DI Engines - 100K mile Reviews ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this month's Hot Rod Magazine they mention that one of the reasons for DI was reduced start up emissions. Sorta makes sense, PFI has to inject in while engine has very little airflow; DI puts it right where it is needed.

I know the air injection pump on my Tundra is a known weak spot, and it only runs during startup. Not that I'm about to just to DI but I guess that does fix one true issue.

lol - now that's funny !
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
A BG 44 Fuel Test on a Ford DI engine : http://bgfueltest.com/
Beginning to see a patturn here of preventative measures ...

Bogus "test". From what I remember they had to run 10 dyno runs to get meaningful results and it was not that great at all (at least from the deposit cleaning). Their new site is missing a lot of the content from the old site.

Also their dyno run is BOGUS. The 2010+ Taurus SHO is an AWD car. Never sold as FWD. Yet in their dyno run video (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ofthClbBw) they clearly are using a 2WD dyno with the traction control system yelling (yellow light and wrench). Heck, the place they used, Witchita Dyno (www.witchitadyno.com) does not offer AWD dynos according to their webpage.

Don't own a DI car...Yet. So , your saying no merit to anything I bring up ? Me thinks a few VW and Volvo DI vehicle owners would disagree with your statement . For what it's worth - my proposed six point DI IVD prevention plan was endorsed by a GM mechanic friend - with the exception of using Techron every 5K miles and a CRC (or similar) intake cleaning plus throttle body cleaning every 30K miles . Any DI problems with that routine afterwards would then fall on the OEM to fix / make right should a problem occur due to DI issues ... As is said before by others - your mileage may vary .
Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: wemay

All in all, you're probably right itguy08. Way too much worrying involved in this thread.

Particularly by the people who don't even own a DI car...

Don't own a DI car...Yet. So , your saying no merit to anything I bring up ? Me thinks a few VW and Volvo DI vehicle owners would disagree with your statement . For what it's worth - my proposed six point DI IVD prevention plan was endorsed by a GM mechanic friend - with the exception of using Techron every 5K miles and a CRC (or similar) intake cleaning plus throttle body cleaning every 30K miles . Any DI problems with that routine afterwards would then fall on the OEM to fix / make right should a problem occur due to DI issues ... As is said before by others - your mileage may vary .

Lighten up Francis, I wasn't referring to you...

Lighten up Francis, ...

Ha ha ha! Stripes reference.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
A BG 44 Fuel Test on a Ford DI engine : http://bgfueltest.com/
Beginning to see a patturn here of preventative measures ...

Bogus "test". From what I remember they had to run 10 dyno runs to get meaningful results and it was not that great at all (at least from the deposit cleaning). Their new site is missing a lot of the content from the old site.

Also their dyno run is BOGUS. The 2010+ Taurus SHO is an AWD car. Never sold as FWD. Yet in their dyno run video (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ofthClbBw) they clearly are using a 2WD dyno with the traction control system yelling (yellow light and wrench). Heck, the place they used, Witchita Dyno (www.witchitadyno.com) does not offer AWD dynos according to their webpage.

Ya they probably found a way to disable it. Most FWD bias AWD cars have a FWD only failsafe. That certainly does not strengthen their case.

Ask how many Subaru guys get FWD dynos done.....lol

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Lighten up Francis, ...

Ha ha ha! Stripes reference.

+1 that just made my day haha

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Plenty of defensiveness here with regard to shortcomings of
the DI engine. I wonder why?

You nailed it- my DI turbo has only lasted a bit over 145k with no "DI issues." When, like me, you have been endlessly plagued by all those "shortcomings" you can't help but be a little bit defensive...

I am happy to hear a number of people driving a variety of DI engine vehicles are having such a good run in performance & reliabilioty ! ... I would prefer not to have to go through such a preventitive routine for a DI engine - but on the other hand , I am not going to be blind about DI intake valve deposits by throwing caution to the wind (especially when you can't add a bottle of Techron / Gumout to the gas tank and expect it to clean intake valves) .

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Plenty of defensiveness here with regard to shortcomings of
the DI engine. I wonder why?

Wait, so someone asks "are you having any issues with your car" and you respond with "nope, all's good" it's being defensive?

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

Ya they probably found a way to disable it. Most FWD bias AWD cars have a FWD only failsafe. That certainly does not strengthen their case.

