debating on first rifle, high point 995 VS 10/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't need the takedown feature of the 10/22, don't get one with it. The worth of such a feature is up to the user. Some find it useless, others find it useful.

Any gun shop worth their salt should have at least one 10/22 in stock.

I don't have a 10/22 takedown, but from the Ruger forums and a few online tests, they do maintain accuracy very well after repeated disassembly/assembly.

And, I want one! However, it's my opinion that the 10/22 takedown is a rifle best suited for iron sights. The "takedown" means it's best feature is that it can be easily carried in a backpack, suitcase or other small container. The addition of a scope changes that dynamic by making it much larger.

If you want a scoped rifle, the standard 10/22 or one of it's variants might be a better choice vs. the takedown. I prefer scoped rifles.

Last edited:
May I suggest getting a pistol after you buy whatever rifle you choose. Our HD gun and my carry gun is a 92FS. Completely dead nuts reliable and solid to the core.

Originally Posted By: strat81
Skip the Hi-point. Resale on them sucks, they're uglier than sin, accuracy isn't very good, and they're not known for being durable.

The 10/22 is a great little blaster, but it's only a .22LR. That's fine for rabbits and squirrels, but not so good for anything that will kick in your door in the middle of the night. Even 10 rounds delivered center of mass is not guaranteed to be a fight stopper as penetration is low.

A friend has four 10/22s, one of which is the takedown model. He's happy with it, for what it is.

Kel-Tec Sub2000 is better than a 10/22, at least in terms of caliber, but reliability reports on them aren't great.

Another option for a pistol-caliber carbine is the Beretta CX4, but that's outside your budget.

If you really need a home defense firearm for less than $350 and you can't/won't get a handgun, a shotgun is about the only thing that'll fit the bill. A 12ga pump is an expert's weapon, as they are slow to load, have significant recoil, and can be troublesome to operate properly while under stress. However, they are inexpensive, generally reliable and durable, and offer excellent terminal ballistics.

For fun and low cost, you can't beat a 10/22.

Hi strat81,
Have YOU ever owned a Hi-Point carbine? I'll guess not, because most critical reviews seem to start with "my brother-in-law's cousins' friend had one and yada,yada,yada".
I have one in .40S&W, and in my personal first-hand experience, you're right in that it's chunky, made with "ZAMAK" alloy, and was relatively cheap. The only other significant thing is that it has NEVER FAILED TO GO BANG! Factory loads, hand loads, FMJ, JHP, 135gr., 165gr., 180gr.; it doesn't matter. It has a lifetime warranty on it, to ANY owner. The design is a tribute to the owner of the company who decided that someone on a strict budget should be able to get a reliable gun for their defense. Made in America 100%.
I wonder why no one recommends a 20ga. for home defense. At my LGS, they tell me that more deer are taken with a 20ga. than a 12.
As to the 10/22, I have one of those too, and they're a real hoot to shoot and stone reliable as well.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
Hi strat81,
Have YOU ever owned a Hi-Point carbine? I'll guess not, because most critical reviews seem to start with "my brother-in-law's cousins' friend had one and yada,yada,yada".
I have one in .40S&W, and in my personal first-hand experience, you're right in that it's chunky, made with "ZAMAK" alloy, and was relatively cheap. The only other significant thing is that it has NEVER FAILED TO GO BANG! Factory loads, hand loads, FMJ, JHP, 135gr., 165gr., 180gr.; it doesn't matter. It has a lifetime warranty on it, to ANY owner. The design is a tribute to the owner of the company who decided that someone on a strict budget should be able to get a reliable gun for their defense. Made in America 100%.

No, I have never owned one. I have experience with them via students bringing them to classes, customers bringing them to a range I'm RSOing, and competitors bringing them to carbine matches and 3gun matches. I've shot them and troubleshot them. I have enough experience with them to know that I'd never purchase one or recommend one to someone else.

I don't own a Yugo either, but I know enough not to buy one.

Ownership is not mandatory for having an informed opinion.

However.... ownership, even if the opinion differs from yours, is a better source of an informed opinion then someone who has just "used and observed" others.

