Delvac 1 LE 5W30 in BMW X5 35d

Status
Not open for further replies.
I convinced the dealer to let me try Delvac 1 LE 5W30
http://www.mobil.com/Lithuania-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_LE_5W-30.aspx
in our X5 35d diesel while still under warranty.
I'm doing a 2nd UOA of Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W30 @ 9000mi; I expect it will be exhausted as far as TAN/TBN.
The Delvac has twice the TBN (12.6) but only 1.0% ash, 800ppm P, I'm hoping to get double the oil lifetime (at least 15K miles) and hoping my breakin sized Fe levels start dropping.
One of you recently posted me that it is now FF on diesel Sprinters; very similar engine and emission system to the BMW.
Let you all know in about 10-11 months.

Charlie

Good Luck. Let us know how MPG's are affected since you'll be burning more fuel due to increased frequency in DPF regeneration.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Good Luck. Let us know how MPG's are affected since you'll be burning more fuel due to increased frequency in DPF regeneration.

Actually not true. the rate of ash accumualtion will be slightly greater but that has nothing to do with soot accumulation which occurs probably several orders of magnitude faster than ash; it burned no oil in the last OCI.
DPF burnoffs are triggered by soot accumulation.
Any thoughts on using this oil in an 09 VW Jetta TDI (507 spec)?

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

Actually not true. the rate of ash accumualtion will be slightly greater but that has nothing to do with soot accumulation which occurs probably several orders of magnitude faster than ash; it burned no oil in the last OCI.
DPF burnoffs are triggered by soot accumulation.
Any thoughts on using this oil in an 09 VW Jetta TDI (507 spec)?

Charlie

I was just going by your comment where you said, "So eventually my DPF will clog 20% early." I guess you mean that it would require replacement 20% sooner. In anycase it will be interesting to see if you're right.

As for using this oil in a 09 TDI I have no idea but I don't think it would be much different than using it in your 35d.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back