Decent Floor Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Some items or tools from HF are not such good quality. Others are OK and some are great. Just depends on what you are buying and how much it will be used I guess. For the weekend projects around my house and at-home car maintenance and repairs, HF tools usually work fine. HF tools may or may not stand up to professional everyday use.

I have this jack from HF:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94629

I use it more than I thought I would when I bought it, but still only a few times a month. It is a really good jack, works great and has had no problems at all. I think they are on sale this month too, I think for $59.99. That's what I paid for mine when I got it about a year and a half ago. You may need the coupon for the sale price, check the flyer in the store if you don't have one already. I get the HF sales flyer in the mail.

Originally Posted By: davefr
Originally Posted By: FL-400S
is this the one from costco ?

No. This is the same as the one sold at Costco stores: (however it's a lot cheaper then NT).

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200345429_200345429

I like that one! 21 inches of lift. Ill try to sneak past the guard at costco and see if they have it. Either that or call and ask
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Agreed. Some items or tools from HF are not such good quality. Others are OK and some are great. Just depends on what you are buying and how much it will be used I guess. For the weekend projects around my house and at-home car maintenance and repairs, HF tools usually work fine. HF tools may or may not stand up to professional everyday use.

I have this jack from HF:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94629

I use it more than I thought I would when I bought it, but still only a few times a month. It is a really good jack, works great and has had no problems at all. I think they are on sale this month too, I think for $59.99. That's what I paid for mine when I got it about a year and a half ago. You may need the coupon for the sale price, check the flyer in the store if you don't have one already. I get the HF sales flyer in the mail.

I'm looking at that jack. I do have a coopin(Ron White) for 59.99. Like I said, it would only see moderate use at most. I've also been looking at this one for a while at HF:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91039

Same price, ~1/3 the weight, but doesn't go as high. Thinking about it. Thanks for recommendation.

I don't understand why anyone would want an aluminum jack unless they plan to transport it a lot from shop to shop. My floor jack works the garage and driveway only so I don't care how much it weighs.

Aluminum jacks have poor capacity and poor lift height compared to similarly priced steel jacks.

Last edited:
I don't understand why anyone would want an aluminum jack unless they plan to transport it a lot from shop to shop. My floor jack works the garage and driveway only so I don't care how much it weighs.

Aluminum jacks have poor capacity and poor lift height compared to similarly priced steel jacks.

You're not old enough yet to have things getting REALLY hard to do! Warning, its coming!

Originally Posted By: jcwit

You're not old enough yet to have things getting REALLY hard to do! Warning, its coming!

Yea, but whether a jack weights 30 lbs or 100 lbs does it really matter when your rolling it over a level concrete floor? You're only overcoming a tad more friction.

Now lifting the 100 lb jack into the truck after you just purchased it is a whole different sceanario.

Yes it does make a difference, try adding arthitis of the hand and wrist and back, while getting the jack placed in the correct spot to lift the vehicle. Most would just give up and let someone else do it. Use it or lose it. Pain meds work wonders.

Like I said, you're not old enough yet.

Get the Arcan 3.5 ton from costco....I think it is around $100-120.... yes it is made in china but you will be pleasantly surprised when you open up the box as the quality is excellent.

is this the one from costco ?

No. This is the same as the one sold at Costco stores: (however it's a lot cheaper then NT).

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200345429_200345429

I like that one! 21 inches of lift. Ill try to sneak past the guard at costco and see if they have it. Either that or call and ask
wink.gif

I was thinking about getting another floor jack. There's no Costco near me. All I see is what's online at Costco and that Torin one you linked. Did you every find out if Costco has the Arcan jack in stores? I'm not really sure which one is better any way but Northern Tool seems to have a good price on the Arcan one.

Originally Posted By: inmate
I live in an apartment on second floor, so what would be a good jack to carry up and down? (hopefully it is light but good).

An aluminum floor jack, like a NASCAR, Michelin, etc. There are many manufacturers of cheap aluminum jacks.

I've got the 3.5 ton Arcan from Northern tool. Seems to be a pretty quality built piece, even if its from China. Nice 21"+ lift is nice too on the trucks. For the price, I am happy with it and would recommend it to others.

The last time I was in Discount Tire I looked at what jacks they were using in the shop. They were using American Forge and Foundry. The model 3003 (3 ton) or the 200T 2-ton Lowrider look pretty well priced for what must be durable jacks.

Originally Posted By: bigbird_1
I've got an 11 y.o. Lincoln model W93642 that has never leaked and still works perfectly . It was expensive at the time, but well worth it.
Here's a link:
http://www.buy-air-tools.com/products/W93642.cfm

The old Lincoln jacks were among the best jacks you could buy. They can still be found used, in the rare occassion someone loses their marbles and wants to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back