Viscosity @ 100°C: 14.8 cSt
Viscosity Index: 162
HTHS @ 150°C: 3.67 cP
Pour Point: -57° C
Flash Point: 228°C
Total Base Number (TBN): 10.5 mg KOH/g
Sulfated Ash Level: 1.0 wt. %

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/docum...us_50_Synthetic

Yup i seen that a wile ago i knew it was coming,,my dealer still has CI if it wasn't so pricey I'd stock up it's some good stuff(PAO)!!!

There was some issue with the JD 0w40 CI-4 not working well in certain diesel engine applications, but I can't remember what it was. Anyone remember? Ash levels?

Looking at the above link, I was disappointed to see that in spite of them increasing the OCI to 500 hours, they still recommend an annual OCI regardless if you have fewer hours. It's probably a "cover your rear end" type of thing.

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
Where can you get it and what does it cost?

Online or at Deere dealers. I think $5 to $7 a quart?

In my part of the wold i believe it's a Exxon product and yea around 6-7 a qt.

never heard about any problems with it.

I had a problem with the older formulation (CH-4?) not being able to handle usld. I can't explain why, but when we switched to usld a few years back all of the sudden fuel dilution spiked in uoa's.
After contemplating sending in the injection pump and talking to deere,they told me they have seen this before.

Deere bought me 7 gallons of oil(plus 50 15w-40 CI-4) plus a filter (6076 deere) to try and see if it rectified the problem,
over 1,500 hrs. later the injection pump, or anything else hasn't been repaired and uoa's are stellar once again.

Like I stated above I don't know the specifics as to why this happened, but the end result deere & co. stood behind thier product 100% and the oil and filter was a bonus

Roadrunner, I have heard of injection pumps acting funny when the wrong oil is used. Apparently the pumps on some of the old IH diesels will knock if you don't use the CIH low ash 30wt.

As for how much this oil costs, I can't find a price online as it's a vendor supplied item. Looks like it's only available in 1 gallon & 5 gallon buckets & 55 gallon drums.

I had used the old formula off and on in several different engines (7.3 powerstroke) with great resulst.
the problem started when our fuel went to usld in the 7.6 deere.

i'm sure the CJ-4 is a great oil, and along with the new 15w-40 & 10w-30 deere is telling us 500hrs on oci.

I work at a Deere dealer in st. louis MO. That oil lists for $32 a 1 gallon container(we have 9 gallons). I can't find a price for the 5 gallon bucket & 55 gallon drums. According to deere's dealer locator, as far as i can tell, we are the only dealer in MO to have any, and only 1 dealer in IL has any. Looks like if you aren't in a northern state or canada, it's going to be real hard to come by.

Originally Posted By: bindernut
I work at a Deere dealer in st. louis MO. That oil lists for $32 a 1 gallon container(we have 9 gallons). I can't find a price for the 5 gallon bucket & 55 gallon drums. According to deere's dealer locator, as far as i can tell, we are the only dealer in MO to have any, and only 1 dealer in IL has any. Looks like if you aren't in a northern state or canada, it's going to be real hard to come by.

Thanks for your post and welcome to the site...

yea it's pricey but it's good stuff,we have some at our stores but being in MI i can see why,i get a farm 10% no tax discount and still little pricey.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The new CJ-4 specs look significantly worse than the CH-4 was.

Can you clarify?

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
The older 0W40 has an HTHS of 3.97 and a TBN of 12.8. Is 3.67 a typo?

Charlie

Not unless there web site has a typo, why you ask a 3.67 is not good enough?

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: m37charlie
The older 0W40 has an HTHS of 3.97 and a TBN of 12.8. Is 3.67 a typo?

Charlie

Not unless there web site has a typo, why you ask a 3.67 is not good enough?

Well, for one thing 3.7* is the lower limit for xW40 oils and also all "C" type oils.
According to Deere's own literature:

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/featbene/DKB801_Plus50.pdf

"Higher is better"

Charlie

* I was wrong, 3.5 is the lower limit!
But 3.67 seems kind of low for an xW40 and especially since the previous version was 3.97

Last edited:
the higher TBN is not as nearly critical of a number with the advent of USLD fuel. with the plus 50 CJ-4 deere oil, even with the now lower TBN, they told me I can extend my oci from 375 hrs. to 500 hrs. Manual states 250 hrs. unless plus 50 is used along with a deere filter, then 50% increase, which took me to 375hrs. Now at 500hrs., even with the lower TBN, is almost unbelievable. UOA will tell in time.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
the higher TBN is not as nearly critical of a number with the advent of USLD fuel. with the plus 50 CJ-4 deere oil, even with the now lower TBN, they told me I can extend my oci from 375 hrs. to 500 hrs. Manual states 250 hrs. unless plus 50 is used along with a deere filter, then 50% increase, which took me to 375hrs. Now at 500hrs., even with the lower TBN, is almost unbelievable. UOA will tell in time.

Hey road did you ever get a accurate price on this CH oil? 5 gal pail or qts..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back