Dex 3 to Pennzoil syncromesh on camaro T-56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im currently running regular dex 3 on LT1 camaro T-56 6 speed, it shift fine, but when racing at high rpm, or when it getting really hot, it dont do too well, and when I shift to second gear sometime it made a small grind noise. it only does that when the tranny is going on extreme hot condition, when it cold it shift good. Alot peoples I know going from dex 3 to pennzoil syncromesh with good result, my question is, since dex 3 fluid is red, its ok to drain and put on pennzoil syncromesh, will it make this fluid having red tint ? just wonder its ok.

If you are having a problem with heat I would add an aftermarket cooler, perhaps a Magnefine after the cooler also.

No help on Syncromesh, sorry.

If it specs ATF I would not run the Pennzoil syncromesh fluid. If you are having temp problems, I would use the Amsoil ATF or Mobil 1 ATF.

my tranny have sticker say DEX 3 only. Yes I am having high temperture shift to second gear, it go in, but some time I heard grind. Mobil 1 ATF is dex 3 compatible ?

BTW Im drain and fill oreilly ATF dex/mercon , just wonder if this fluid is not a quality fluid ( wonder who made oreilly fluid ). should I go with valvoline dex/mercon ?

Last edited by a moderator:
ATF is generally NOT better than a dedicated manual trans fluid.
Some trannys [like yours] need it, for special reasons.
But many have had great success with full synthetic Redline MTL. Amsoil MTF, or dino Pennzoil Synchromesh in a trans like yours.

I'd go to special dedicated forums online to check it out.
There are known problems, and many have advice. Throw out the oddballs at either end, and concentrate on what the majority uses and seems safe.

I personally would not use ATF in a manual trans unless I had to.

is all dino dex 3 atf the same quality ? what is most high quality dino dex 3 atf availible now ? valvoline ?

I suppose it's possible that not all conventional Dex III's are equal. I don't think Valvoline has a synthetic Dex III since their Maxlife is a low viscosity formula. As was mentioned Mobil 1, Amsoil and Redline would be better choices.

Valvoline Dex/Mercon is a mineral ATF. I would use either the Amsoil ATF or the Mobil 1 ATF, either will work well in DexIII/Mercon applications.

FYI, Dexron III is no longer licensed by GM as they now license only their Dexron VI.

You've stated before that you have what, something like 120K miles on this 4th gen?

If your synchros and blocker rings are starting to go from wear/abuse, NO fluid is going to 'bring them back'.

That being said, with your mileage, and in your climate, the Pennzoil Snycromesh is fine to use.

I have used it in the past, and the only problems it ever gave me were on VERY cold winter mornings it would grind (slightly) into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (even shifting VERY gently and easy) until the fluid heated up a bit.

The only fluid that was ever horrid in my T56 was the Royal Purple Synchromax.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
If you are having a problem with heat I would add an aftermarket cooler, perhaps a Magnefine after the cooler also.

It is VERY costly to put a cooler on the T56es.

Lou Gilotti offers one, but it is ~$1000.00!!!
crazy2.gif

Even if he fabbed one up himself it would be a fair amount of coin between the pump/switch/relay/wiring, cooler, braided lines, and an fittings.

so mobil 1 multi vehicle is campatible with dex 3 application ? i just order 4 quart since it only 5 dollar a quart ( with gm discount hehe )

Thank Jonny, just drain out and put in mobil 1, driving around town and get on highway, seem smooth and quiet, definaly feel different from oreilly brand atf, think I note is my shifter is alot lighter to put on each gear, like knife cut thru butter, compair to oreilly brand atf, with it, it still get on gear smooth, but not that smooth like mobil 1, is this normal ? how often I need to change out with mobil 1 on it ? im driving every day, year round, and drive hard here and their some time.

BTW the mobil 1 atf, is kinda darker, like grape juice, but its red. and the smell is alot sweat and strong then other regular dino atf, is this normal ? mobil 1 atf is quaily oil right ?

Yes, the Mobil 1 ATF is a very high quality product. Considering the way you drive, I would change it around every 25-30K, maybe a little sooner if you are really going to abuse it. The new Mobil 1 ATF does have a funny smell but it is not the only one that has that smell.

Enjoy your car.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Yes, the Mobil 1 ATF is a very high quality product. Considering the way you drive, I would change it around every 25-30K, maybe a little sooner if you are really going to abuse it. The new Mobil 1 ATF does have a funny smell but it is not the only one that has that smell.

Enjoy your car.

Thank Johnny ! Now I can sleep well :)

Before i say this...I am NOT an Amsoil fanboy. That being said, I have heard good results with Amsoil's torque drive ATF. It is actually a heavy duty fluid designed for heavy equipment use such as used in Allison transmissions. It has a Dexron3 & Mercon rating but supposedly is minimally friction modified. This limited use of friction modifiers will go a long way towards preventing that grind that you notice at high rpms. I personally have found Mobil-1's ATF's to make the problem worse as i believe their products have a higher amount of friction modifiers.

Originally Posted By: Hammer
Before i say this...I am NOT an Amsoil fanboy. That being said, I have heard good results with Amsoil's torque drive ATF. It is actually a heavy duty fluid designed for heavy equipment use such as used in Allison transmissions. It has a Dexron3 & Mercon rating but supposedly is minimally friction modified. This limited use of friction modifiers will go a long way towards preventing that grind that you notice at high rpms. I personally have found Mobil-1's ATF's to make the problem worse as i believe their products have a higher amount of friction modifiers.

Thanks for the info, I also heard the same thing, about torque drive, I choose mobil one cause my part store have it on the shelf, amsoil have to wait few day, im not a patient person hehe. Imma running mobil 1 for a while for few thousand miles or so, before I can make decision on try different product. as for now, I feel it running alot smooth then reguler dex 3.

I would echo what Mechtech2 stated; I have never seen an ATF with the proper friction modifiers for good synchro engagement, especially once the atf thins out or shears.

For Mississippi, I would use a thicker fluid (higher viscosity) dedicated MTL fluid as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back