Ask how many Subaru guys get FWD dynos done.....lol

So how many Subaru guys get FWD dynes done? (You said ask!
smile.gif

I'm sure the SHO has an FWD mode - there were a 1 or 2 guys on the SHO forums that had bum PTU's or rear ends and they were basically FWD sedans. But I don't think I'd make performance claims with the Traction Control/AWD system screaming - you don't know how/what it is going to do to protect the bits....

It's called trolling, pay him no mind.

ChrisD46, you are correct, the vast majority of d.i. owners drive family vehicles and could care less about bitog or oil. They go to their dealership 1000 miles over oci and get whatever oil is bulk that month. They then pick up the kids and go grocery shopping. Guess what, as MCompact and Mykl stated, ZERO,0, NO, NADA issues. I like your checklist and dont see it as an obtrusive regimen. I, for one, will just use a decent GrpIII syn (2.0T), syn/synblnd (2.4) oil and 91-93 octane Top Tier, with an occasional bottle of Techron or Seafoam thrown in. What I will not do is extend my oci past 4800 mls on the 2.0T or 7500 mls on the 2.4. More so because of my warranty than thinking the engines couldn't cope.

Last edited:
...not to mention a couple folks on here that have been using good ol' dino in their d.i. with exceptional uoa's. One being a Sonata using PYB and another using VWB, etc.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
** What I can't determine is if the study shows a benefit to using a synthetic Group IV oil and changing it early / often has an advantage over doing the same with Group III or Group II oils ?

Based on what is being said on page 16 of the document you posted, they are alluding to a possibility that low SAPS oils may be better for DI. This would be in line with Lubrizol's findings. Page 19...

https://www.lubrizol.com/EngineOilAdditives/ACEA/ConferencePapers/LowerSAPS.pdf

Of course, because our gasoline in the US is not yet ultra-low sulfur, most gasoline engine manufacturers advise against the use of low SAPS oils here because they may have difficulty lasting through a long OCI. But as long as you're willing to do more frequent oil changes, I see no issues.

It is not widely known, but low SAPS oil does not like ethanol gas. Some reaction occurs that causes excessive sludge build up. I don't think they use ethanol gas in Europe so they can recommend it.

After a lot of reading on this thread, I can only conclude that the govt. pushing the OEM manufacturers to increase mileage has put the oil companies behind in lubrication technology and they are struggling to catch up. Having said that, I don't think I would want one of these new engines until they were out for a few years and the lubrication technology had caught up.

It's called trolling, pay him no mind.

ChrisD46, you are correct, the vast majority of d.i. owners drive family vehicles and could care less about bitog or oil. They go to their dealership 1000 miles over oci and get whatever oil is bulk that month. They then pick up the kids and go grocery shopping. Guess what, as MCompact and Mykl stated, ZERO,0, NO, NADA issues. I like your checklist and dont see it as an obtrusive regimen. I, for one, will just use a decent GrpIII syn (2.0T), syn/synblnd (2.4) oil and 91-93 octane Top Tier, with an occasional bottle of Techron or Seafoam thrown in. What I will not do is extend my oci past 4800 mls on the 2.0T or 7500 mls on the 2.4. More so because of my warranty than thinking the engines couldn't cope.
Then sell their to people who join BITOG and post how to clean my sludged up engine on the car I bought.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Then sell their to people who join BITOG and post how to clean my sludged up engine on the car I bought.

Exactly.

Fact is that "most" heck the "Majority" of car owners don't have a clue about their vehicle and how it works and how to maintain it.
Many won't know about the carbon build up or the performance degredation and the car manufactures count on that.

Last edited:
Today:
2.4 GDi Theta II
Hyundai (tech line) has assured me, go with a certified API-SM/ILSAC GF-4 oil (or above since everything is SN/GF-5), Top Tier fuel or Hyundai fuel additive (Techron) to keep injector spray consistent, all will be fine. Synthetic oil is not necessary nor worth the expense at the industry conservative oil change intervals listed in the Owner's Manual, "but that is a personal decision". "We've not seen the GDi, intake valve deposit issues that were experienced by other manufacturers in the early 2000's that most have now sorted out".

Us Direct Injection owners are just answering a question that was asked. We answered with honest opinion based on the experience had as well as sharing what we read in the various Forums we either belong to or visit. If you don't like/want/trust the technology, simple - don't buy it, that's understandable. But i, for one, am very happy with our purchase.

smile.gif

Last edited:

Us Direct Injection owners are just answering a question that was asked. We answered with honest opinion based on the experience had as well as sharing what we read in the various Forums we either belong to or visit. If you don't like/want/trust the technology, simple - don't buy it, that's understandable. But i, for one, am very happy with our purchase.

smile.gif

Same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back