Deutz 2cyl diesel "puff" of smoke out intake cyl 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope this is the right forum!

I'm trying to get a deutz 2cyl F2L410 air cooled diesel running that has been sitting for awhile. It is a small air cooled engine about 20 hp. The F2L411 model seems to be a much more common engine of very similar design, when looking for parts/diagrams. I have a service manual.

Note: when cleaning up parts I noticed that the #2 cylinder side exhaust had a more black build up than the other side.

Haven't been able to get it to run yet but it is turning over fine. Fuel is getting to the injectors (injector nuts cracked to bleed air), new lines and new fuel from external tank.

Note: Exhaust and intake manifold are currently disconnected, is this OK to try to (briefly) start/run it like this?

Observations: When cranking there is some smoke coming out the exhaust, not much. What concerns me is a small puff of whitish smoke that comes out the intake on the #2 cylinder. This happens once per full engine revolution. It's just a small puff, but also if you put your hand to the exhaust, it seems like the #1 cylinder exhaust pushes out with more force than the #2 cylinder..

(Could this be normal?)

I haven't been able to borrow a diesel compression tester yet to check compression.

I am hoping / thinking it might be something valve/ lifter related, but I really don't know where to start.

Is it possible that anyone could get me headed in the right direction?

Thank you, your advice is very much appreciated

It's been a while but I used to work on Deutz....yep, check compression. You adjust the compression by adding shims under the cylinder and check clearances using soft solder between the piston and head (add a small piece of solder, rotate the engine one rev, and measure the thickness....add/subtract shims as required). I can look up the required clearance if needed but if you have the manual it should be in there.

Cylinder heads require lapping to seal also....I used valve grinding compound and rotated away.

You could try starting fluid to get it started. A bit risky on diesel engines, but used with care, it could help.

The slight puff is probably vaporized fuel. Possibly sneaking past a valve that is not seating fully.

If we assume the engine internals are OK, it's possible the injectors are not working properly, and/or compression is low (possibly from sitting a long time)

Does it use "glow plugs" ? If so, they will probably need to be working.

Starting fluid is a good idea although I'd use WD40 myself.....disconnect the GP's first. It sounds like #2 is trying to fire and these usually smoke white when starting. If it starts on WD40/starting fluid, you'll have to look at the injectors closer....see if they'll "pop" when out of the head and connected to the fuel line.....they can be difficult to bleed sometimes.

I missed that is was smoking out of the intake port but it should still fire.....yeah a valve might be unsteaed a bit but it sounds more like an injector/fuel issue.

Fuel. Unblug glowplugs , crack throttle roll it to speed and give it a wiff of starting juice. wd40 was a good option but i have heard they have changed the formula. low VOC= low flamablity.

I start a diesel rehab. with the following:
Seafoam and mmo filled fuel filter(s)
glowplug(s)
fresh fuel. i prefer bio blends that naturally cleans and lubes
bleed fuel system.
Try to light the fires.

Kenny

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
Starting fluid is a good idea although I'd use WD40 myself.....disconnect the GP's first.

Use spray carburetor cleaner, NOT starting fluid (ether) or WD40. Starting fluid can blow the head right off of a diesel. The new WD40 formulation won't burn, the old formulation used butane as a propellant and alcohol as a drying agent, it was highly flammable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back