Delvac 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Bighank:
Would there be any problems using Delvac 1
5-40wt engine oil, in a 2002 Dodge 4x4 truck?
I planed to use Mobil 1, at the first oil change,
but after seeing Bob,s film clip on Mobile 1 and
how poor it did. It seemed the Diesel oils did well. Would the higher ash level be a problem?
Dodge calls for 10w-30, how far off cauld the 5-40
be?

I don't think you would have a problem running Delvac 1. It's good stuff and in my opinion the best stuff that Exxon/Mobil makes.

I would bet that you would still see better mpg numbers using a xw40 than with a xw30 in conventional oil! Just my opinion though.

You have to remember that most european cars specify an Xw40 because of the higher HT/HS Vis.

This would especially helpful if you pull loads.

There is an excellent article here:

http://www.sae.org/servlets/index

Do a "search" for '2000-01-1993' The article is called 'Performance of an Advanced Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil'.

It describes the development of Delvac 1. 14 page article with technical information about testing, certs, wear numbers oil analysis, etc. Costs $10 and you can instantly download. I'll post a summary later.

I wonder if the paper is biased since the authors work for Exxon...

confused.gif

Oz

For over the road trucks, a tripling of normal ODI with Delvac 1 replacing a mineral based oil is almost a given. Initial oil analysis is done to confirm but as long as extended idling, heavy city driving is not part of the equation, a 60,000 mile ODI is easily achieved vs. the normal 15,000 to 20,000 mile ODI for mineral diesel engine oil. Depending on the conditions, engines, etc. further extension to 100,000 and 125,000 mile ODI is achievable with Delvac 1. Ruan is one fleet in particular that I know personally that has gone from 20,000 mile to 100,000 mile ODI.

[ August 02, 2002, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: GeorgeCLS ]

Trawler World have a very well documented 7 part article on oil and bypass filtering. Do a search for synthetic 001 to synthetic 007 as for anyone with any interest in oil etc it a well worth reading IMHO.

In the SAE article I mentioned. They changed the formula as the test was developing (they added more wear protection). As a result its difficult to see thye exact correlation but they indicated the variation in the two formulas was very slight. Anyway the data of the graphs they gave went out to 80 K oil change intervals. Irons were 50 to 80, Viscosity remained within grade, although in one test, barely. TBN's dropped to 4.5.

Properties:
Pour Point: -65F Viscosity index: 167 HTHS: 4.1 TBN 11 Noack Volatility 10 (seems high) Zinc .149 (I like that).

Someone mentioned that the tests might have been biased. I really don't think so as these are proof of product tests that Joe Sixpack doesn't see. Plus these guys are hard core PhD types, so I tend to think these tests are valid with hnest data (IMHO). Again-not really pushing the stuff. I do intend to try it and compare against the Mobil 1 10W-30 and Shaeffers 5W-30 Molly Pure Syn (I know this isn't really fair to compare a 30 wt to a 40 wt-not my fault that Shaeffers doesn't carry a 40 wt Pure syn). I also intend to try the Shaeffer 15W-40. Not sure I'll live long enough, but I have 6 cars I can play with.

[ August 03, 2002, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

Al,

Thanks very much for the numbers. I have been contacting Mobil for those numbers without any response
mad.gif
I apologize for saying my statement about being biased. It was a curiousity statement rather than an actual insult.

I wonder if the NOACK values can be deemed insignificant because of high HTHS numbers and the high amounts of Zinc (too bad it wasn't moly).

Regards,

Oz

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Is Delvac 1 ACEA A3 rated???

No, it meets ACEA E5-99/E4-99/E3-96/B4-98 sequences, since it is a diesel engine oil. But its HTHS is > 3.5 (unlike ACEA B1 or B5).

patriot.gif

[ August 06, 2002, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: geo ]

But does this therefore automatically qualify it for ACEA A3/B3? (Or maybe I should read the ACEA specs. first)
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
But does this therefore automatically qualify it for ACEA A3/B3? (Or maybe I should read the ACEA specs. first)
smile.gif

No.

ACEA B3 specifies different sulphated ash limits, and a different requirement and test method for piston cleanliness/ring sticking than B4 (Delvac 1). A3 uses different requirements and test methods for many engine tests.

patriot.gif

[ August 07, 2002, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: geo ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back