Your point is taken though, it is ok not to want one, or recommend one based on the facts you have at hand.

It's all good.

The 10/22 takedown has a lot going for it. If there ever was a large Hurricane Katrina style unrest in your city, you could throw the rifle in a back pack and no one would know. Also, .22 rifle is kinda affordable to shoot, and very easy to carry large quantities of ammo.

Also, people always poo poo on the .22 as a self defense caliber. While it isn't ideal, out of a rifle it is better than a .25 or .32 out of a pistol.

The takedown would be my choice.

The Hi Point carbine is a fine shooter, at least mine are. The magazine capacity is the only criticism I have of them, looks aside, so I would pick it over the 10/22.

If you're seriously thinking about spending $300 + on the 10/22, I'd seriously think about spending $400 + and get a Smith & Wesson MP - 15/22. You'll enjoy it a lot more, and so will your friends.

Yesterday a friend brought a Hi-Point 995 over to my home range. in my past, I definitely stuck my nose in the air concerning Hi-Points but never again.....his carbine was literally a blast to shoot and nary a glitch from over 500 rounds fired between the three of us.

I liked it so much I've started looking into purchasing one myself. Lest you think I'm purchasing this carbine because of the price, think again....we already own several AR's, an AK, and a .30 Carbine.....I just like this HP. The only thing I will add to it (and to his at the same time) is a R/S bolt handle which is offered on the internet. The Ruger 10/22 is a nice rifle (mine is over 30 years old) and serves us well (I prefer our newer Marlin 795 though) and a .22LR has its place for sure. I would not purchase a take-down model but only because I have no need for one.

Until yesterday I would have bashed the HP in this thread but no more. I noticed several comments on the low magazine capacity of the HP but with a handfull of magazines, it looks to be doable to weld (section) one to increase the capacity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: c502cid
You can get 15 round magazines for the HP 995 but not the 40 or the 45 carbines. Pro Mag makes them.

I stand corrected. Pro Mag lists both the 40 and 45 carbine 14/15 round mags on their website. I just ordered two to try for my 45.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The 10/22 takedown has a lot going for it. If there ever was a large Hurricane Katrina style unrest in your city, you could throw the rifle in a back pack and no one would know. Also, .22 rifle is kinda affordable to shoot, and very easy to carry large quantities of ammo.

Also, people always poo poo on the .22 as a self defense caliber. While it isn't ideal, out of a rifle it is better than a .25 or .32 out of a pistol.

The takedown would be my choice.

Yes is does. But now here is the other side of me. I love to mess with stuff. Cars, computers and etc. Having a takedown, i dont know what the market is for in terms of other stocks and mods. I can see that as being one down point.

Also you guys suggesting other guns, i love that part. But I'm in the city of chicago which pretty much is against a lot of guns. Theres so much red tape i gotta dance around. Being in chicago i'm limited to 10 or 11 round clip, that for sure is one rule. There is a lot more as well but the city/county seems to be backing off now after the courts told them to.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
While any gun is better than no gun if you are seriously considering home defense as a priority I'd choose a 12 gauge shotgun over a rifle (and even a handgun). You can buy a Stevens Model 320 with an 18.5" barrel for $250 pretty much anywhere. A Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are also solid choices if you are willing to spend $400-$500 and are available as tactical models with 18.5" barrels and extended mag tubes. Shotguns also have great versatility with buckshot and slugs....a shotgun essentially becomes a .77 caliber rifle when loaded with slugs.

Second this. #4 buck offers a lot of stopping power in a neighbor friendly package. The one thing I would add is the h&r pardners protector. Usually you can pick it up around $200 and while heavy its a pretty good 870 clone. Use that instead of my 11-87 premier LC for home defence

Re: Shotguns. If you choose to get a shotgun, IMO the best bang for the buck out there is the Maverick 88, a sub-line of Mossberg. Available in "house gun" configuration with 18.5" cyl bore barrel, holds 5+1 rounds of 12 gauge, sold in this area at a regular price of under $190 from the Academy Sports chain. One of the big sporting goods chains up there may offer a similar deal.

