Delvac in a Honda Rebel 250?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think cleaning the screen is a normal maintenence thing, major surgery. I'm surprised the oil level would be low or that the old oil would appear in any way bad. My wife has a 2003 rebel, we use rotella 15w40 and change it every couple years. It burns no oil, so no need to ever check it at 9k miles. I know every year mandatory oil change, I'm kind of lax on that. Never had a problem.

It's amazing how much abuse these Japanese engines can take. I recall a couple kids who had a camp on our lake. My twelve year old nephew would hang out with them. They were haywire kids and each drove a little Honda mini bike. My nephew would ride an old 1984 Suzuki LT185 quadrunner and go riding with them for hours. Each day, before leaving to go riding, he'd do his mandatory safety check including his oil level. One day he came home early to tell me that one of the other kid's bike had stopped running and they were going to load it onto our small utility trailer to haul it back to their place. I told him to bring it to me to have a look at it. I couldn't believe how neglected those two little Hondas were. If they had eight ounces of oil between the two of them in their crank cases, that would be a generous estimate. Oil was more like black sludge. Brakes were barely working, chains sloppy, kinked and rusty, tires low on air and pretty much bald. Air filter? What air filter?

I decided to fix what I could on them and put in some fresh oil. Oil plug wouldn't come out on one of them. It just kept spinning so I just added oil to it. I couldn't get the spark plug out of the other for the same reason. Those machines were flogged mercilessly for years with virtually no maintenance yet they just kept going.

The reason that the one machine had died was that the spark plug lead came off the plug but looked like it was still connected.

When we get all concerned and doubtful about which oil to use, we need a bit of a reality check. That experience was enough to tell me that even moderate maintenance will keep most Japanese engines going for probably longer than we'll own them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back