen every 24 engine hrs. Miles aren't a factor. Not sure if this changed 19+ when they updated the engine internals/cp4.

I don't know that it helps. But I perform a stationary desoot once per year prior to an oil change. One thing it does is keep a lower % in the filter longer after the fact. I figure it can't hurt anything.

yeah I could see it being every 24 hours. How do you perform a stationary desoot?

EGR can be blocked off and turned off with software, thats the best way "prolonging" life of the EGR. DPF have a purpose to trap soot so it always get clogged, but i suppose most diesel passenger cars have ability to regenerate DPF filter as you drive along. I bought a iCarsoft scan tool that support stationary soot regeneration, something that worked well on my diesel Alfa Romeo 159. Regeneration is kinda the best way to prolong DPF service life. So if your diesel car support stationary soot regeneration, get a scantool to force start stationary regeneration and maybe perform that once in few months.

1) In general how many miles is a DPF filter supposed to last for?
depends on many variables, mine in one of my work trucks lasted 100k until I had issues, but then had it deleted, so it lasted until I had the useless thing deleted.
Can diesel additives prolong the life?
I am sure that some will say it does, but there is no way to know if adding anything would contribute to life of the useless filter. Anyone who says otherwise is speculating. Many factors contribute to the life of the filter, most of which is running at idle, and not getting it hot. Could there be one, sure, is the cost worth adding an additive? that is up to you. If you were to have 10 trucks, run them 100k, do all the same services to them, and assuming that all the trucks had the same mechanical conditions, adding different additives to each, then remove the filters for examination, that would be a definitive answer to your question.

My advice, use what you want, make sure you get good fuel, change the fuel filters regularly, and get the thing hot, drive it hard sometimes and you will get the max life out of the useless filter which you should have deleted anyway.

EGR can be blocked off and turned off with software, thats the best way "prolonging" life of the EGR. DPF have a purpose to trap soot so it always get clogged, but i suppose most diesel passenger cars have ability to regenerate DPF filter as you drive along. I bought a iCarsoft scan tool that support stationary soot regeneration, something that worked well on my diesel Alfa Romeo 159. Regeneration is kinda the best way to prolong DPF service life. So if your diesel car support stationary soot regeneration, get a scantool to force start stationary regeneration and maybe perform that once in few months.
VW's and I'm sure other passenger diesels will do a passive regen at certain speed & load conditions more than likely highway travel. They raise the temp in the DPF enough that it does a slow burn of sorts I guess. Active regen is still the preferred method.

VW's and I'm sure other passenger diesels will do a passive regen at certain speed & load conditions more than likely highway travel. They raise the temp in the DPF enough that it does a slow burn of sorts I guess. Active regen is still the preferred method.
Plop all the nasties out all at once as oppose to sprinkling the nasties over a long period of time......science

Hi
Fwiw, i always use a Diesel additive for use in my Mercedes OM642. In eight years of ownership i have had no issues with EGR or turbo vanes. I have no DPF.
Maybe i would have had no issues had i not used the additive, who knows?
The additive i use is as follows. Maybe someone could explain the ingredients please. Is this just a pretty standard additive recipe that is common to most products of this type?

Thank you.

Back