Did I miss something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Well now I'm convinced, but I think I'll just make my own out of what I have around the house. Lighter fluid, wintergreen Halls cough drops and red #40. To make sure I get the full effect, I'll add it to the oil and gas.

Sounds good, let us know how it works.

Originally Posted By: expat

More than a year later, I was persuaded again by BITOG to try
MMO.

500cc were added during winter, 1000 miles before my scheduled oci.

200 miles into the treatment, at a stop light, I thought my engine had stalled. It had not, for the first time the engine was idling smoothly, as it has done ever since.
Oil consumption is negligible over my 5k oci, the engine runs great.

Draw your own conclusions!

Never really used MMO in the oil, not regularly anyway so I can't really comment there. I have read many positive things about using it for a cleanup. Yes - it was here on BITOG too.

I do, however, use MMO in my fuel for everything. People can say what they want, but it's my money & my equipment. If purchased by the gallon, it's not that expensive. Haven't had to clean a carb or run any type/flavor of fuel system cleaner. If it works, don't fix it.

Sometimes the simplest things in life give the greatest results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lawn_Care
Speaking of Auto-RX and similar additives, it's about time for another MMO war.
smile.gif

28.gif

Cry Havoc!

Originally Posted By: Lawn_Care
Originally Posted By: expat

More than a year later, I was persuaded again by BITOG to try
MMO.

500cc were added during winter, 1000 miles before my scheduled oci.

200 miles into the treatment, at a stop light, I thought my engine had stalled. It had not, for the first time the engine was idling smoothly, as it has done ever since.
Oil consumption is negligible over my 5k oci, the engine runs great.

Draw your own conclusions!

Never really used MMO in the oil, not regularly anyway so I can't really comment there. I have read many positive things about using it for a cleanup. Yes - it was here on BITOG too.

I do, however, use MMO in my fuel for everything. People can say what they want, but it's my money & my equipment. If purchased by the gallon, it's not that expensive. Haven't had to clean a carb or run any type/flavor of fuel system cleaner. If it works, don't fix it.

Sometimes the simplest things in life give the greatest results.

I only ever used it in the oil that one time. I used the remaining MMO in the gas tank, but did not notice any effects.

My Jeep has not been without MMO in the gas for over 3 years. It gets about 2 mpg better with the MMO, making the MMO free plus I get a little cash back to boot. And it runs better with it too.

Have used it off an on in the crankcase due to PO filth, but got serious about it a couple OCI's ago and will run it continuously at about 20% to finally clean this thing up.

Had way more grit in the filter last change than ever before, so it's working.

Originally Posted By: mdocod
Wasn't so many years ago, that Auto-RX was very heavily discussed here. I just tried looking through several pages here in the additives, and doing searches many ways, can't come up with anything.

So what happened? Was it proven to be some sort of hoax? Is the stuff still considered useful like it was before?

Go way back into the archives (Think of them as the Ar X Files, the truth is out there!)

The tide starts to turn in about 2008.

See also the sticky at the head of this forum!!

Thank you guys for all of the excellent feedback, and sharing your experience and knowledge. I'm going to skip the ARX. Might do a quick kerosene rinse in the engine (add a couple quarts of karo to engine oil and idle before draining)), other than that I think it will be fine. I actually don't think this engine has any sludge issues anyway. I found out recently that it was on a semi-synthetic for most of its oil changes.

Kerosene in the engine? Just use a good oil like Pennzoil Platinum. If you're concerned the engine is dirty, run a short oci like 3-5k miles.

Kerosene isn't good for seals and gaskets, and has no place in a crankcase.

Adding something other than oil might make you feel good, but at best all it does is drain your wallet, at worst it can do some serious damage.

My suggestion is to keep personalities out of this discussion as Frank had cancer and was on anti-cancer drugs.

An historical perspective:

Auto-RX (ARX) at the time was a triple-ester formula that was found to clean machines of all types, including IC engines, printing presses, and industrial machines.

The main application of ARX was for engines that had sludge buildup or had suspected sludge, in an era when PCMOs did not have the detergent chemistry that do modern PCMOs.

The regime was to use ARX with conventional PCMOs as it was felt that the esters in synthetics would compete with the ARX triple-ester formula. At that time, a list of conventional PCMOs was published to be used with ARX. In addition, a specific process was to be followed, and some thought this process/regime was a bit too complex and did not follow instructions, such that people had mixed results.

One of the comments that surfaced at the time was that it was very thick when cold and had to brought inside in order to add it to PCMO in the winter. My testing found it readily mixed with PCMO when brought up to operating temp and did not thicken the oil after it mixed.