If anything serious ever happens here at home, the pistol is strictly secondary. I'm grabbin' my 00 buck loaded Maverick 88 *First*.

Last edited:
I agree with Uncle....not much better than a shotgun for HD. I also agree on the Maverick 88....our son just got one for less than $200 OTD and goes bang every time and the action is very smooth. Compared to my 870 there's not much difference other than the much higher price for the 870.

He uses #4 buck as well.

Originally Posted By: UncleS2
Re: Shotguns. If you choose to get a shotgun, IMO the best bang for the buck out there is the Maverick 88, a sub-line of Mossberg. Available in "house gun" configuration with 18.5" cyl bore barrel, holds 5+1 rounds of 12 gauge, sold in this area at a regular price of under $190 from the Academy Sports chain. One of the big sporting goods chains up there may offer a similar deal.

If anything serious ever happens here at home, the pistol is strictly secondary. I'm grabbin' my 00 buck loaded Maverick 88 *First*.

The Maverick is built well but in that price range I personally like the H&R Pardner Pump Protector the best. Great gun, great pointability. A bit smaller barrel so it can fit behind your door or under you bed better. $189.99.

12g would be good for HD but I'm not sure i would overlook a 10/22 carbine with Mini Mags stuffed into a 25 round mag. Buckshot and 22lr move around the same speed and with around the same mass, but the 22lr requires you to squeeze the trigger a few more times. I realize you can't get the mags there, but I can, and I'm not sure i feel under gunned with this setup in my tame haunts. At the very least my wife (or eventually the kids) could easily handle this carbine.

There was a vid on YouTube showing that the hollow point Mini Mags do actually open up when fied out of a rifle.

I wouldn't mind a takedown eventually for a trunk gun.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
Yes is does. But now here is the other side of me. I love to mess with stuff. Cars, computers and etc. Having a takedown, i dont know what the market is for in terms of other stocks and mods. I can see that as being one down point.

Also you guys suggesting other guns, i love that part. But I'm in the city of chicago which pretty much is against a lot of guns. Theres so much red tape i gotta dance around. Being in chicago i'm limited to 10 or 11 round clip, that for sure is one rule. There is a lot more as well but the city/county seems to be backing off now after the courts told them to.

Well, did you get your rifle on Black Friday? If you are still waiting, your last comments really seal the deal that you should go with the Ruger 10/22. There is not another .22 gun made that has as much after market components available, as the 10/22. There are barrels, stocks, sights, action components. You name it. It is available. You can make it your gun.

The 10/22 is a great choice for a first gun. It is reliable, very accurate for a carbine, and just plain fun.

If you select the take down model, you should all but forget about customization. The only thing you would want to customize on the take down is in the action. Anything else, such as barrel or stock, would defeat the take down design. But if you are looking for something that is easy to toss behind the seat of a pickup, and have available whenever you go camping, or for emergency preparedness, then the take down is the way to go.

Whatever you get, I hope you have lots of fun with it. The .22 is the perfect caliber for pure fun shooting. It is cheap to shoot, can be quite accurate, relatively quiet. And, if people quit hoarding the ammo, it should once again be easily available.

I didn't pull the trigger on black friday. It was too insane of a line to wait.

But i did make up my mind and now i'm just shopping for one. I'll be getting the standard 10/22. Most seem to have the wooden stock one and i want the black syn. stock.

I also talked myself into getting a combo, the price of a takedown is $300-350. I rather get a standard 10/22 for $200 and a hi-point 9mm for $169. Roughly the same price. I'm just going to hit up my local range one day to test shoot these. I've held the hipoint 9 in hand and i did like it.

Don't buy the highpoint 9mm pistol. Just save your money for something better. The carbine is a decent gun, but there are at least a kajillion better pistols. Anything from CZ, the FNS-9, M&P shield, Glocks, EAA, Taurus, [kajillions more] the list is way too long of guns worth buying over a high point pistol. At 30 cents a shot, its not worth firing it out of a high point pistol.

The 10/22 is always going to make you happy, the HP pistol will will only make you want a real 9mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back