Demolition derby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to my 2nd demo derby last night at the CO State Fair. I must say, I'd rather watch cars bash the [censored] out of each other then pretty much any other form of motorsport! Quite entertaining. Any of you guys regularly attend events like this? I'd like to see some of the other redneck motorsports, like when they play soccer with a huge soccer ball, or flag/pole racing. Figure 8 racing is awesome as well.

When the first "Worlds Wildest Police Chases" special came out on Fox I was spellbound. At the time there was no other compilation quite like it, and it was way pre-youtube. Made great water cooler conversation.

My observation: American Iron is what you want to be in. Even stuff like late 80s FWD delta 88s seemed to do quite nicely.

Been to them, hang been in them, have been doing it for about ten years. Quite a rush, always get butterflies in the stomache but after that first hit its all over then its game time. Never won a feature. have won my heat twice, runner up three times, best of show runner up. I do it strictly for fun, some guys get into it to hard core, cheating and other things some guys got banned for fighting in the pits, kinda ruins it for everyone, and for what a few bucks and some cheap trophy. That is why I said for fun cause it keeps it fun.

They had a 3/4 ton truck derby at the show last night. WOW.
shocked2.gif
A modern 3/4 ton truck would have been obliterated. The winner was probably a mid 80s F250. That thing was a TANK. One hit was against a Suburban - the Ford lined up all the way across the stadium and when full bore backwards into the front quarter panel of the Chevy - hit it so hard it flipped the Burb on it's lid - The ford kept on going like it hit a shopping cart.

Love demolition derbys too! But my new favorite is the motorhome demo. It started at the Orange County Fair in CA last year. 1970's class C's beating the stuffing out of each other. That's entertainment!

The ones here are fixed! They already know who is going to win. It's 3 or 4 guys that beat up the other cars so that they are the only ones left then let one guy win and then split the cash.

We stopped sponsoring the derby when this started.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
They had a 3/4 ton truck derby at the show last night. WOW.
shocked2.gif
A modern 3/4 ton truck would have been obliterated. The winner was probably a mid 80s F250. That thing was a TANK. One hit was against a Suburban - the Ford lined up all the way across the stadium and when full bore backwards into the front quarter panel of the Chevy - hit it so hard it flipped the Burb on it's lid - The ford kept on going like it hit a shopping cart.
I do wonder how an Econoline would have fared :)

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
Saw a recent episode of Top Gear where they raced city buses, including articulated buses. It turned into a demolition derby. What fun!

So far, I've seen such episodes involving MPV (we would call them minivans), airport vehicles, such as the luggage trolley, catering truck, a bendy-bus, the aircraft tractor, a fire truck, and so forth.

I've also seen the bus episode you mention.

I was thinking of the same thing when I saw the RV demo mentioned as they also did one with RVs.

You had to spend the night in your RV and then race it the next day. So if you threw all the stuff out the night before to lighten your RV, then your night was not as comfortable. But if you kept it all inside, then your RV was heavier the next day for the race.

Went to my 2nd demo derby last night at the CO State Fair. I must say, I'd rather watch cars bash the [censored] out of each other then pretty much any other form of motorsport! Quite entertaining. Any of you guys regularly attend events like this? I'd like to see some of the other redneck motorsports, like when they play soccer with a huge soccer ball, or flag/pole racing. Figure 8 racing is awesome as well.

I find Demolition Derby to be very boring and very far from entertainment.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

I find Demolition Derby to be very boring and very far from entertainment.

Good. Go eat some sprouts.

I can't say I will drive to far to see a demo derby. But one day after a solo race a few of us were talking and I was amazed that how many of the guys in our club were demo derby fans, and a couple of them had run cars in the past. Its a bit of a science to pick the right car how to drive it.

Check out wecrash.com. Its a demo derby forum. Its not as much of a redneck sport as one would think. These guys run 10,000 dollar race motors and biuld these cars like a real race car. I went to Metal Mayhem this year in illinois and it was nuts. It was like a $50,000 dollar purse and they came all the way from California to compete. These arent just just a bunch of hillbillies crashing junk cars, there are doctors, dentist, and even an attorney that I know of that run demos. I build and run in them, its a blast but like everything else the money people are dumping into their cars is getting out of hand

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back