Originally Posted By: DishDude
Kerosene in the engine? Just use a good oil like Pennzoil Platinum. If you're concerned the engine is dirty, run a short oci like 3-5k miles.

Adding something other than oil might make you feel good, but at best all it does is drain your wallet, at worst it can do some serious damage.

Dishdude is correct, kerosene "by itself" has no place in the crankcase.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
My suggestion is to keep personalities out of this discussion as Frank had cancer and was on anti-cancer drugs.

An historical perspective:

Auto-RX (ARX) at the time was a triple-ester formula that was found to clean machines of all types, including IC engines, printing presses, and industrial machines.

The main application of ARX was for engines that had sludge buildup or had suspected sludge, in an era when PCMOs did not have the detergent chemistry that do modern PCMOs.

The regime was to use ARX with conventional PCMOs as it was felt that the esters in synthetics would compete with the ARX triple-ester formula. At that time, a list of conventional PCMOs was published to be used with ARX. In addition, a specific process was to be followed, and some thought this process/regime was a bit too complex and did not follow instructions, such that people had mixed results.

One of the comments that surfaced at the time was that it was very thick when cold and had to brought inside in order to add it to PCMO in the winter. My testing found it readily mixed with PCMO when brought up to operating temp and did not thicken the oil after it mixed.

Originally Posted By: DishDude

Dishdude is correct, kerosene "by itself" has no place in the crankcase.

I'd just like to add, SOME people DID follow the instructions (of the day) TO THE LETTER
but the results (to be charitable) were Questionable.

Right, and some people had no problems whatsoever and thought it should work some kind of miracle.

As with most additives, expectations run high.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Right, and some people had no problems whatsoever and thought it should work some kind of miracle.

As with most additives, expectations run high.
smile.gif

I had no expectations other than it might free up-to a piston ring or two.*

The Hype (Back in the day) DID give 'others' high expectations, I agree.

Claims that could only lead to disappoint, and resentment when guarantees were not honoured.

At one time, A Rx claimed to be able to fix 95% of all engine issues!!

And the 'Fan support' on this site, made such expectations sound reasonable.

When you oversell a product, you are dancing with the D evil.

*stuck rings were free, after about 200 miles of using 20% MMO in the oil about one year after I had used two consecutive A Rx treatments.
A piston soak would probably been even more effective.

The problems with Auto-RX were basically threefold:

1.) People with engines that really had no issues dumping it in and expecting some kind of wowee results and being disappointed their 73k mi Corolla wasn't a Mustang Cobra or wasn't getting 70 mpg.

2.a.) Frank, who as MolaKule states has/had cancer, starting a grassroots company essentially by himself, on the Internet no less, at who knows what age, and going - IMO - overboard in the claims of Auto-RX. In retrospect if he'd kept it simple and qualified (see #3 below) what it reasonably could be expected to do, IMO he'd have less dissatisfied purchasers.

2.b.) I know initially Frank was honoring the money back guarantee, but I think as the volume of purchasers grew, the expectations mounted (which Auto-RX the Co. helped - but certainly was not solely responsible for), the poor use cases grew, and in more than a few cases irrational buyers reported on it, it sounds like he stopped honoring every money back request. How much his cancer/treatments contributed to this, and how much people poisoned the well, along with what Auto-RX themselves were claiming, who knows. I do know I used to read multiple threads and would just shake my head on a users irrationality of their expectations for the product. I'd also read threads where the product could reasonably be expected to work and the user wasn't seeing the results he/she though, and - lets call it odd - responses from Auto-RX would be received.

3.) Crazy expectations of the product. There would be people complaining that baked on hard carbon on the top of the valve covers wasn't magically being dissolved, or why they weren't getting some crazy mpg bump that others had got (in their full synthetic every 5k for the past 70k mi ride that didn't need a bit of cleaning), or why they weren't getting any sludge reduction after running with full synthetic for 700 mi on the clean and Oh I replaced by stuck PCV valve and I'm running synthetic for the Rinse, P.S. I have a coolant leak, why can I still see sludge in my oil fill hole? Auto-RX is good at cleaning out rings when the rings actually have reached a level they need to be cleaned, which is different for every engine and use case (based on variety of factors). It's good at cleaning out softer and somewhat firm sludge slowly in engines that actually have that, providing the oil actually flows to those areas. As mentioned in 2.b., the problem is Auto-RX website went a little overboard in what it was billing itself as, along with people irrationally using the product for their often irrational uses.

The product does work in the areas it can work in, but it will not - or least, will not effectively - in the areas it can't. All the rest of the talk of 100 years of experience or Frank yelled at me and it made me feel bad or etc. is smoke and mirrors and ego stroking.

Last edited:
^ Thanks for the synopsis of the situation.

It explains a lot and sounds very much fair and balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back